A Treo 650 / Palm TX comparison

Discussion in 'Palm' started by r0k, Apr 3, 2006.

1. holvoetn

holvoetn Still a moderator ...

Contact Verizon saying yours did not have a camera and that you are not allowed to have one at work. Ask them to send a CORRECT replacement and say you will keep this one until it arrives ?
    If luck is with you, you might have THREE devices for a while ;)

2. koshki

koshki Mobile Evangelist

r0k, sorry about the camera!
    I NEED a bluetooth phone to use a hands-free headset. I would LIKE to combine phone and PDA, but no product seems perfect, since I like/need WiFi. So I think my short term answer is to just get the phone, and wait to combine devices once the 680 is available and/or my T|C gives up the ghost. I appreciate your advice in helping me sort this out!

Koshki

3. r0k

r0k Dazed

Good one, H.

For a minute there, I thought you were going to say Verizon would actually correct a mistake they had made. But I'm gonna give it a shot! Stranger things have happened...

4. holvoetn

holvoetn Still a moderator ...

Be advised that as cards are laid on the table now there is NO WiFi support possible for Treo 680.

SD card option is out (not one single PalmOS based Treo has official drivers for this).
    Enfora sled is out (they already communicated, maybe not officially, they will not support 680).

Just to make you aware ...

5. r0k

r0k Dazed

1.05 and my phone is alive. I ran the Mac version of the install. There is a problem with the installation instructions:

Your Mac's web browser should automatically expand the file into a folder named "PALM."
    Note: If the browser does not expand the file automatically, use an expansion utility.

on step 2 of Download and Install it says...
    then a little further down it says...

Now which is it? I tried putting the 37 files in the root of an old 512 meg sd card. I tried them in the palm directory. I was thinking of trying them in the palm/launcher directory when I decided to give up and use the hotsync method that had failed so miserably on me with the pc based install.

Well it got to the E911 updater screen and I braced myself for the reset loop. 60 seconds went by and it moved to the progress bar for flashing the ROM. WOOHOO! I got past the dreaded E911 reset loop. How did I do this, you might ask? Well, I'm not sure. It's either the mac version of the install works better or the install works better going from 1.04 to 1.05 than it did trying to go from 1.03 to 1.05.

Whatever.

I don't care.

I got 1.05 on my phone and successfully paired with my car and made a handsfree call. Performance does seem faster than 1.04 which would freeze going in and out of the phone application. Now all that remains is to test versamail and blazer.

The local time setting is new, too. When you are on the pick local time screen after a hard reset, you have a chance to set the time manually if you want. The separate dialog for setting up handsfree kits is still there and I didn't notice anything new there.

I just gotta test all my applications, make sure I got a working phone and get all this done in time to send that camera model back to Verizon. I know, I could ask them to send me another one but since mine is working now I think enough postage has been burned on this deal. Now I'm off to enjoy my shiny (old) 1.05 Verizon Treo. And if it so much as resets on me, I've got the spare. If I do find the spare to be necessary, I will ask them for another advanced exchange so I wind up with a camera-free phone at the end of the day.

I played with the camera and camcorder on the replacement Treo and now part of me is tempted to just add a phone line and carry a "stupid" phone in those places with no camera policies, but I know what would really happen. The spare would never be with me when I need it. It would never be charged. Scratch that. I gotta stick with one phone. Leave the camera toys to the kids and keep the blind phone. Oh well, it was a fun thought while it lasted.

6. Dick Tracy

Dick Tracy Detective/Moderator

Glad to hear you're back in business r0k. :newpalm:

7. r0k

r0k Dazed

Thanks, DT! My blazer is now version 4.3.2.1 and my versamail stayed at version 3.1. I'm poking around looking for things which are different now. So far, nothing is jumping out at me. I launched blazer and the screen went white so long I had time to slide off the back and pull out the stylus... then it came back. Hopefully that was a one-time occurrence. ;)

8. r0k

r0k Dazed

I'm posting from my treo 650 and the speed with 1.05 has improved. I signed up for a bundled data voice plan to do my testing. at $15 per meg I can't afford to load bh even once using mobile 2 style! there are still several page loads at 200k each to get to this point even with images disabled. this is the longest text I've ever typed using my treo and my hands are sore. NOT a laptop repl. but ok in a pinch

Edit:
    Whew. Now I'm back at a real keyboard. I think I will need one of those folding keyboards to really use the Treo for long text... The red LED comes on and stays on for long periods of time when I'm not using the 'net. I'm not sure what the phone thinks it's doing. The data throughput seems faster than on my old 1.03 software. Time will tell whether it's good enough. When I was at Ohare airport and it took longer to get the airline page to come up on my Treo than it would have taken to call the reservation number I stopped using the data plan. Perhaps the concourse was a cell dead spot and that's why the connection was so poor. I will walk around using data, albeit sparingly and report my findings. While data seems faster with 1.05, I am still salivating for the 700p. Well, come to think of it, Chirstmas is coming... ;) I should check the vzw web site to see if there are any no-camera versions of the 700 series available yet.

