Android 5.1 Lollipop to Roll Out in March, other things too

Discussion in 'Headline News' started by RickAgresta, Mar 5, 2015.

1. RickAgresta

RickAgresta Peanut, leader of the Peanutty Forces

Android 5.1 Lollipop to Roll Out in March, Silent Mode Added, Changes in Material Design and Many More

The Android 5.1 Lollipop update is already out and there are even devices already running on this new Lollipop OS at the time of this writing.

Users of the Android One devices that were recently shipped to and sold in Indonesia are currently enjoying this new operating system. The big question that still lingers in every user of Android is: when will my device get the Android 5.1 Lollipop update? Potentially this March and when it comes, there are some changes and improvements that you should expect to be included. These additions, extras and enhancements have been discussed in this article.

OP Request: anyone who has first-hand experience with both 5.0.x & 4.4.x, are there (in your opinion) real advantages/improvements in how you can use your 5.0.x device? kthnxbai!

Last edited: Mar 5, 2015
    scjjtt, headcronie and Hook like this.
  2. Hook

Hook Professional Daydreamer

In my opinion, there aren't a lot of real differences, just changes in how you do things and, once you adjust, it works out to be about the same. The silent mode was a missing piece, but I never use it. I needed the settings shortcut where I never did before because 5.0 made it a two step process to open settings. They also made the lock screen a two steps to unlock if you have any level of security aside from swipe to unlock (I don't).

I would say there are no real advantages, but there are also no disadvantages that I have found, so I have happily gone on to it on my Nexus 5 because my favorite ROM went on to it. It is smooth, stable and has good battery life and I have a theme engine and very stable theme (Mono) that allows me to eliminate the worse offense of materiel design-- endless white in the UI.

I'm also perfectly happy with 4.4.2 KitKat on my TAB S. Same there-- I will migrate when my ROM dev migrates (TAB S should be getting 5.X in this same time frame.

For me, the upshot is that there is no downside in the "upgrade" great enough to not have full support from using the most current version of Android.

Of course, I don't have Verizon to deal with. :vbtongue: :vbrolleyes:

scjjtt and RickAgresta like this.