Amazon devices will soon automatically share your Internet with neighbors

Discussion in 'Headline News' started by RickAgresta, May 30, 2021.

1. raspabalsa

raspabalsa Brain stuck BogoMipping

An article I read in The Guardian (link << here >> has nothing but worrisome things to say about Sidewalk, including an issue that I haven't seen addressed elsewhere: that users who don't opt out of Amazon Sidewalk will find themselves in breach of their ISPs' terms of service, which do not allow resharing the Internet connection. I can't imagine Amazon falling to consider this, and wonder what they'll say if the issue is brought up.

RickAgresta, lelisa13p, Hook and 2 others like this.
  2. EdmundDantes

EdmundDantes Mobile Deity

I wouldn't do this without much further investigation; but I've mentioned before that I was a big fan of Fon, which was basically a router with 2 channels, one for your home and one that could be shared with the public, either only those who also participated in the program or you could opt to let everyone use it. At the time, the 2nd channel was pretty secure; but I'm sure that someone could probably hack it now. I did worry a bit about that when I used it; but it also saved me a lot (time, money and convenience) when I was travelling, as there was very often free WiFi to be had, before smartphones were so powerful and mobile cell hotspots became readily available. It was fairly common mostly in urban settings and it was quite popular in Europe, where some telecom companies incorporated it into their own routers for ISP customers.

scjjtt and RickAgresta like this.