Alternatives to Outlook?

Discussion in 'Palm' started by nimijean, Sep 12, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. nimijean

nimijean Mobile Consultant

Hi:

I currently sync my TX with Outlook 2007, but my program is having all sorts of problems, and technical support cannot resolve them, so I am looking for a new program. I really like the features of Outlook (email, tasks and calendar), and I rely on moving email messages into tasks and my calendar (Of course, the Palm desktop does not have email, which makes it less attractive). Are there alternatives to Outlook and Palm Desktop?

I wonder what software people use for such situations. Is there an alternative to Outlook that does all of these and syncs with Palm? I have used Thunderbird (though it does not work well with voice recognition software, which I also use - and is linked to the problem with Outlook).

If I used a standalone email program, is it easy to move messages into Palm desktop?

Thanks,

Richard

2. BAB2000

BAB2000 An "Olde Moderator" #2 Super Moderator

What program are you utilizing to provide the hotsync conduits to OL2007?

The conduits bundled with the Palm installation CD were not compatible with OL2007, and the first solution I was aware of was PocketMirror latest version.

As a combination email client/PIM application, Lotus Notes maybe the other alternative.

What are your issues with OL2007? Can you step back to OL2003?

3. nimijean

nimijean Mobile Consultant

Thanks. I use Keysuite to sync with the TX. I`ll check out Lotus notes. I assume I could sync with the Palm...

I have had particular problems with Outlook - it clashes with other programs (Dragon Naturally Speaking, which it should not do) and I get error messages and it keeps crashing. I would like to do a clean uninstall and reinstall
    with my CD.

The Outlook saga: On my new laptop, with Vista Preferred, in March I downloaded the Office 2007 trial. I then purchased the standard office package and installed it.

I have been trying to uninstall Office without success. My add/remove box
    says that I have the trial installed (even though I have activated the paid
    version). Clicking uninstall does nothing, nor does clicking on change.

I have done a restore system, but cannot access the point where I started
    noticing troubles with Outlook.

I did see reference to one solution,
    http://support.microsoft.com/kb/928218 though it strikes me as uncertain of
    success (it acknowledges it does not entirely remove the program, and other
    users have reported problems with it), so I hope to get advice before
    proceeding. - but apparently this is the advice I must take...

Thanks,

Richard

4. BAB2000

BAB2000 An "Olde Moderator" #2 Super Moderator

Oh, that is a shame.

I have had experinece with XP and Office 2003 in like fashion for a client. The solution was to reformat the hard drive, fresh install the XP and then apply the correct versions of the applications bypassing all trials that were implementd from M$.

Sorry. Even though I do not have any pratical experience with Vista, clients have stayed away from the product on new implementations untill track record is improved.

Knowing this, Lotus Notes is likely not a solution either, I am not certain its stability under your present Vista installation will be any better.

I suspect you have a foundation issue with Vista, not application conflicts.

5. anrklein

anrklein Mobile Enthusiast

Apologies if this is an obvious response, but have you tried using the latest version of PocketMirror? I use it with Outlook 2003 and have no problems.

Good luck!

-Andy

6. MacGyver24

MacGyver24 Duct Tape Expert

7. AKAJohnDoe

AKAJohnDoe Mobile Deity

I have use Thunderbird for years. I set my PDA email clients to leave messages on server so that they remain there for Thunderbird to retrieve. I do not bother to sync messages as I prefer to maintain an empty inbox, filing my messages into folders for organizational reasons. Did this with Palm PDAs, now do it with PPC PDAs.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.