Android 12 leak just revealed a complete makeover for Google’s OS

Discussion in 'Android OS' started by RickAgresta, May 16, 2021.

1. RickAgresta

RickAgresta General Peanut, leader of the Peanutty Forces

Android 12 looks like it's getting changes to notifications and widgets

Days after leaking a radical new design for the Google Pixel 6, the unnervingly accurate leaker Jon Prosser has returned with a video featuring, among other things, an official looking promo clip for Android 12.

While the latest version of Google’s mobile OS has been in Developer Preview for some time, the video shows off a playful new redesign, appealing new transitions, and hints at new features.

The first slide Prosser shared is a “What’s new?” summary of the upgrade. It’s fairly standard stuff, with Google promising “a beautiful new experience," “stronger privacy and security protections,” and that “all of your devices [will] work better together.”

But it’s the second slide where Google puts its money where its mouth is, with a smattering of UI changes and new widgets.

OP note: the rest of the article is heavy on images, and is best viewed in the article.
    https://www.tomsguide.com/news/android-12-leak-just-revealed-a-complete-makeover-for-googles-os

Mi An, headcronie and Hook like this.
  2. Hook

Hook Her Clack is Worse Than Her Bite

Saw this over on the FxTec Discord. Yeah, that's what I want-- my widgets to be cartoony. :vbrolleyes:

Mi An, lelisa13p, scjjtt and 2 others like this.
  3. RickAgresta

RickAgresta General Peanut, leader of the Peanutty Forces

I still have fully functional TX, and a 755p, and a flip-phone -- and a hand-me-down fRuitPhone©6 that still works…I'm just sayin', if the little robot gets too weird, there are alternatives <g>

4. Mi An

Mi An Hyperfocal

I wish there were less emphasis on design overall, be it in UIs or hardware exteriors. It's not all bad to be sure, but I'd say at least 99% of it is pointless and will be eventually revised in a manner that creates confusion over functionality (I'm looking disapprovingly at MS Office right now). 'Form follows function' seems to be a lost art.

One design conscious iteration that did catch my eye were the webos palms. A lot of what they did influenced all os's today despite the pitiful market share, cards and universal search for example. It was also pretty, but they seemed to really think about function early and often whereas I see almost everything else as aesthetics first and function maybe occasionally by accident if ever.

I don't imagine looking for a lifeboat, but I do feel more and more like my next phone might just be a fruitphone. Weird thing to say right after complaining about too much design, eh? But while I did view apple that way for many years, I feel that way less and less every day. They no longer just brag about not being an ad company as their privacy cred and are actually picking monster fights with ad companies like facebook over features that legit improve privacy.

They have a weird modular magsafe feature that's reminiscent of nerdy very non-apple dead projects like motomods and project ara, and even for just the magsafe batteries I'm a little interested. The current assortment of form factors away from the one-size-fits-none authoritarian bent that I remember from days of yore is really impressive. That iphone 12 mini looks tasty. Apple seems a LOT more substantial to me now than under the old management.

Last edited: May 19, 2021
    headcronie, Hook, RickAgresta and 2 others like this.
  5. scjjtt

scjjtt A Former Palm User

Mi An - I had 1 webos phone & several WebOS tablets. You are right - they really did think of function so their form followed the function, not only with the UI but also with hardware - wireless charging day one & tap your WebOS device to your other WebOS device & the webpage you were looking at automatically pops up on that device.

I still have 1 tablet that can be booted up in WebOS or Android, my others just run Android very slow now. I have 1 tablet converted to Android & it sits on my office desk, in the wireless cradle, & just presents Calengoo in a monthly form with only the church calendars that I want it to show - so I can have a quick overview of upcoming events in planning. Of course I can look at it in weekly or daily views too.

WebOS was smooth, beautiful & a joy to work with. Unfortunately the way Palm and HP handled WebOS didn't help and the fact that people wanted a bunch of Apps over or what I would say would be a superior OS and UI eventually brought an end to WebOS for the mobile community and now only lives on LG tv's instead of being everywhere which was the dream for WebOS. :(

Sent from my moto g stylus using Tapatalk

Hook, headcronie, lelisa13p and 3 others like this.
  6. EdmundDantes

EdmundDantes Mobile Deity

Rick, It's funny, I have a similar arsenal of old tech. A LifeDrive, a Vx (both still work), a hand-me-down iPhone, which I don't really use, but it works and I could, and two iPads, a Mini and a regular that also both work, and yes, two flip phones that actually work: a RAZR and a V60 I think it's called? It's an old Motorola, very small, stainless steel jacketed, and a small black-and-white screen. For a very brief time, it was the 'it' phone. Truthfully, it always worked better (as a phone) than just about any other phone. I also could probably dig out a couple of StarTacs, one of which is actually digital, so it could be revived. It's one of those silver-plastic Motorolas that came with a fancy car. Honestly, that was also a very good phone. It got reception everywhere, often where no one else could get a signal.

7. Magellan

Magellan Moderator of Ill repute Super Moderator

Is anyone running the beta? I have it on my old 3XL. It is very stable, and the new look is growing on me. I have a Pixel 5 as my daily driver but am sticking to Android 11 for now.

Mi An, RickAgresta, Hook and 2 others like this.
  8. jigwashere

jigwashere Mobile Deity

Hello, Magellan! It's been a long time. Good to see another Minnesotan. :newpalm:

Mi An, RickAgresta, lelisa13p and 2 others like this.
  9. Magellan

Magellan Moderator of Ill repute Super Moderator

Jigs! It has been awhile. I was running through my favorites folder cleaning it up and had massive nostalgia so thought I would see what kind of activity is going on. Tech has changed a bit over the years.

scjjtt, Mi An, RickAgresta and 2 others like this.
  10. Mi An

Mi An Hyperfocal

I have a sudden inexplicable hankering for rhubarb pie :vbconfused:

HomemadeRhubarbPie7.jpg