Android 2.1 Wish/Looking For List

Discussion in 'Android OS' started by AshMa, Jun 7, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. AshMa

AshMa Mobile Deity

Hello!

I've just moved to Android 2.1, coming from WinMo (HD2 Flashed WM6.5.x). I spent many long hours, tweaking just about everything in order to get the look I wanted. I was told by many, that I would have no problem doing all the same on the Evo and even much more. So I'm in love with my Evo experience so far and have no plans to go back to WinMo even though I was happy with it.

All weekend, I've searched high and low. Ran through nearly a hundred apps out of a list of 150 and growing. Yet here I am still trying to find a few types of apps and mods.

IS THERE:

1. An app like ListPro which is the best Windows Mobile general list keeping app ever made. I'm looking for an app to create general lists of all types, with custom fields and so on. And furthermore, having a desktop app that syncs with it, is also high on the list. Being able to enter data on a desktop and sync it all with great ease, to a matching mobile app, is something I would pay dearly for.

2. On the HTC Evo, the Sense home screen is okay but could really use a touch of xda Co0kies Home Tab. Looking, but can't find any such app. Recently, I downloaded nearly 200 analog clocks for the HD2 Sense home screen. Where are the Android custom analog clocks?

3. Is it possible to change the color of the top status bar of Android? And also how about the bottom bar? Can we not have wallpaper that extends the entire screen so that the bars match the wallpaper?

4. Can the slide to unlock bar be disabled? Pressing the power button is hard enough to not have to worry about the screen being on when not wanted.

5. How about an on-screen power/sleep icon/button? It would be nice to be able to put the phone to sleep without having to reach for that little power button.

6. What is up with the wallpaper??? At first I thought, well since I love my HTC HD2 wallpaper so much, why don't I just transfer it to my Evo. Sure thing but it ends up being cropped and stretched, no matter what I do. I've read page after page and tried a few different things and can't seem to get it right. I tried using a png image that was 960x800 after first trying the 800x480. I tried holding my finger in the crop screen and sliding the selection area but it will not allow me to select the entire image size. So the Evo Sense has 7 screens but why not just one image displayed in full screen, on each screen? What was Google/HTC thinking?!?!?!

I've searched many forums and I just can't seem to find the answers to these questions so far and so I figure it can't hurt to ask around.

2. AshMa

AshMa Mobile Deity

Okay just answered number 4: Freeware app called No Lock in the Android market does the trick. Installing it and then activating it will turn off the slide to unlock screen. Furthermore it makes the volume up/down buttons wake up the Evo, the same as the power button does. So far it looks like it does not effect any of the 4 cap buttons.

3. Drillbit

Drillbit Mobile Deity

Some of the things you are asking for were actually in previous Android phones. To put it in another way, some of the things you result in asking comes from peculiarities in the HTC EVO design, or the way HTC evolved their phones lately.

For example, I still have my old HTC Magic, which is the second Android phone there was.

To wake the screen, you press on the Menu button, which in those days was a solid hardware button.

To put the phone to sleep, you press on the Red Hang Up button, which is the lower button the right side.

It was that simple. There was no slide to unlock on the screen, which only started with the first HTC Sense on the Hero and then subsequently adopted with every Android. For Google's own generic Android, slide to unlock only came from Android 2.0 and above, and all previous versions didn't have it unless you have a UI like Sense to artificially install it.

Ironically, this feature is one of those things Apple is suing HTC for imitating.

On the clock widgets, you can find a lot in the Android Market. There are many of all kinds.

However, the one I miss the most is the default Clock widget found in Android 1.0 to 1.6. It looks like an old style analog clock that gives a strange sense of the surreal like a Davi painting.

As you have Android 2.1 on the HTC Sense, you should note there are some subtractions compared to the standard apps you will find on the Nexus One. For example on the Nexus One, there is a standard Alarm Clock that will let you wake the phone by pressing the trackball or the volume control. Alarm Clock is a desktop like UI app that also lets you access the music mixer controls without going to the music app in the application menu beneath. Unfortunately this app is not available in the Android Market.

Here is another trick you may not know about. You see the Home button? Tap it fast and remember to quickly remove the finger as if the button is hot. With the fast tap, you get to see all seven screens at once with each screen on a miniaturized version. This trick works only with Android 2.1 + HTC Sense.

If I have a wish list for Android, it would be to have the Wifi, GPS, brightness controls accessible through the notification bar. This idea is actually put into action on the Samsung Bada OS.

4. tbessie

tbessie PIM-Loving Maniac

I love ListPro - I have it for the Palm.

I just want ListPro, Agendus (with full Palm Desktop and/or Outlook syncing), and maybe a good Backgammon app. My needs are so few... :)

- Tim

5. AshMa

AshMa Mobile Deity

Drillbit, thanks for taking the time to respond!

I’m coming from WinMo on the HD2 and I guess I just got used to being able to change any of these features with a simple reg edit, cab file install or an app that had a lot of common tweaks with a toggle. I just found an app in the Android Market, called No Lock, which allows you to turn off the screen lock and also turns the volume buttons into another power on/wake button. The only problem I have with it now is that it also turns off the incoming call slide to answer, which is a no go for me so now I’m looking for another similar app with options rather than an all or nothing.

Okay, now I’m starting to understand more, about how Android works. I was used to finding cab files on xda for things like adding clocks. Now thanks to you, I see that there are a lot of clocks right in the Android Market. :D

And thanks for the tip but it seems to work a little different on the Evo. You need to be on the home screen and then a single tap to the home button, brings up those 7 screens. And then a hold on the home screen button anywhere, brings up the last 6 (running or not) apps in a task manager like box.

So much to learn about Android after nearly becoming a pro on Windows Mobile after years and years…..

6. AshMa

AshMa Mobile Deity

You, me and thousands more. I've emailed the ListPro developer a few times and they've stated that they have no current plans for Android but are working on iPhone and Windows Phone 7 is on the table. I've got 100 lists from business to personal and I can't get by without that data. So for now, I'm having to just use ListPro on my laptop. Hoping to be able to export csv files to a future Android app.......

7. tbessie

tbessie PIM-Loving Maniac

Well, from what I've heard, one writes Android apps in a tweaked version of the Java JVM, and I'm by profession a Java programmer, so if I ever decide to take my free time and start churning out Android apps - way hey! ;-)

Actually, that probably WOULD be a good idea - the world is turning mobile, and I'm stuck in the Enterprise Java (*yawn*) world. Could be interesting - I could create all the apps I ever thought I wanted. Now if I could only find all that extra time.

Anyone want to fund 6 months on a desert island with a computer for me?? :)

- Tim

8. havikk

havikk Mobile Enthusiast

I am looking forward to a better contact management app. I think the current People app is too crowded and not easy to use. I wish it had a better search and was overall faster.

9. Bechms

Bechms Newbie

there's nothing we can do but wait for facebook to make an update available.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.