Android: the move away from widescreen tablets?

Discussion in 'General Smartphone/Handheld/Wearable Discussion' started by Mitlov, Jul 18, 2015.

1. weegie

weegie Mobile Deity

Given the choice, I would choose anything squarer than 16:9 whether it be monitor, phone, laptop or tablet, never have been a fan and never will be.
    A lot of movies still have black bars with 16:9 aspect so there's no point in losing height for no, or little extra width [in landscape obviously]
    16:9 always was a gigantic 'have' offering nothing but savings to OEM's being able to give smaller screen areas while marketing a bigger diagonal size

scjjtt likes this.
  2. RickAgresta

RickAgresta Peanut, leader of the Peanutty Forces

For a work monitor 16:9 is nice - 2 docs open at 100%, side by side is really nice

Mitlov, Mi An and scjjtt like this.
  3. davidspalding

davidspalding Peas are patriotic

I have something from everything. I liked some of the ebook reading solutions on my iPod Touch, so last year I bought an iPad Mini on the cheap (the retina display model, now the iPad Mini 2 IIRC). I like that it has incredible screen resolution (better than the iPad Air at the time), and the 4:3 ratio is better for reading PDFs and other eBook references. Reading a PDF or a technical book on Google Play Books, comparing it with my Nexus 7 (comparable screen size) there was no competition.

I much prefer the Nexus 7 2013 (and my phone, Nexus 3), both on Lollipop, for customization, usability, functionality. Doing simple data sharing and productivity is better under Android, due to its open architecture, but doing things like reading mail, ebooks, checking weather, streaming to my Chromecast is just easier and more reliable on iOS 8.x. So sue me.

About e-mail. I was checking several mailboxes on my Nexus devices until I started getting spam to the NAMES of the mailboxes (which are never used, just the hundreds of aliases set up on my domain to forward to the mailboxes), clearly the result of some app pillaging the mailbox names, and sharing them, selling them, or losing them in data theft. So I don't do that anymore. The Gmail app also failed to read my IMAP mailboxes when the Email app was sent to detention with 5.0. So I do all that checking on iOS with its ease of use and tighter security.

NO screaming and yelling, please. My experience is my experience, and no amount of arguing will negate that. And oh by the way, the Google apps often work better on iOS. I credit their dev team.

4. jigwashere

jigwashere Mobile Deity

Nobody screams and yells on this forum. Why would you expect that? :confused:

Mitlov, scjjtt, RickAgresta and 2 others like this.
  5. Mitlov

Mitlov Shiny

I've never had a privacy issue like what you describe, but I can understand your wariness after such an incident. And while I'm not an iOS guy, there's no question that keeping your data secure requires less user involvement and forethought on iOS than Android.

On the other hand, whenever I start thinking about moving from Android to iOS for some reason or other, the customizability of Android keeps me here. My phone is currently using a third-party launcher (Nova Launcher Prime), third-party live wallpaper (Minima Pro), third-party file browser (Solid Explorer), third-party icon pack (Velur), third-party keyboard (Swype).

I'll be the first to say that straight out of the box, iOS probably offers a better user experience for most people than Android. But if you're willing to invest a bit of time to learn how to make it yours, Android offers a lot more potential.

But all that's a moot issue when Apple insists on pricing itself outside of a range I want to pay. Which is their right, but comes with the cost of losing people who don't want to pay top dollar. By buying from companies like Motorola and Asus, I save hundreds of dollars every time I get a new device. To bring this back to a device mentioned in the original post, the price difference between an Asus Zenpad 8 and an iPad Mini 3 (with comparable onboard storage) is $300, enough to pay for a long weekend camping trip. Same thing last year when I chose a Moto X 2014 over an iPhone 6 Plus. Different people's finances are different, and I'd never hassle someone about their finances and what they choose to spend money one, but for me and my family, it's hard for me to see that Apple is providing better value for us than Motorola and Asus and such.

Attached Files:

6. scjjtt

scjjtt A Former Palm User

Mitlov - what you wrote is exactly the way I feel. For those reasons I've used PC's over Apple computers & now most of everything I do is with Chrome, Chromebook & Android. I'm writing this on a $80 tablet. I still use a convert HP TouchPad. My $199 C7 Chromebook still works great. I've gone to T-Mobile a couple of years ago (here in the Phoenix we have great coverage & data speeds) mainly for the fact I don't have to keep paying for phone upgrades in my monthly bill. Right now, through the end of 2015, I have unlimited unthrolled data & my portion of the monthly bill is $40 (the tax & the carrier's fees - are lost by our 15% discount we get for Mrs. Scjjtt being a teacher). When 2015 is over I'll go back to $30 a month for 1.5 gb of unthrolled data - which is enough for me since I always have great wifi at home & at the office.

