Airport Screening + Small Devices

Discussion in 'Netbooks, Tablets, Slates and eReaders' started by NetBrakr, Apr 4, 2013.

1. NetBrakr

NetBrakr Gone With The Wind

When I am going through airport screening, I always have to take out my Galaxy Tab, 7", even when I forgot to take it out, they will take it out and rescan it. However, they will leave my phone, Epix, alone. I always put my phone in my bag during airport screening. This makes me wonder how big does it have to be remaining inside the bag? I am wondering about the phablet (5"+).
  2. EdmundDantes

EdmundDantes Mobile Evangelist

I seem to recall that they modified the policy and fewer items had to be taken out to be checked. I don't recall whether it was size-based or what. Try the TSA website. They probably have details.
  3. NetBrakr

Well, I believed its the same, and I remember TSA's website said that small electronics such as tablets, phones, etc. does not need to be removed from their carrying bags. That's the same rule for at least 3 years.
  4. Mitlov

Mitlov Shiny

Stop the presses. Are you telling me that the TSA doesn't follow their own rules, any written rules, or common sense when it comes to what's okay and what's not okay in an airport security check?

;-)
    EdmundDantes likes this.
  5. jigwashere

jigwashere Life is a circus!

I believe the idea behind checking laptops was to make sure they weren't converted into bombs. That's why they had you turn them on - to make sure they still worked like computers. It's the stupidest thing in in the world, since it wouldn't be difficult to have a 15" laptop screen light up and appear to function while enclosing a bomb under the keyboard, in the extra bay, and in what would appear to be an extended battery. I think the TSA has forgotten why they're checking these things and just believe they have to check some electronics because that's what they've always done. Logic has little to do with it.
    EdmundDantes likes this.
  6. LandSurveyor

LandSurveyor LandSurveyor

Just made a trip to DC and kept my Touchpad in my backpack. Had my phones stuffed in there as well. They went through the scanner without any comment. I was more mystified as to why we had to remove our belts.
  7. NetBrakr

Really, LS? Wow.
  8. LandSurveyor

LandSurveyor LandSurveyor

Yes. Not that I have any experience to compare with. Those were my first and second commercial flights. ATL to Baltimore-Washington and back. Nary a word about them either way.