Android Central: Smart Lock is Android's best-kept secret.

Discussion in 'General Smartphone/Handheld/Wearable Discussion' started by scjjtt, May 31, 2019.

1. scjjtt

scjjtt A Former Palm User

raspabalsa, Hook and jigwashere like this.
  2. jigwashere

jigwashere Life is a circus!

I use smart lock on my Chromebook, too. As long as my phone is within proximity of the Chromebook, I don't need to log in.

scjjtt and Hook like this.
  3. Hook

Hook Professional Daydreamer

I've never had to use this capability because of the placement and reliability of the finger print sensor on my Nexus 6p. It's placement on the back of the phone means that picking the phone up wakes up the phone and unlocks it all in one motion as the index finger on my left hand always lands, naturally, on the sensor. I don't even think about it anymore. Even with the thick Zerolemon case, it is completely natural.

But it is a great feature and I suspect I'll be using it with the Pro 1.

jigwashere and scjjtt like this.
  4. raspabalsa

raspabalsa Brain stuck BogoMipping

I've been using Smart Lock since 2014, back when I had an Xperia Z1. Since then I've kept my device set to remain unlocked when connected to my BT headset, my BT keyboard, and when it's home. I don't use on-body detection or voice match. When it's in my pocket, picking the phone lets me easily touch the fingerprint sensor and unlock it.

jigwashere and scjjtt like this.
  5. scjjtt

scjjtt A Former Palm User

I just use it for our phones with our watches. I always have my watch on so...

The v10 does have fingerprint recognition on the bottom. That's what our son used when he had a v10. It just didn't work good for me (goes with teaching old dogs new tricks). So the Smart Lock was & is my answer.

Sent from my LG v10 using Tapatalk

jigwashere and Hook like this.
  6. headcronie

headcronie Greyscale. Nuff Said. Super Moderator

Only have this setup for my car. MN requires hands free for car use now, so I mount my phone in a clip and auto launch Android Auto.

I've got my entire life on that device. I just don't feel comfortable having it automatically unlock without me keeping an eyeball on it.

Working in the I.T. field sometimes means you know too much about the perils of easy access to data. I'm trying to keep it under my control the best I can. It's unfortunate that all we're given to hold water, is a stupid colander...

7. internetpilot

internetpilot Flying Dog (...duh...)

Um...am I supposed be locking my Chromebook? Haha.

Seriously, maybe I disabled something? I mean, when it boots I have to login to it, but not when I just open the screen while it's on. The Linux partition on it is ridiculously secure. After logging in I usually have to login again to access the internet. :rolleyes:

Nevermind. I just Googled -- it's something I need to enable. I might do that when I'm traveling or using it away from home just to be on the safe side. I have a lot of things in Google and I'm sure that someone with the right knowledge getting their hands on my unlocked Chromebook could be very bad for me.