Accessory Rant

Discussion in 'Off Topic' started by DragonHunter, Dec 29, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. DragonHunter

DragonHunter Bow, bow, bow, bow

Warning--Grump Old Man Muttering.....

So In the last several months I have acquired an iPod Touch and a new MacBook. :newpalm:

As I have contemplated accessories, I just get irrated, though. I mean seriously, how much plastic goes into your average Touch case? If they are spending $1 a piece to produce those things, it is a lot, and yet, they expect to sell them for $20+.

Then there is my new MacBook...the snap-on case things....$40+. Sleeves $30+:eek: Seriously? It's a few pieces of fabric and a zipper. Being a tight-fisted cheapskate I was going to make my own, but a friend gave me one, so I'm happy now.

(Grumpy old man posts don't need points do they?)

If I had one, well, 2...it would be....someone could come in with "bargain" accessories and make a killing, it seems to me.

Second, I will continue to browse the local dollar stores until I find a case I like for my Touch. (I know it's possible. My daughter found a nice leather one for her iPod classic for $1 a while back. I'm hoping....)

Bah!;)

2. jigwashere

jigwashere Mobile Deity

3. DragonHunter

Thanks...I am definitely a lifehacker fan. I'll post pictures of my dock one of these days.

4. Varjak

Varjak Mobile Deity

Dragonhunter, you're a person after my own heart. I get ticked at paying $15 for a sheet of plastic (Boxwave protector) and they have the gall to charge several dollars for SHIPPING! Hey, have they heard of a stamp and an envelope? It's a lousy cardboard holder with the protector, a tiny cloth, and chip of cardboard. So two stamps.

I got my Flexiskin for my Palm on closeout; but it was still $5 or so. Regularly something like $30! Geez, it's a lousy latex mold!

It is ridiculous. But that's why big-box stores sell HDMI cables for $50 and one can buy them from Monoprix, etc. for less than $10!

5. palmgeek5394

palmgeek5394 Nokia N800 + HTC Wizard

Don't you know it? I saw a DVI-D cable at Best Buy for $40, and I saw the same one online for $10 (thankfully my new monitor came with one). And my little brother wanted some silicone case for his iPod Touch (also from Best Buy) for $25-30. I got a case that was bigger and had a plastic screen cover with it for $5 for my T5. And I'd rather do this than buy actual screen protectors ($15 for just a square foot or two of plastic, depending on the brand and number of screen protectors). It's way cheaper. :)

6. hal

hal itchy and cold feet hal

Speaking of shipment costs, try to order them outbounds. Then you'll know expensive. As in ludicrous. I once purchased a book at $2.00 (your currency), and the shipment was for $10.00 (your currency). FWIW, I purchased it at a local online market. You know, with the .mx suffix. So WTF didn't they warn it was coming from Oklahoma? I could have hoofed the sidewalk to the nearest book store and so much for the online shopping. Also, I think Varjak is right, is the envelope a forbidden office surplus currently? Why do I have to receive a replacement to my credit card in a... BOX???

7. Varjak

Varjak Mobile Deity

Hal, that's why the 'myth' of the 'rational economic man' is so ridiculous. People don't maximize their utility rationally (not even close). If more people voted with their feet/wallets/etc.; we wouldn't all get ripped off.

8. hal

hal itchy and cold feet hal

Uh, I couldn't agree more. At workie, we keep the remnants of boxes and liners to pack just anything of any size, cause we are a buncha cheapos, and cause we hate the waste of materials. We all hate we can't pack something the size of a light bulb cause we sent the spare boxes to the garbage. OTOH, my boss has a personal organization problem, and I hate him for it. I have had to send the errands guy to the same city burrough four times in a day cause my boss can't follow a checklist. His PDA is a ludicrous paper holder in his desk.

I think we all got it wrong with standardization. OK, it works for shipments the size of a trailer rig, but I can't stop laughing at my credit card arriving on a box. It doesn't matter the size, it's a BOX, for chrissake. I bet the messenger in a bike, plus the box, plus the paperwork, plus all the stupid standardized decals, plus the plastic envelopes for the stupid standardized decals, were more expensive that the credit card itself. As we say here, the broth turned out more expensive than the meatballs :D

9. Varjak

Varjak Mobile Deity

Just thought I'd update this thread with a POSITIVE example. I ordered one of the memory card holders from Proporta. It's a tiny, lightweight thing. It cost $7 all told, including shipping (shipped from the UK!). I got it in FOUR DAYS (again, from the UK) and it was sent in a small envelope. In fact, the packaging could have been even smaller; but they included a rather thick catalogue. Unfortunately, the postage amount wasn't noted on the envelope, but it couldn't have been much.

That's the way to do business. Thanks Proporta.

10. DragonHunter

Good to hear a good news story.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.