9. keithgibbons

keithgibbons Mobile Enthusiast

My Treo 650 has been the best of times and the worst of times for me. I purchased the 650 because I was a full-time college student who also had a full-time job. My educational study included 32 hrs/wk in hospital clinical rotation and my regular work schedule was at multiple branches. I was in need of a powerful organizer/planner and a new phone at the same time. I thought about buying a laptop and a new phone, but when the pricetag for the two was going to be around $7-800 I opted for the 650 instead, thinking I would save money.

PROS:
    1. GREAT planner/scheduler/to do/memo features.
    2. HotSync PC backup has saved my butt twice already. The info I would have lost without it would have taken days to retrieve/reprogram on any phone I had owned before.
    3. Ability to access internet.
    4. Acceptable storage with 2GB SD card slot.
    5. Play MP3, Videos, and store JPEG.
    6. Great documents capabilities (Word, Works, Excel, Adobe) I used to just scan in my Syllabi from school, work on papers anytime, etc
    7. e reader book files are a great way to pass the time, and always have a book handy
    8. Some freeware available (be wary)
    9. As a PDA it's size is ideal.

CONS:
    1. 32MB SDRAM way underpowered. When multitasking I experiencie a great deal of hitching, hiccups, resets, etc
    2. Random phone resets for no reason, while on calls or sending SMS, and heavy VersaMail users report massive reset problems.
    3. Though it has internet capability, it costs me $15 extra per month for a Sprint PCS subscription. Download speeds are akin to that of old-school dial-up. Many popular sites do not support the Blazer browser software. (Mapquest, et al)...and worst of all NO WI-FI!!!
    4. Though the Treo 650 comes pretty nicely equipped with a great deal of software bundled in the initial purchase, you need to purchase a lot of pricey ($15 and up...way up) upgrades to make it really work. Examples would be: speaker amplifying software (hard to hear when in a car or public place), SD card(s), MP3 ringer software (the 650 only plays MIDI ringtones out of the box), games, bluetooth equipment, and the list goes on depending on what uses you have for it.
    5. Screen is too small and clarity is sub-par. Keys are just a tad too small. Camera and video recording are practically worthless the quality is so bad.
    6. As a phone it's way too bulky.

I purchased the Treo 650 to avoid having to carry a phone and a laptop, and to save some money. However, after all the money I've spent on upgrades to make it fit my lifestyle I've spent close to $600 on my Treo 650. I could have gotten a laptop with 1.5G processor, 512MB RAM, DVD RW, 80 GB hard drive, with built-in WIFI and a new phone for about $700. So hindsight being 20/20 and all I wish I would have gotten the laptop and phone separately, but the Treo has been...serviceable...and I am not throwing it out the window yet.

10. r0k

r0k Dazed

Hehe. I've tossed a cell out the window. It was one of those old analog flip phones and I got so tired of dropped call nonsense that I heaved the thing out on the freeway. Later I went back by the spot and there weren't any pieces big enough to recognize. It felt good to heave it out :), but a lot of money went out the window with that doggone phone :(

Meanwhile, it's time for another installment/update. The new Google apps on the 650.

Google maps. SWEEET. Finding my way to the Mass Pike from Boston Logan with the big dig closed. Priceless! Of course the data speed is painful but seems faster than it was in the days of 1.03 software when every load of every kind, whether blazer or versamail would mean several timeouts and retries costing 10x the amount of data any page load really should have taken.

Then there is the google mail app. I went to the site and it downloaded to sd card and that was it. It never installed anything. How can the same company that produced a PRC file for maps produce some gibberish file that fails to install for gmail? Google is getting so big the left hand (gmail) doesn't know what the right (correct?) hand (maps) is doing. Those guys really ought to talk between chimneys, ahem I mean departments.