And Then There Was One (aka Internetpilot Stands Alone with Android)

Discussion in 'General Smartphone/Handheld/Wearable Discussion' started by internetpilot, Apr 18, 2021.

1. internetpilot

internetpilot Flying Dog (...duh...)

Well, it's only been 3 years and the battery in my son's Moto G6 decided to imitate a flotation device by automatically inflating it's back cover right off the phone. After googling some how-to's about replacing the battery (supposedly required removing 17 screws, 5 ribbon cables, and one motherboard), I decided a new phone was in order.

Max is our quiet child -- definitely not the squeaky wheel of the family. He also isn't really big into social media, etc. He doesn't even use his phone that much, so he doesn't really have any must-have favorite Android-only apps. He's also a sophomore in college so, the last thing mild mannered Max needs is to be the one person in the study group who is on Android turning the whole Apple iMessage group green. So, of my own accord, I talked him into getting the iPhone 12 instead of another Moto (or other Android) phone.

As with my wife's heartbreaking defection a couple of years ago with the iPhone XR, I have a similar mixed opinion of the iPhone 12. Overall, everything seems fast, I've gotten used to buttonless navigation (even on Android), and for anyone who doesn't have any specific requirements that a phone be Android, it's definitely an excellent phone. As for Max, he's fine with it, especially after switching over to an iPad a couple of years ago after several Android tablets died an early death on him. His 6-year-old Fujitsu notebook PC from high school is also getting a little long in the tooth, and although with remote college these days he's been just using his Dell Alienware gaming laptop, when his college goes back to in-person classes (likely in the Fall) we'll probably just get him a MacBook for campus, making him all Apple so the iPhone is probably a good thing for him at this point. Just like with his mom, I did "Googlize" the iPhone as much as possible (including the Google keyboard), so considering his typical basic use of a phone, he's already pretty much up to speed.

So, I'm the last Android standing in a family of Apple Zealots. Sigh. Never thought it would come to this. I'm actually facing a similar decision myself. With Sprint's impending assimilation into T-Mobile, I'm going to need a 5G replacement for my Moto G Stylus one day sooner rather than later. Cheap 5G Android phones just aren't very commonplace, especially not with the various carriers all having rather proprietary 5G. Do I *NEED* 5G? Well, of course not, but I didn't really *NEED* 4G at the time either, right? Plus it's going to be annoying with everyone in the family being on 5G except me.

Who knows? IP getting a "lucky" iPhone 13? Could be...

Incidentally, with Max's Moto G6 being otherwise in pristine condition, I just couldn't bring myself to throw it away. So I bought a $16 battery on Amazon. The back was already off from the swollen battery (which I understand is a major pain in the Moto to get off without cracking the back glass), and although I did have to remove the 17 screws I was then easily able to remove the battery without having to remove the motherboard. I'm honestly not sure why all the how-to's claim the motherboard needs to be removed. Reassembled it, put the back on (didn't even need more glue), and it's working great again, so if by some slim chance Max encounters a game-over issue with having an iPhone instead of an Android phone, he can easily just switch back to his old G6. I can also use his G6 as an immediate replacement for my Moto G Stylus if something every happens to it.

raspabalsa, scjjtt, Mi An and 5 others like this.
  2. jigwashere

jigwashere Mobile Deity

3. Mi An

Mi An Hyperfocal

3G was insufficient for almost everything, at least for me. I took phone calls over data back then and sometimes it would work okay at best and too often it would choke hard. I'm not sure what 4g is insufficient for (super low latency gaming and higher res video? meh), which isn't to say you shouldn't get a super fancy new phone and regale us with tales of it, I just wouldn't compare these two generational transitions. I'm not sure exactly what IoT wants from 5g, but my vague understanding is that 5g is more important for everything but smartphones, but is being marketed hard to smartphone users mostly to drive some early retail revenue to speed up the rollout so they can reach their IoT coverage goals sooner.

I find the iphone 12 mini very compelling. I do wish Apple were capable of making a thicker phone and putting a decent battery inside of it, but then again, I suspect I would just buy several magsafe batteries, keep them on a charger in several different places, attach one whenever convenient and never plug the phone in and I would barely notice the internal battery life. I did something like that with my moto z play and battery mods towards the end and I really enjoyed charging on the go instead of tethering my phone to the wall.

With my luck, if I do ever go apple, the mini flagship form factor won't exist any more. I've read they might have already basically discontinued future production, but I haven't lost all hope yet. Maybe it'll turn out like the ipad mini, not a new release every year, but still in the mix. I still sometimes pick up my old nexus 4 and admire its footprint. I keep ending up with extra giant phones because they keep putting the darn things on sale and I can't resist a good sale, but someday I think it might be nice to downsize even if it costs more. :vbeek:

4. internetpilot

I think the most difficult part of replacing the Moto G6 battery is getting that back cover off with shattering the glass. Otherwise, if you're replacing the back cover with a new one or your battery was nice enough to expand that back cover right off like Max's did, then it's actually very easy to get that battery out and the new one in.

