A Treo 650 / Palm TX comparison

Discussion in 'Palm' started by r0k, Apr 3, 2006.

1. r0k

r0k Dazed

Yesterday, I was in a meeting with guys who brought a long a Blackberry and a 700w. I was delighted to do some quick comparisions. The Blackberry appeared to remain on with the backlight off.

I was really interested in the 700w. I picked it up and saw it was on the today screen. There was a place to enter a number to dial. Of course there was the start button. I tapped "messages" which brought up outlook. I hit the "close" button, but I'm sure it just went back to background. My friend commented that he was getting several resets a day. He has not loaded any updates on his Treo 700w. I remember hearing about a 3rd party app that (spb) that shuts down apps when you close them rather than letting them fill up memory. I was not immediately struck by the screen resolution. I have heard a lot of criticism of 240x240, but it didn't look bad. Palmos tends to use larger fonts at higher resolution so the screen on my Treo didn't "seem" to be set at a higher resolution than his.

The 700w size "seemed" identical to my 650. I would certainly consider a 700p if it meant more memory and better data speeds in a 700w sized device but with a 320x320 screen. The biggest pain for me on my 650 is juggling the mere 32 meg of memory after having gotten used to 128 meg on my TX.

Edit: My friend's Blackberry carrier is vodaphone. He gets his push email here by using cingular which is a vodaphone partner. He also has a separate cell phone so he can talk on the phone and do email at the same time. He has never looked to see if a speakerphone feature exists on the Blackberry.

2. r0k

r0k Dazed

Now that the 700p is announced, will I upgrade?

Several factors make me want the 700p:
    1 - I need more internal memory.
    2 - I need faster (EVDO) data speeds.
    3 - I would like bluetooth 1.2.
    4 - I would like docs2go in ROM so I don't need to "install" it from the cd
    5 - I would like versamail preinstalled as well
    6 - an updated applications screen that supports a background image would also be nice

It seems odd that neither Sprint or Verizon were on the bandwagon from day one with the announcement of the 700p. Maybe they will be on board later this week.

Will I "milk" my 650 for a year or so to wait for the 700p price to fall? Only time will tell...

3. r0k

r0k Dazed

I spent the last couple of days zooming around the corn fields with my Treo 650 and I find it's performance spectacular. I never had a dropped call and was able to use the phone even on the 2 lane roads many miles from the interstate. Since we all know the Treo 650 is digital only with no analog backup, these western Michigan corn fields must be digital.

I noticed a couple of new wrinkles that make me miss my TX. IF I ever decided to go and get a wifi sd card, the network dialog on the Treo says "locked by carrier". Drat. With such poor data speed, the least they could do is unlock network settings so we can use a hotspot here and there. Maybe I will look into one of those enfora sleds, but first I might check out the availability of a 700p with no camera.

When you receive an sms message containing a phone number, the phone number becomes a hyperlink allowing you to dial from inside the sms reader. The more I use my Treo 650, the better I like. It is WAY BETTER than any cell phone I have ever owned from Motorola, Nokia, etc, etc. It leaves something to be desired as a pda (internal memory) but is a decent compromise. I imagine the 700p will be incrementally better with more memory and better data speeds. I can't wait...

4. r0k

r0k Dazed

The Treo 650 stability has surpassed my old TX.

Looking at resets, I see that the most recent was on 5/8/6 and the one before that was on 4/28/6. I have had no hard resets since getting my Treo. Some of the strikes against my TX were from non-nvfs aware apps, but even after they were all weeded out, I would still get occasional resets and even a hard reset every now and then. With the Treo, I am finally back to a device that I could walk around with and rely only on hotsync for backup. Of course, I won't fall back to an older backup strategy now that I have resco backup automatically saving my stuff every night, but I no longer manually run backupman as a secondary safety net.

5. PalmOSFan

PalmOSFan iPhone stunt-driver

r0k, I just wanted to know if you have unloaded your TX yet? I'm basically with you in the same boat --- I have a relatively new TX sitting on my shelf at home, thinking I would still utilize it on occasion as an alternative to my T650. This has not been the case. I think I will be eBaying the TX very soon.

