Adobe Gives Up on Tool that Would Let Flash Developers Create iPhone Apps Discussion

Discussion in 'Headline News' started by Ed Hardy, Apr 21, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Ed Hardy

Ed Hardy TabletPCReview Editor Staff Member

It's well known that Apple doesn't want Adobe Flash on its products, and now the company doesn't even want Flash developers to create apps for the iPhone. In the face of objections from Apple, Adobe has stopped working on a tool that will let developers create Flash and iPhone versions of their apps.

Read the full content of this Article: Adobe Gives Up on Tool that Would Let Flash Developers Create iPhone Apps

Related Articles:

Tweetie Will Become the Official iPhone Twitter App

Opera Mini for iPhone Hits 1 Million Downloads

Adobe Says Flash Player for Android OS on Track to Launch by the End of June

Last edited by a moderator: May 20, 2015
  2. Ed Hardy

Ed Hardy TabletPCReview Editor Staff Member

Mike Chambers from Adobe also used this announcement to take several shots at Apple. This includes his opinion on the reason Apple is blocking Flash CS5 from creating iPhone apps:

3. Varjak

Varjak Mobile Deity

Of all the bizarre Apple things and hang-ups; this one blows my mind the most. At this point, Apple doesn't just have some legitimate issues with Adobe, it's a death-match or vendetta.

I have no direct interest in this; but why would Apple care that much about what tools were used to even DEVELOP apps for their products? It's not like Adobe is trying to force Flash on them or anything (at least as far as I understand it). And it really doesn't serve Apple's purpose all that much. If there's demand, a company will invest in re-making an app for another platform, whether it has a 'short-cut' or not. It won't stop development for other platforms.

4. headcronie

headcronie Greyscale. Nuff Said. Super Moderator

When will the masses stop supporting this 2-ton gorilla? This fad has got to go!

This is anti-competitive at its worst.

Makes me glad I'm someone with purchasing power where I work. I've clearly laid it out on the table, that we won't be buying anything from this bully in any form. We won't support it either.

5. hal

hal itchy and cold feet hal

Apple is following a walled garden approach that has made some other giants into dwarfs. Whenever a platform is too exclusive, it limits its own growth. Think of Nextel.

6. Antoine Wright

Antoine Wright Neighborhood Mobilist Super Moderator

7. Mi An

Mi An Untethered

Though I don't disagree with any taunt that has come out of Adobe, I think the Opera Mini affair would be constructive for how they should proceed given how mercurial and emotional Apple can be in their decision making process. Opera was respectful, and led a careful campaign to achieve popular support without starting anything resembling a fight. Certainly, that's not the only difference between Opera and Adobe, But if Adobe is ever going to make progress with Apple, it isn't going to be by picking a fight.

From Rick's signature: "If you find a big kettle of crazy, it's best not to stir it"? Someone should email that to Adobe.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.