Alexa smartwatch

Discussion in 'Wearables' started by scjjtt, Apr 8, 2017.

1. scjjtt

scjjtt A Former Palm User

Interesting - I've have had an Amazon Echo since October & I find it harder to use than searching for things by speaking to Google on my phone. I'm sure it's just me but the UI isn't friendly for me so I'm not sure if I'd want a watch that uses Alexa's UI - but it looks nice & has a decent price.

http://bgr.com/2017/04/07/amazon-alexa-skills-smartwatch-imco-cowatch/

Sent from my LG-H901 using Tapatalk

internetpilot likes this.
  2. internetpilot

internetpilot Flying Dog (...duh...)

I don't know. This is just my opinion, but the last thing the smartwatch platform needs is another OS or another crowd funding startup. The majority of people in this world are just not techie enough to get a 3rd-party OS smartwatch working with either their iPhone or Android phone. It's been quite a struggle for the general public to get Android Wear watches working with their Android phones.

I was considering getting an Amazon Echo and then a Google Home, but after waiting and reading a lot of reviews, I determined that it would be a complete waste on me. I almost always have my phone with me around the house, and even when I don't I usually have my watch (Android Wear), and even when I don't have either, my Android tablet is centrally located on the kitchen counter 99% of the time. Plus, no one else in my family would most likely ever take the time to configure an Echo or Home for their use, so it would most likely just be me, and I need another duplicate function serving device to maintain like I need another hole in my head.

jigwashere and scjjtt like this.
  3. scjjtt

scjjtt A Former Palm User

IP, I agree with you! My Echo was a gift from my daughter. Knowing what I know now, I would not go out and purchase one for myself. I just haven't made the time to fool with it. The only thing I use it for is to play some music to study by when I'm working on something that requires concentration - but I could do that on my phone, or one of my older phones that are close by, or by one of my 3 tablets or with my laptop (laptop is last because it takes so long to fire up).

My daughter who got it for me was here with her family at Christmas. I took it to the kitchen and she and her family would use it. Their family is an iOS family and she is 35. Maybe the younger generations will like and use Alexa more than me.

I'm still grateful for the gift and someday plan to use it more, but right now, if a watch is anything like it, count me out for now.

Sent from my Lenovo TAB 2 A10-70F using Tapatalk

Last edited: Apr 8, 2017
    jigwashere likes this.
  4. LandSurveyor

LandSurveyor LandSurveyor

Not sure I really care for the whole Alexa/Google Home thing anyway. No telling what gets said in my household that I would rather such a device not here. I can "OK Google" when I want to and it stays off until I want it.

I'd probably come home some day and find out that the cats had learned how to use it.

scjjtt, jigwashere and RickAgresta like this.
  5. internetpilot

internetpilot Flying Dog (...duh...)

I don't know about you, but sometimes my "Ok Google" seems to activate on it's own from something not even closely resembling those two words. I end up hearing, "Hi, how can I help?" and then the family and I just look around at each other. Spooky. Haha.

scjjtt likes this.