Activating with Verizon

Discussion in 'Other Device Manufacturers' started by Hutchie, Feb 28, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Hutchie

Hutchie Mobile Enthusiast

So I just activated my xv6700 that I purchased from Ebay, and they required me to have a data plan. I chose the pay as you go, because I do not intend to use verizon's internet. Is there a way I can go without the data plan? And/or Is there a way I can block my phone from accidentally using it somehow?

Thanks.

2. JK27

JK27 Mobile Deity

Yes, you can survive without a data plan -- I'm also on the Pay as You Go and I NEVER have any data charges. That's because I'm a heavy Wi-Fi user. I have Wi-fi at home, at work, and at many places I frequent. Consequently, I really don't NEED the Verizon data network (or its related charges). And, yes, you can ask Verizon to block the data network for you permanently. I have chosen not to do this -- as you never know when you just might need to access the 'net in a non-Wi-Fi area. There are ways to prevent accidentally connecting to the Verizon data network.

A good starting point is this post on tips/tricks with the xv6700: http://www.howardforums.com/showthread.php?t=837590

3. Hutchie

Hutchie Mobile Enthusiast

Thanks JK,

Do you need a different browser to use a wireless LAN connection? I was talking to a lady through Verizon support today, and she mentioned I couldn't use IE or I'd be using the data plan.

Also I've heard of people with PDA phones without data plans. For instance, my roommate has a Treo 650 with Verizon and doesn't have one, yet they tell me I have to have one over the phone. I also have read about people getting their EVDO or whatever disabled, is that a manual thing or over the phone with Verizon?

4. JK27

JK27 Mobile Deity

These VZW customer service people are hilarious!! No, she's completely wrong. You can, in fact, use IE as a browser and not use any of VZW's data plan (as long as you're using a Wi-Fi network at the time). And, choosing a "Pay as you Go" plan does count as a data plan (even though you won't use any data or pay anything for it). No, you don't want to disable EVDO, you want to disable access to the VZW data network/service. If you want to do this, you can do it over the phone with a customer service rep. However, if you want to keep open the possibility of using the network, then you want to tweak your phone (as set forth in the link I provided above).

5. johnsoax

johnsoax Mobile Enthusiast

Man I got lucky with the woman that I talked to to activate my phone last night. I did get the data lock so taht I wouldn't have to worry about getting any charges (I only live in a 1x area, so it would be slow and expensive).

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.