Android protection of personal data from apps

Discussion in 'Android OS' started by GoodPDAuser, Aug 16, 2014.

1. GoodPDAuser

GoodPDAuser Mobile Deity

I started a discussion of ISPware on another thread, and it naturally evolved into a general security question, and a comparison with iOS. Since then, I've decided on Android, Moto G, but feel that I need to research more to determine the risk of exposing "personal information managemment" (PIM) data to apps, e.g., contacts, notes, calendar appointments, email, browsing history, etc. Contacts & notes are most important because I sometimes store login data there. Appointments and email are important too, but I send them through my email server, so to a limited extent, they are "compromised".

Much was discussed, so I want to focus the issue not on best security practices for users, nor ISPware (unless it relates to the following), but specifically on protecting PIM data from apps. My main question is: Assuming that a duly diligent user sets all the right permissions, is the OS well built enough to enforce those settings and actually prevent apps from getting into the PIM data that they not permitted to?

And as a digression the main question above, I ran across these other interesting articles:

1) Feeding apps fake data so that you that you can still install it without compromising your data: http://bgr.com/2012/06/12/android-apps-personal-data-mod-privacy

2) Disregard for encryption -- hopefully no longer current? http://www.pocket-lint.com/news/117815-android-apps-fail-to-protect-personal-data

P.S. Has Brighthand login always been non-https?

P.P.S. Is anyone aware of a way to banish the banner about "You may have noticed that Brighthand looks a little different"? I only need to read it once.

2. lelisa13p

lelisa13p Your Super Moderator Super Moderator

Can't help with the Android stuff but AFA the banner/announcement goes, I suspect it will remain for a little while. After all, the migration happened just 3 days ago. I know it's inconvenient to have to scroll down every time but we'll manage for a bit.

3. jigwashere

jigwashere Mobile Deity

You can click the x to close the announcement.

lelisa13p likes this.
  4. lelisa13p

I will stand right here so that you can smack me upside the head for not seeing that X. Also, once I closed it, I remembered that there were some links in there... but I'm happy that it's still on the main forum index page.

5. GoodPDAuser

GoodPDAuser Mobile Deity

Well, in our defence, it wasn't all that prominent, and it was light gray. Seems like light gray font is the way that the web is going these days, too. Thanks, jigwashere.

As for the login...anyone recall if this non-https was recent, or always like this?

6. lelisa13p

I posted that question over in the xenForo Upgrade thread for you.

7. GoodPDAuser

GoodPDAuser Mobile Deity

Thanks, lelisa13p. Err...I don't suppose that the banished banner contained a link to the forum that contains this xenForo Upgrade thread? I put xenForo into the Search box, but the only hit was this thread. I also traversed up the forum hierarchy to see if the banner shows up, but no, not for me it didn't.

P.S. Is lelisa french for "the lisa"? Also, 13p sounds a bit like a TV/film resolution, but I don't suppose that's it's related. IIRC, the numbers would be bigger.

RickAgresta likes this.
  8. lelisa13p

The announcement box doesn't contain a link to that thread, which is located here, in the Site Suggestions, Help and Announcements forum. I've linked to Page One but your question is currently the last post at the end of the thread. You might want to read thru the whole thread in case there are other issues that you've encountered listed, along with some solutions as they've evolved.

I wish that there was a mysterious story behind it, but my username is just a composite of names, letters, numbers, and stuff. Easy for me to remember; doesn't mean anything to anyone else. Your explanation sounds much more interesting.

RickAgresta likes this.
  9. RickAgresta

RickAgresta General Peanut, leader of the Peanutty Forces

GoodUser, if you locate a way that allows you to alter accessible permissions, *after installation*, please share. the best I can do currently is decide before installation, to install or not. Or to uninstall if I see upon re-examination that it's too nosey.

10. Hook

Hook Have keyboard, will travel

Unless Android L brings back Apps Ops which was available in Android 4.3 and then withdrawn for 4.4, the only way is to install an alternate ROM. Most 4.4.x ROMs (I believe, Dirty Unicorns does) has App Ops baked in for changing permissions after installation.

RickAgresta likes this.