Android M will be "Marshmallow"

Discussion in 'Android OS' started by Hook, Aug 18, 2015.

1. Mi An

Mi An Hyperfocal

Google broke up with my Nexus 4 and all it got was a lollipop :vbfrown: Not very classy, Google.

scjjtt, RickAgresta and Hook like this.
  2. Hook

Hook Have keyboard, will travel

Broke up with my Nexus 7 too, although that one didn't do that well with Lollipop either. In fact, I'm planning on returning the Nexus 7 to KitKat to live out it's final days.

It doesn't seem different enough from Lollipop to warrant leaving the Nexus 4 behind. Sorry.

scjjtt and Mi An like this.
  3. RickAgresta

RickAgresta General Peanut, leader of the Peanutty Forces

it's just business… :vbrolleyes:

scjjtt likes this.
  4. headcronie

headcronie Greyscale. Nuff Said. Super Moderator

Yup. My Nexus 7 is in the same boat. Ah well. I do like Lollipop on it. :)

Sent from my Samsung Note IV

scjjtt likes this.
  5. Mi An

Mi An Hyperfocal

FWIW, I'm not unhappy, just trying to be funny. I actually haven't purchased many new phones and I'm quite proud of this one. I was kind of getting comfortable with stock roms and just using custom kernels as google added little things to stock, like the ability to select your own swipe up from home launcher, but I'm sure there will be stable and solid (not just haphazard, hacky) n4 6.0 roms quickly enough.

scjjtt and Hook like this.
  6. Hook

So far, there isn't a lot of difference between stock 5.1.1 and stock 6.0. Mostly little things here and there. Feels much more like 5.2 than 6.0. I'm not complaining. I like refinement rather than the roller coaster ride of something wholly new. :vbwink:

However, one big change that only folks who root or ROM will run into is that Android 6 has implemented a Knox-like security scheme, explained in this article:

http://www.xda-developers.com/a-look-at-marshmallow-root-verity-complications/

Luckily, Chainfire has come up with a work around (as explained in the piece) that replaces the stock kernel with a modified stock kernel (stock, except...) that allows root. Haven't yet decided if I'll jump on it or if I'll see what else develops. I'm not real patient these days about getting root. :vbrolleyes:

Stoopid Google. They should just provide a means to allow people to opt out of the security scheme. It shouldn't be too bad to get around on a Nexus, but it will probably be a mess with carriers involved.

scjjtt, jigwashere and Mi An like this.
  7. RickAgresta

RickAgresta General Peanut, leader of the Peanutty Forces

other than the resolution step-back, I'd be happy with Windows for Workgroups -- my point is, as long as the stuff I want to run works on what I have, I don't need to upgrade the OS...YMMV

scjjtt and jigwashere like this.
  8. Hook

It's still a bit early, but so far I am very happy with Android 6.0 (I refuse to use the desert name :vbtongue:). It really is a very polished version of Android 5 with a few new features nicely laid out in this write-up:

http://www.computerworld.com/article/2989973/android/android-60-marshmallow-faq.html

So far it is buttery smooth and probably my favorite version of Android since version 4.2 (which is probably my all-time favorite version). I haven't played extensively with the new app permissions, but will go through and do things like deny Kindle access to my contacts, etc, and see if anything breaks.

There is also a hidden new settings panel (what is it with Google and hiding features :vbrolleyes:). If you pull down the Quick Settings shade and hold the setting gear for 2-4 seconds, a "System UI Tuner" settings panel at the bottom of settings, under "About Phone." There isn't a lot there right now. You can customize your quick settings and what icons appear in the status bar and embed battery percentage in the battery icon, but I suspect they will add UI tweaks here, probably taken from popular ROMs and experiment with them before giving them more visibility. They warn you that features may appear, disappear or break in future updates. :vbeek: :vbgrin:

All in all, I am really enjoying this version. Battery life seems good, performance excellent, UI smoothness great.

I will root shortly because:
    1. Nandroid backups
    2. Titanium Backup
    3. Twrp Recovery
    4. Changing screen resolution in build Prop (Nexus 5 capable of much better than default resolution)
    5. I can.

Rooting will break Android Pay because it depends on the new security scheme, but I have no intentions of ever using Android Pay anyway.

I will then await a good ROM and kernel (hopefully DU), but I feel no rush there. Rooted stock will be quite nice. :thumbsup:

Last edited: Oct 9, 2015
  9. Hook

Last edited: Oct 9, 2015
  10. jigwashere

jigwashere Mobile Deity

Wow! Not surprised, really.