Obviously I enjoy technology but I just want to be budget conscious. We don't pay for cable TV but our biggest expense is the $70 monthly fee for high speed internet - but even that is really only $45 monthly because we were able to drop our home phone line which we kept until our alarm monitoring company set up their own wireless network (we pay $23 for monthly monitoring). We do pay for Netflix (what is that $9 or $11 monthly?).

My Tosiba (Visita ) laptop was $450 five or six years ago & still works great & Mrs. Scjjtt's Acer (Visita - Win 7) laptop was $350 four or five years ago. I was able to get our son a great Asus T-100 for $358 for his H.S. graduation last year & a few months ago a refurbished Asus T-100 for Mrs. Scjjtt for $230. Basically what I'm saying we've been able to have the tools we need to do our work for 1/3 of the cost as opposed to using Apple products.

Apple products & their iOS's are great but this has & continues to work very economically for us and I foresee that it will continue to do so.

[​IMG]

Sent from a Hisense Sero Pro 7 using Tapatalk.

Mitlov, RickAgresta and Hook like this.
  7. NamelessPlayer

NamelessPlayer Mobile Deity

I've always preferred 4:3 or 3:2 for tablets, but that's because I tend to use them in portrait orientation and hate how narrow 16:9 feels in portrait.

Despite that, I own a 16:9 tablet (Fujitsu T902) because I didn't really have any other choice after the Windows 8 push for 16:9 at the time, within my budget. At least they stepped up the resolution to 1600x900 instead of holding short at 1366x768 like most manufacturers did at the time, and that's a huge downgrade from 1280x800 when 800 pixels wide in portrait orientation is just not wide enough as is.

Thankfully, Windows 10 is at least reasonable to use on portrait again. Despite the complaints about how it works in tablet mode, I still like it far, far better than Windows 8, though I still prefer Windows 7 even more.

I haven't looked much into the Android space for tablets, but only because Samsung's tab-size Galaxy Note lineup is a complete confusing mess of models, and one that's not getting updated alongside their new Tab S models at that. No other Android tablet gets my consideration until Android M hits, and that's just because of the planned support for Bluetooth styluses of the sort typically marketed for the iPad.

I could just pick up a Wacom Cintiq Companion hybrid and call it a day, but that's nearly $1,000 used for something that never got updated past Jelly Bean and is already doomed to obsolescence as an Android tablet with no custom ROMs out there. It might as well be a Cintiq 13HD touch at that rate.

RickAgresta and jigwashere like this.
  8. Mitlov

Mitlov Shiny

I don't get the complaints about Win10 on tablets. I think Win10 is better on a tablet than Win8 was. Task View is the best multitasking tool on any tablet OS (seriously, puts Android's card-stack-style multitasker to shame, not to mention the repeated flicks to the left bezel in Win8), and I like being able to have a persistent launcher for favorite apps on the bottom (long-touch on the taskbar in tablet mode and enable "show app icons"), in addition to what you have on the start screen.

Also, I find Edge to be a FAR better tablet browser than IE Metro was. IE Metro was too limited in what it could do, and some websites simply wouldn't work with it (most notably Amazon Instant Video). Seriously, with no Amazon Instant Video app for Win8, and the IE Metro browser being unable to play videos from Amazon, I had to drop into the desktop every time I wanted to watch a video. And then controlling the video was a nightmare. Edge in tablet mode changes all that.

NamelessPlayer, scjjtt and jigwashere like this.
  9. Drillbit

Drillbit Mobile Deity

The first Android tablet with the fat format was the Nexus 9. It seemed like a signal for other makers to follow and soon they did: Samsung, then Asus. I do like the old format better for watching videos.

10. Mitlov

Mitlov Shiny

The Nexus 9 was the first really popular Android tablet with a 4:3 aspect ratio, but a number of other Android tablets predated it with 4:3 aspect ratios, including the Acer Iconia A1 and the Nokia N1.

scjjtt likes this.