Android protection of personal data from apps

Discussion in 'Android OS' started by GoodPDAuser, Aug 16, 2014.

1. GoodPDAuser

GoodPDAuser Mobile Deity

Just had a bit of time to look into some details. It turns out that some people in the past had some customs issues when ordering from Google Play Canada. But I think it was a temporary snafu in the corporate processes. But it did get me thinking about simply buying the ISP phone from Koodo Mobile and rooting it. The very thing I said I didn't want to do. Heck, I use to use linux. It can't be all that bad. Backing up, saving, installing. The geek side is so enticing, yet I know that I have other priorities that I should be devoting my time toward. I think I will find a Google forum to post on to see if the customs issues have been recently experienced, and if not, I will listen to my more mature self, buy the phone, and not get drawn into the technical depths. It's not bad if you know that you're tending to your priorities, but when the higher level reasoning part of your brain says no, then it's bad to proceed. Rooting is always an option afterward, if priorities and circumstances change.

Afternote:
    I'm not sure if different content is fed to Canadian IP addresses, but the Devices section of the Google Play site only shows Nexus devices. And there doesn't seem to be a Google Play forum anyway (http://productforums.google.com/forum/#!forum/en). A non-google forum site seems to be hardly used and doesn't cover Google Play : http://www.gforums.net. Looksl ike I'm getting ab ISP phone and rooting.

!!!!!!***** sigh ******!!!!!!!!

Last edited: Aug 24, 2014
    RickAgresta likes this.
  2. Hook

Hook Have keyboard, will travel

Yes, Google Play offers different content to different countries. I'm surprised if the Moto G isn't offered to Canada, but you never know. Sorry. Does Motorola sell them online in Canada? Motorola seems to not muck up their Android OS with a lot of software layers and you might even find a sale on the Moto X (which I think also has FM, but check first) which is *very* close to being a Nexus phone.

Sorry you are finding it so tough to get what you want.

RickAgresta and jigwashere like this.
  3. GoodPDAuser

GoodPDAuser Mobile Deity

Hey, Hook, I didn't mean to make it sound like it was yours or anyone else's fault. This problem is strictly my own, and I appreciate the advice that people have so generously provided on this forum. Perhaps this is just an excuse, but my exasperation drama may be the result of the fact that I am from a former generation, where such complications didn't exist. Then again, neither did these product & service options exist.

I'm sure Moto-G is offered in Canada, just not via the Google Play Canada site. And I did consider checking for the smartphone at the Motorola Canada site, but 2 factors dissuaded me: (i) It is not straight from Google, so who knows what unwanted-ware could be on it (your comment has assuaged that concern somewhat) and (ii) Motorola never struck me as a organization that sold directly to the end consumer, though I am revising that perception after finding it on their site. Looks like business models are changing.

I appreciate your helpful comment about the device starting to look very much like Nexus. I'll look into it.

RickAgresta likes this.
  4. lelisa13p

lelisa13p Your Super Moderator Super Moderator

Please don't worry about your demographic. Our membership spans a wide range in terms of age. :eek:ldsmile:

The process of trying to select and match a new device with a carrier and the desired features is equally nitemarish for those of all ages. :eek:ldconfused: :eek:ldfrown: :eek:ldwink:

RickAgresta likes this.
  5. GoodPDAuser

GoodPDAuser Mobile Deity

And countries --- except the US ! I'm not sure if everyone everywhere will see the same content at http://support.google.com/googleplay/answer/2462844?hl=en-CA, but it lists the devices and countries of availability. It is clear documentation of that fact that the offerings differ by country, and that Moto-G is only available in the US. Afternote: Confirmed by http://www.androidincanada.ca/andro...moto-g-now-available-still-unavailable-canada

So, as per my last posting, I did look at Nexus 5. It's more in in line with the Moto X than the Moto G that I was targeting, and it does not have an FM receiver. As before, the rationale is that they are catering to the crowd where streaming radio is available and it doesn't cost much to stream audio continuously. I suspect that this is the silicon valley crowd, Portland crowd, or the highly urban crowd along Eastern US. Also, it is the age group most likely to use Android, young hipster crowd that relies heavily on the devices for all things, and thus have a beefy data plan. A very particular demographic is driving the design of these platforms.

Further discovery: Neither the Moto's nor Nexus has a removable battery. Looks like the prime candidate is still Moto G at this point of the web search. And they are all equally disadvantaged by the permanent battery. Will just have to suck that up. One of the reasons Ye Olde iPod Touch is crippled is because I connected it to a docking station of a boom box and cranked the sucker. Thereafter, the charge indicator and charge duration were significantly messed up. My guess is voltage spikes propagating through the docking port. But a replaceable battery would have ressurected the zombie device.

More reading....

Last edited: Aug 25, 2014
  6. RickAgresta

RickAgresta General Peanut, leader of the Peanutty Forces

Again, although it may vary by locale, in the States it's not too hard to have either Apple or a "repair shop" do a battery replacement for iDevices. Also, there are many useful tutorials for do-it-yourselfers online, for devices which are *not* explicitly made for the end-user to perform a battery swap.

7. GoodPDAuser

GoodPDAuser Mobile Deity

Your post brings back memories of DIY procedures for opening Ye Olde Palm with a hair dryer to liquify the glue that held the housing together. The procedure to access the Moto G battery is less risky () but because it is unconventional, there may be challenges to getting a new replacement battery without the "service" associated with it (http://motorola-global-portal.custhelp.com/app/answers/prod_answer_detail/a_id/97432/p/30,6720,9050) (http://motorola-global-portal.custhelp.com/app/answers/prod_answer_detail/a_id/97432/p/30,6720,9050).

My experience with service depots for my laptop, both locally and sending away makes me not partial to having to do this. Therefore, unless I'm willing to go through the (admittedly less arduous compared to Palm) process for disassembling the Moto G, it can be considered a deficiency from my perspective. It's not the arduousness itself that I find dissuasive, more the risk of tearing something as I'm leverig parts out.

A friend suggested also looking at S4 mini. Next stop.

RickAgresta likes this.
  8. GoodPDAuser

GoodPDAuser Mobile Deity

I was invited to keep this thread updated with progress...Moto G purchased with positive balance on Koodo tab. Haven't had much time, but have been parsing the CyanoGenMod wiki pages and google at large to understand rooting, backing up original OS, copying to PC, unlocking boot loader, installing recoveries, and (finally) installing the CyanoGenMod. It's pretty terse documentation, so the order of the beginning few steps above may be wrong.

scjjtt, lelisa13p, Hook and 1 other person like this.