age complications?

Discussion in 'Palm' started by Nicholas w, Jul 4, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Nicholas w

Nicholas w Mobile Deity

(the title i put on here doesnt make much sense) i am not saying that i am but if someone were oh say 12 years of age does it mean that you would be less likely to use their solutions to your problems?

2. Steve T

Steve T Mobile Deity

A solution is a solution. Provided it works, it's good to post or offer solutions.

But some people may be sensitive about taking advice from someone much younger than themselves. There's a tendency for adults when talking to a 12 year old to automatically take a 'parent - child' or 'teacher - student' position, and it's difficult for them to reconcile this with receiving advice.

And this can be very frustrating for the 12 year old if he's sure his advice is the best for the circumstances.

The trick is for the 12 year old to give advice while still making the adult think he knows more and it was his idea. :) Learning how to do that becomes very useful even later in life, when you're dealing with bosses, clients, coworkers, and partners.

Cheers

3. Ben S

Ben S Mobile Deity

One of the great strengths of the Internet as an equalizer is that unless you choose to tell people something personal about yourself (like your age), it doesn't need to be known. If it's not immediately obvious by your behavior, then why make an unnecessary distinction?

For what it's worth, I've encountered plenty of 12 year olds that act more mature than some 50 year olds I know, at least on-line. It's all a matter of perception and as Steve said, a solution is a solution. This kind of forum rewards knowledge and experience more than artificial indicators of such things like your age.

4. Steve T

Steve T Mobile Deity

That's true. Not a lot of people realise I'm a Russian Ballerina with the Bolshoi.

... no, wait, that's my evil twin brother.

5. Be3G

Be3G Mobile Deity

Hmmm.....

6. NeilMcD

NeilMcD Mobile Consultant

most 12 year olds are able to program their parents VCR. Even at the fairly tender age of 29, I still get stuck on this.

The only time I would pick someone else's advice over yours, Nick, would be if that person had more relevant experience than you.

BUT

If I were asking for something that would be as creative as all-git-out, then I would prefer your feedback. After all, who wants to hear old farts talk?

*pfft* whups. :rolleyes:

7. B1F

B1F Mobile Consultant

Hey! I resemble that comment! Now get off my lawn!! :D j/k!

8. Be3G

Be3G Mobile Deity

Ummm..... did you mean resent? :D

Thomas

9. Ben S

Ben S Mobile Deity

Probably... he was trying to talk without his teeth in again :)

10. imported_ken

imported_ken VIP Member

Like Mr. Benjamin S said, he knows alot of 12yr olds more mature than 50 year olds on the net. Of course like me! On the net I'm a complete idiot (as it seems) but in real life....n/m bad example.

Okay, I know alot of people who are imature on the net but smart in real life. Good example eh?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.