Addit software taking up space on laptop

Discussion in 'Palm General' started by Glennski, Feb 3, 2013.

1. Glennski

Glennski How Little I Know -Bucky

Hello, have been reading the discussions here about Addit, most of them about 4 years old or so...:hi2:

I'd like to know if Addit as installed on laptop can be safely deleted. Taking up about 500MB and I'd like to free up the space. I don't use it on my TX. Thanks:D

2. jigwashere

jigwashere Life is a circus!

I don't remember Addit taking up any space on my PC. I would think it's safe to delete, but I don't really know. 500MB? That sounds really weird.

3. Glennski

Glennski How Little I Know -Bucky

I will go ahead and just delete it. It must be growing somehow, maybe it is gathering news or whatever it's supposed to do.:eek: I'm sure if the TX does not like the deletion it will let me know... Thanks jig :thumbsup:

4. r0k

r0k Dazed

Since Addit was trying to aggregate news, weather, etc, I can see it taking up a huge amount of space if you've left it running on your PC but never transferred any content to your Palm device. I would say it's definitely safe to delete it but perhaps you might just shut the thing down, then find out where it caches articles and delete them directly. This way if you ever decide you need addit again, you aren't faced with trying to contact a (possibly defunct) software company to help you with a problem on an (unsupported) operating system.

lelisa13p likes this.
  5. hal

hal itchy and cold feet hal

AddIt works from your Palm, Glennski, and as pointed out, it grabbed news by means of Reuters, killed off back in 2005 or 2006. It aggregated these digests taken from the Wikipedia by means of an app called Amy's Knowledge Tree, and it allowed to do several downloads by means of an apps catalog that I'm not pretty sure who ran it, or still runs it, perhaps it's still up. Supposedly, it should be an online Palm store, but I could be wrong and perhaps it could be run instead by the company behind the whole thing, called BlueFish Wireless.

If you have no use for the AddIt bundle, first delete it from the mobile device, best if you use an app like Destaller. And then, in your computer, delete the AddIt folder from your user file. If it has grown up to 500MB, it's likely that it's loaded with many downloads coming from the aforementioned app store.

Last edited: Feb 4, 2013
    RickAgresta likes this.
  6. Hook

Hook Phone Killer ;-) Arrrrr...f

Also, be warned that it will be back if you do a hard reset.

RickAgresta and hal like this.