After reading about all of TX's digitizer problems I am now thinking twice about a purchase!

Discussion in 'Palm' started by Smudgie, Mar 25, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. matiasasun

matiasasun PALM TX Owner

Thanks Yorker!

Next question: Assuming my screen is having trouble because of my habitus of pushing too hard with the pen... Will it be progressive? If I´m gentle from now on, will the problem stop? Or when there is one of those dots broken the whole screen fails in a few days/weeks no matter what?
    That info could help me a lot!

Thanks in advance!

2. AlanG

AlanG Mobile Deity

Another free application is DigiFix.

Alan G

3. yorker

yorker Mobile Deity

Yes, it will continue on to get worse. It would be a good idea to be gentle with the screen, so that it doesn't get deadspots. The dots are called pixels, if it is "broken" or damaged it will not disrupt the screen it will just be a dead pixel. It might be just a blue, black, or green dot.

4. Gregte

Gregte TX lifer

To be clear, the screen itself is a liquid crystal display the which shows the image you see on the TX. The digitizer, which is what is giving you trouble, is another component that is layered on top of the LCD.

The LCD contains the pixels that you see. They rarely fail on the PDA. The inside of the digitizer is what fails on the TX and has the so-called 'dead spots'.

To answer your question, the digitizer will likely get worse, as in requiring more pressure and perhaps developing more dead spots. However, this has nothing to do with the pixels which comprise the image you see on your screen. That will likely last indefinitely unless you physically break the screen by dropping it or sitting on it etc.

5. yorker

yorker Mobile Deity

Woops! I had it the other way. Thanks for correcting Gregte.

6. maceyr

maceyr Palm Explorer

There's a lot more shareware and freeware digitizer software that I've compiled on my digitizer posting here. (Shameless self plug). If you know of other software not mentioned, please do so and I'll add it to the post. Thanks!

7. mansfield

mansfield Palm Enthusiast

My digitizer story: At about the four month mark, realized that there was a worn spot on the lower left-center of the digitizer (alpha side of the DIA in portrait mode). I could feel the spot through the stylus before I saw it.

I replaced the digitizer and then started to see the worn spot returning, so I got a Boxwave screen protector. Now I am getting a worn spot on the screen protector. So I will be buying another screen protector...maybe a set of them.

I suppose the moral of the story is that screen protectors are a good thing, but I think I should try another type of stylus.

Also, I don't think I press hard on the device, but I am a demographic of only one with a history of a specific wear pattern. Since some users go "naked" and have no problems whatsoever, I wonder how many digitizer complaints have an origin with the user or stylus (pressure applied through the stylus, angle of the stylus, type/hardness of the stylus, etc).

8. jigwashere

jigwashere Mobile Deity

It does sound like you've got a spot on the stylus that's causing wear on the screen. I don't know if you can polish the tip or not. I would get a different stylus. My guess is that a glass digitizer wouldn't show the wear you're experiencing.

9. Gregte

Gregte TX lifer

But you must remember that the 'glass' digitizer for the TX is only half glass. The bottom layer is glass but the top layer that the stylus touches is still plastic just like the 'plastic' digitizer that comes on the TX.

10. jigwashere

jigwashere Mobile Deity

That would be "knowing" instead of guessing. :D Thanks Gregte! :)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.