Android Market Update Streamlines App Shopping Discussion

Discussion in 'Headline News' started by Grant Hatchimonji, Dec 14, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Grant Hatchimonji

Grant Hatchimonji Brighthand Site Editor

Last edited by a moderator: May 20, 2015
  2. questionfear

questionfear Google'd.

Yea...this is a pretty ****ty change. And Google knew it, that's why they buried it deep in a blog post on a Friday night.

3. Hook

Hook Have keyboard, will travel

It certainly is going to make me much more hesitant to try a paid app. A truly awful app will be returned immediately, but it may take some use of even an app with a great UI to discover if it has the functionality you need. So you download QuickOffice, tour the features, bit only discover it doesn't do Cut-And-Paste after 20 minutes (in part because the documentation is pretty vague on this point).

Since this only concerns paid apps, I suspect the developers are going to discover they are not so happy with this after all. People are going to be wary of downloading paid apps and are going to return them more often if a feature they want is hard to find.

Idiots! :rolleyes:

4. Scott_L

Scott_L Palm til it's gone!

Maybe we need to get the masses to:

1) Buy
    2) Try 10 minutes
    3) Request refund
    4) Goto step 1 and repeat until satisfied. :D

I hate to see 20 transactions on my credit card, but there are too many apps that can't be tested in 15 minutes. This bites.

5. LandSurveyor

LandSurveyor LandSurveyor

"While the other updates primarily benefit the users, this update is for the developers, according to Chu.

"Since most users who request a refund do so within minutes of purchase, we will reduce the refund window on Market to 15 minutes," said Chu in the post. "This change will be largely transparent to buyers, but will help developers manage their businesses more effectively."

I keep reading this and still don't understand. Exactly what good does this do for a developer? Or put another way, why is 24 hours such a burden? Anything that makes the buyer more hesitant to buy is not good for the developer. Instead, it will anger the buyer who, unless they keep up with this stuff on forums such as BH, will not know until after he or she has been "bitten."

I have no stake in this (yet) since I don't have an Android phone but would suggest firing up the feedback channels, blogs and such and see if a big-enough uproar can be created. You know, stuff like boycotts, etc.

6. Hook

Hook Have keyboard, will travel

That's the other thing-- you can only refund once per app. :rolleyes:

7. Girt

Girt Gadgeteer

On the *other* hand, the hand with the iPhone in it, 15 minutes is still infinitely longer than we get. I can't tell you how many apps I've looked at that have comments posted about "wasted my money". With iThings, there is NO refund.
    Want to see if an app has xx feature? Spend an hour on the internet looking for reviews and reading dumb comments.

Yet another reason to 'Droid it.

Actually, 60 minutes would be a much better window. One could pretty well test things out, but still fair to developers. 24 hours does seem too long to me - too many people downloading games and playing them through, I would guess.

Do these new OS's not have the ability to make a time-limited demo? That always seemed like a good solution...

8. Varjak

Varjak Mobile Deity

15 Minutes might as well be 0 minutes. I would imagine there are instances where it would take at least that long to see if it works. A game is one thing; but what about something that you use to manipulate, extract, rearrange, etc. data? What if it causes problems with the phone that take more than 15 minutes to resolve? I agree with LS, I don't see how giving someone 24 hours drastically increases the number of 'freeloaders.' Sure, someone might freeload if they're in a city for a day or something; but overall it has to be a very minimal impact on a developer's business.

9. LandSurveyor

LandSurveyor LandSurveyor

Aaah! Now the light dawns. People buy a game, play it, get bored with it and return it within 24 hours.

That makes sense for games but not applications.

10. Drillbit

Drillbit Mobile Deity

The change is not within a few weeks, but right now. It is a staggered deployment, happening randomly phone by phone.

I don't know Google does it, since the Android Market update happens without any visible download, and its just pushed directly to your phone without any notification. The way the change happens, reminds me more of a web page than an app.

I was updating apps in one phone. When I started doing the app updates, the Market was still the old one. Somehow, at one moment when I was not looking, then I looked at the phone again to select more apps to upgrade, the Market has already changed to the new one.

That's one hell of a sneaky upgrade process there.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.