Aftermarket charger

Discussion in 'HP iPAQ 210 Enterprise Handheld' started by AndyW114, Apr 20, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Menneisyys

Menneisyys Mobile Deity

Any answers to this question? As USB charging is MUCH slower (see my and others' measurements) than using a round barrel plug to 24 pin dock plug with the standard 5V 2A wall charger, this should be the preferred way of charging the device. Too bad such a converter doesn't come with the 210 (or does it?).

2. David Hettel

David Hettel Mobile Deity

It does, it is included as part of the 210. If you have a 210 you should have received a converter/adapter. Didn't you get one?

3. JakeRich

JakeRich Mobile Deity

I don't know of any supplier (yet) who makes the barrel-24 pin connector. Only HP makes it and they don't sell it separately. You get one in the package, that's it. I'd like to have 3-4, but for now, I carry the one in my pocket everywhere I go.

4. rush

rush Mobile Enthusiast

synchronization cable included in the box can be used as converter - it has 24-pin connector and barrel input. I charged my 214 with this 'adapter' and wall charger many times when I left the small converter at work

5. juttonn

juttonn Mobile Consultant

Well, I was interested in getting a 2nd round barrel plug to 24 pin adapter, and now I have lost my original adapter. This means that all I have to charge my 210 is the sync cable (which I leave at my office desk) and a 110v to USB adapter plug that I attach a USB "A" to mini USB cable to (but that is slow charging). The good new is that I have found where I can buy a replacement adapter: http://www.pocketpctechs.com/main~u... 210 power accessories~item~I21-ADPTPLG01.htm. The bad news is that it is $20. Seems kind of steep, but it is an original OEM part. I wish a 3rd party (cheap asian factory source) would make an adapter and sell it. Has anyone seen something along those lines?

My other option is to purchase an after market charge and sync cable on ebay for around $10 with shipping, or the original OEM cable from HP for $20 (they also sell a sync cable that is just the USB "A" to mini USB cable for $20--what a rip off). The other option is to get the enhanced sync/chargine USB cable that includes the USB host plug for $50. I don't think that I'll do this since I never once used the USB host on my Pocket Loox 720 in the 3 years or so that I had that device.

I'll probably go cheap and get the after-market sync cable on ebay. I can't see it, but the description says you need to plug in your power chord for charging, so it must do the round barrel plug to 24 pin adaptation.

6. champivole

champivole Mobile Enthusiast

7. champivole

champivole Mobile Enthusiast

8. Konrad Pierce

Konrad Pierce Village Idiot 2.0

I use this approach now. I can't be sure about the 21X, but my older iPAQ h2210, Axim, and numerous other electronics plug into it quite easily. 2500mA doesn't seem to hurt anything; maybe the devices/batteries have their own regulation, maybe they even charge 25% faster, it hardly matters since nothing's melted, ignited, or blown up yet. I suspect an excessive safety margin is factored into the OEM ratings/warnings, to prevent irresponsible consumers (like me) from burning down their homes or something (or worse yet: suing them). BTW, I assume no responsibility if you do this and it causes problems. ;)