I looked at the A32 and a couple of other A## series phones when at T-Mobile and they're actually not bad phones. I'm just really used to the rather nice cameras in the two Moto phones I've had, especially when used with a Google Camera port. I seriously doubt I'd get the same results from the A## cameras. I'm sure by the time I'm really craving 5G, Moto will have something out that's compatible with T-Mobile.

headcronie, lelisa13p, Mi An and 4 others like this.
  5. internetpilot

Yeah, I'm actually doing just fine with 4G at the moment, but will definitely experience FOMO (fear of missing out) if everyone in the family has moved over to 5G iPhones (only two have so far). More than looking into 5G, I'm actually just thinking of having T-Mobile switch me from Sprint now rather than wait. I'm probably roaming on T-Mobile 95% of the time that I'm at my house anyway (which is a lot of the time since COVID), so I might as well just be officially on it instead of roaming (which I'm sure is still throttled like it's always been).

I also like the mini, which is strange because I do like my Android phones to be big, but for some reason like iPhones that are "small". But then again, I actually REALLY like the Moto Razr "flip" phone, too, so people probably shouldn't to listen to me about my choices of phones.

6. scjjtt

scjjtt A Former Palm User

IP - stay strong - you can do it - that is staying with Android. LOL

I too would like a smaller phone, since I use a tablet a lot, then my phone can be a phone and if I want something bigger - tether it to my tablet.

I totally fine with 4G. I've heard that 5G really isn't what they are promoting it to be as of right now.

Good luck & we're standing behind you in you B.H. Android Support Group.

Sent from my Samsung Galaxy Tab A (10.1") /128GB using Tapatalk

7. raspabalsa

raspabalsa Brain stuck BogoMipping

ip, not sure what to tell you... the light side of me wants to side with Scott and urge you to stay Android forever. But a small and dark part wants to see how you manage the transition. I suppose it would be hard (tech- and support-wise) to remain the only Android user in a otherwise fully Apple household. My interest is not because I'm thinking about switching (stay the torches and pitchforks, Scott!). It's my daughter who's been lobbying hard to go Apple. Not with an iPhone, but with an iPad. Who am I kidding? That should be "not with an iPhone for now", because I'm sure she'll want an iPhone soon after getting an iPad. The reason I'm actually considering granting her wish is that she's very talented at drawing and painting, and she told me there's a couple of apps for iPads that are much better than any Android equivalent for painting. I've been trying to convince her by way of pointing to the drawbacks of using an idevice, but she's of a newer generation, so she has a different set of priorities and has knocked all my arguments down. I guess I'll just have to calculate the budget, hardware and software-wise :( .

scjjtt, internetpilot, Mi An and 4 others like this.
  8. jigwashere

jigwashere Mobile Deity

Why is there still this dark side/light side rhetoric? Microsoft, Google, Apple -- they're all evil. :) I support all the technology in my household, as well as help friends and extended family members when I can. It takes some effort, but I've been able to learn enough about the hardware and software to configure new devices, migrate data, and keep things running relatively smoothly. The main stumbling blocks tend to be the less-than-tech savvy people who need the support. They way they organize their workstreams and information confounds me, as well as their own lack of desire and/or ability to figure things out and learn.

I have a couple of unused iPhone 6s's from 2015 that still get OS and security updates, and physically, they're in near pristine condition (only replace the battery on one of them). Android devices? Forget it. 2-3 years and you need to get rid of them or switch to a 3rd party OS. I stick with Android because of stubborn momentum and that I can get a decent phone for about $200.

9. questionfear

questionfear Google'd.

And Jigs wins the internet for the day.

scjjtt, headcronie, Mi An and 4 others like this.
  10. Hook

Hook Her Clack is Worse Than Her Bite

[Tangential Rant]
    This is actually the biggest problem (and challenge) in modern tech... not that people have wildly different workflows, but that tech isn't flexible enough to accommodate those workflows and imposes it's own and if you don't follow it, you are considered the problem by the help desk. This is really a pet peeve. Someone around here, I forget who, used to have a line in their signature about (paraphrase) "I shouldn't have to adapt to technology, technology should adapt to me." Until my devices become true partners, I'll keep my hands on my watch and my wallet whenever anyone mentions they are using AI in their programs.

The arrogance of software engineers and the lack of true user-centered design is the problem, not non-tech savvy users. :vbwink:

[/Tangential Rant]

scjjtt, headcronie, lelisa13p and 3 others like this.