Alternative to Palm Desktop?

Discussion in 'Sync (Mac and Linux/Palm OS)' started by berkegh, Mar 2, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. berkegh

berkegh Newbie

I have two Handsprings (an Edge and Prism) and I just purchased an iBook. I'd like to use my handhelds with my Mac.

The problem is, whenver I download the Mac OS X Palm Desktop (4.0, 4.1, and 4.2 have been tried) I can not get it installed.

I always end up with "Installation unsuccessful. Would you like to quit or reinstall?"

Well, needless to say you end up in an infinite loop if you keep trying to install.

And yes, I have the newest Stuffit Expander. I even tried installing as Root.

It seems to stall around UPD302.PRC each time, about 90+% of the way through the install.

Anyhow, needless to say I am frustrated. Is there ANY, ANY type of commercial software out there which will allow me to sync my handhelds with anything on my Mac OS 10.3.8 WITHOUT using any of Palm's syncing software.

I can not install the software, so therefore I would have to have another way of sinking.....

2. berkegh

berkegh Newbie

The Missing Sync does not seem to work with my handheld. I beleive it requires Palm OS 4.0 or higher, while mine still uses Palm OS 3.0.

On an aside, does the Missing Sync require the Palm Software? in other words: Is it built on TOP of the Palm HotSync software? Or does it stand entirely alone?

The Missing Sync looks good, but after hearing about Palm's inability or unwillingness to support Mac OS X very thoroughly, I am wary of buying another Palm.

I might just go with a PocketPC -- I would be getting the same support, but at least I wouldn't have a company screwing me over. I'd much rather prefer indifference to an illusion of support.

3. gdogus

gdogus Mobile Consultant

Missing Sync stands apart from Palm Desktop for Macintosh. You can use Missing Sync to sync your Palm with Palm Desktop for Mac, or Microsoft Entourage, or with Apple's own Addressbook and iCal. (Missing Synch even provids its own memos application to sync with if you choose to use Addressbook and iCal, so that your handheld memos have a desktop home.)

4. shinymetalgood

shinymetalgood washington, dc

berkegh, I ran into exactly the same problem, and I'll tell you what worked for me:

1) I verified and repaired disk permissions
    2) I installed the iSync Palm Conduit (a free download from Apple)
    3) I restarted the computer
    4) I ran the install again and got one more "unable to install" message
    5) Resisting the urge to hurl my laptop across the room, I tried the install one more time, and voila! it worked. I've heard others say they have to repeatedly attempt the install until it takes.

The cool thing about iSync is that it works independently of Palm Desktop (even though Palm Desktop seems to need iSync to install properly), so you can sync directly from iCal and Address Book to your handheld, iPod, phone, etc. without going through Palm Desktop (but you'd lose the desktop memo app unless you are using another PIM like Personal Organizer).

Hope this helps!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.