Android M will be "Marshmallow"

Discussion in 'Android OS' started by Hook, Aug 18, 2015.

1. headcronie

headcronie Greyscale. Nuff Said. Super Moderator

Not really surprised. His personality type leads me to believe that is one of the reasons for his multiple positions though. Here one day, another the next. He'd be difficult to employ long term, unless you had the ability to ignore his personality traits. He does impressive work, don't get me wrong. His ego and personality to go with it seems to have the tendency to grind people pretty badly.

2. headcronie

headcronie Greyscale. Nuff Said. Super Moderator

While he is at it, he could show the Nexus 7 (2012) some 6 love... But he may work for Apple by that point.

RickAgresta, scjjtt and jigwashere like this.
  3. Hook

Hook Have keyboard, will travel

<shrug> It's been quite a few years. He's gotten a degree from University of Illinois at Urbana, Champaign and moved out into the workforce. He's been working at Google apparently since 2012 according to his G+ profile, currently on the Android Wear team. I'm willing to keep an open mind about whether he has mellowed or not. Actually, I didn't have many problems with him before, even when I needed a new key generated for PowerSDHC because my TX mother board was replaced. :vbwink: But yes, didn't have great bed-side manner in those days. As I say, that was quite a few years ago.

4. Hook

And now I'm rooted. Was able to do it very simply using Chainfire's method as the dev for WUGs Nexus Root Toolkit gave instructions that made it easy using the toolkit. I should just do the flashboot stuff and I know how to do it, but I'm lazy. ;-) Also I trust the NRT developer more than I trust me. :vbrolleyes: :vbwink:

Found one weird quirk with Android 6 (having nothing to do with root). When you first connect it to a computer, it connects by default as "charge only." This means it shows up on the computer and in Windows Explorer, but if you try to open the device to look at the folders in internal memory, it's blank. You have to touch the connected notification on the phone and manually choose "Transfer Files (MTP)" Each time. It doesn't remember the setting.

Curiously enough, in settings, there is a "Storage and USB" panel. I figured "oh, thet must be where I go to change the USB default. Turns out, when you open that panel, there are only storage settings, not USB settings. Apparently "USB" refers to the fact that you can now have either your SD card or external USB memory processed to be recognized as device storage. This is probably good for the former, but seems insane for the latter, but since this is a Nexus I'll probably do neither, but here is one explanation for the curious.

http://arstechnica.com/gadgets/2015/10/android-6-0-marshmallow-thoroughly-reviewed/7/#h2

Probably ROM devs will find a way to change the USB default, although maybe not because it doesn't affect ADB or fastboot.

5. Hook

Been having waaay too much fun with (no longer as) stock Android 6.0. Having rooted (using the chaifire method for now), I have:
    • Debloated the phone with Titanium backup. Got rid of Google Music, Hangouts, Google Movies & TV, the Google game thing, Newstand, and a bunch of others. May still uninstall more, but I'm fine now. Turns out stock Marshmallow leaves very little room in the system partition, at least on a 32 GB device. And I needed some room for the next goodie...
    • I installed a layers manager. It's a means of theming stock Android without needing the CyanogenMod theme engine (which is what most ROMs use). I now have the settings panel, the play store and most apps themed in black with blue accents.
    • I changed the screen DPI (I think it should be PPI, but they call it DPI) from 480 to 420 (higher resolution-- things are smaller. I don't completely understand because I would think a lower number would be less dense, but that's how it works).

I decided not to enable the multi-window capability. It is completely hidden for now and you have to change a setting in build.prop to get it. From what I have read, Google has it hidden for a reason. It is pretty under-featured and buggy. Since I only find multi-window helpful on a larger screen, I'm going to hold off.

So far, I've managed to do this with stock Android without blowing up the phone. There will be a few apps in the Play Store that won't like change in DPI, but I don't think any of the ones I use. There are a fey new Marshmallow ROMs out, but I think this will keep me happy until Dirty Unicorns puts out their version.

For right now, I'm just going to run it a few days to make sure I don't start getting FCs or something. :vbwink: :vbrolleyes:

6. Mi An

Mi An Hyperfocal

In smartphones, PPI almost always refers to the hardware's pixel density and DPI almost always refers to software scaling. It's just a matter of convention with regards to smartphone operating systems, I think largely because google chose that name for their software setting and it just stuck. I don't believe that distinction has always existed for all screens.

As to why it goes backwards with smaller numbers leading to more information density, I admit that confuses me. I think the setting isn't so much telling the OS to display items at that set density, but reporting to it what the screen's actual PPI is. I figure that changing DPI is basically misreporting the pixel density of the device, lying to the os to achieve scaling that occurs because perhaps the os tries to magnify content for larger reported densities (so it's not so tiny and is thus easier to use) than it would for lower reported densities. In other words, I think the OS is trying to scale content already, and altering the DPI feeds into that scaling process. I'm obviously making crap up, but I think I could be sorta on the right track. I would welcome correction though.

RickAgresta, Hook and jigwashere like this.
  7. Hook

That sounds like what I've been led to believe. I found a source (though I no longer remember where) indicating the actual hardware DPI for the Nexus 5 is 445. Google sets it at 480 by default in the software whereas I have it set at 420.

Mi An, jigwashere and RickAgresta like this.
  8. Hook

One trouble I ran into on this is my battery started draining fast. It might be simply that I should have done that factory reset (which I think is always a good idea following a major version upgrade). It seemed to come from a WiFi drain that other have complained about, but it is far from universal so I still suspect a factory reset would help. However, having done all the previous modding, I really wanted to avoid the factory reset because, in principle, I feel the need to rebuild after a factory reset rather than restore a backup (in case one is simply restoring a problem you used the FR to get rid of).

So, instead, I tried flashing a new kernel, Elemental X, which has been updated for Marshmallow. Custom kernels are nice because they give you a lot of control that the stock kernels don't. I did get a couple of spontaneous reboots so I'm watching things, but I think it was unhappy with my level of under-volting which I have now reversed. It's doing great today, and the battery life is much closer to the great battery life I've had with Dirty Unicorns (they do a great job of kernel building) and, previously, Franco (which hasn't been updated).

There are a few ROMs coming out now, including Cataclysm, which is the one I often do while waiting for DU, but right now I'm doing so well with the "HookMod" ROM :vbwink:, that I'm probably going to stay with it and just poke around for more mods. :thumbsup: :newpalm:

jigwashere, RickAgresta and Mi An like this.
  9. Hook

Wow, that was fast. Dirty Unicorns is already out with a Marshmallow test build and it is terrific. The thing that the DU folks do is that they get the core stable and then they more slowly add features. What that means is even their early test builds are smooth and stable, often more so than some folks final builds. Also, the mod in charge of the Hammerhead build (Hi, Josh Chasky) has become a very good kernel dev, and the kernel on the Hammerhead builds is so good that I no longer add other kernels. Great battery time and performance. And another great reason for using a custom ROM is, once more, being able to have a very minimal GAPPS package that only installs the Play Store and services and then I can decide what Google apps I want and they don't get installed to the system partition. (I don't choose very many).

Sheesh, if this is the first test build, can't wait to see what the future brings. It doesn't even have an official thread on XDA yet (which it will when the first official version is released). Stable and sweet. :newpalm:

Goodbye "HookMod ROM." :vbwink:

10. Hook

RickAgresta and jigwashere like this.