Also, I have watched with interest the announcement of the 700p and desire to have it. I was hoping I could force myself to wait for a while given that I've only had my T650 for a couple months. Fortunately (or unfortunately, depending on one's view), I will be forced to wait given that I'm a Cingular user and I imagine it will be a good 4-6 months before Cingular carries the 700p. So, my 650 and I will become better friends over the next few months. Since I was able to get it unlocked, it should be easier to sell it when the time comes.

r0k, thanks again for your insight and comparison of the 650 and TX. It will be interesting to read your future entries. By the way, I'm LOVING Resco Backup --- the BEST backup program I've used on the Palm, period.

6. r0k

r0k Dazed

Copying a PM to this thread...

I will add this to my existing Treo 650 vs TX thread so others may benefit as well...

I recommend you go with the 700p as its capabilities most closely compete with the TX. I found the small memory of the Treo to be a hassle, but worth it for me to milk at least a year of use before moving to the 700p. As a student, you might want to save money and opt for the 650. I think it will do just fine, but you may run into some of the memory issues I found.

To sum up: A TX and a decent phone make a very good combination, but for portability and convenience go for the 700p or the 650.

hope this helps...

7. r0k

r0k Dazed

It's time for another update. I had an involuntary soft reset today. When I look at Sysinfo to see when was the last time I reset my Treo, it's off the scale. Probably over 2 months ago. Today, I was trying to get to a 10 am meeting and at 9:58 discovered that there are two roads a mile apart with the same name. I wasn't sure I was at the correct road, so I wanted to call my contact and confirm. Meanwhile, he was leaving me voicemail to call him if I needed directions. So I called voicemail to get his message, then tried hitting calendar to get to my only handy copy of his phone number and KABLOOEY. I was looking at a palm logo.

For a moment I was worried that it would go all the way down to the metal and force me to do a restore using Resco backup which is something I had experienced back in my TX days. No. It was just a somewhat slow soft reset. First I had to wait for the soft reset, then I had to wait through the Verizon welcome screen which lasts longer than the soft reset. Finally, at 10:03 I was able to copy the phone number from the appointment screen and paste it into the phone application to initiate the call and confirm the location of the meeting.

An unscheduled soft reset is costly NO MATTER WHEN IT OCCURS, but especially when it occurs as you are trying to verify directions and are running late. I am hoping I will not experience this again any time soon. With a phone that hasn't had a reset in months, I cannot begin to speculate that it is time for me to go on a naughty application hunt. Something about the Treo 650 is less than perfectly stable. I don't have the latest Verizon ROM update loaded and don't plan to. I guess an unwanted soft reset once or twice a year is no big deal, but I would really rather never have my day interrupted by such a thing.

8. minimalposter

minimalposter some call me ... mp

I am glad you are still updating the thread r0k!!

This is something I have thought about as well. I am contemplating switching to a Treo for very specific business purposes. As a result I need an almost rock solid Treo. I don't think that a medical emergency will be able to wait just because my Treo crashed.

Keep up the good work :)

9. Kerryd

Kerryd Mobile Deity

Interesting! I am tired of my TX and would like to replace it. I'm thinking of getting a Lifedrive. However I'm wondering whether I'd be smarter getting a Treo 650. I know they are very different products but was wondering what your thoughts are about this.

Thanks

Kerry

10. r0k

r0k Dazed

Thanks! I really enjoyed my TX and I continue to enjoy my Treo 650, despite occasional problems such as my recent loss of the ability to use my bluetooth car kit.

I would recommend the 700 over the 650 because the 650 has so little memory. Don't get me wrong. I love my Treo 650. It is an excellent phone and a decent pda, but bear in mind having a mere 32 meg of nvfs means that the pda portion of the Treo 650 has more in common with the Z22 than it does with the TX, while the pda portion of the Treo 700p has as much built in nvfs memory as the TX (128 meg).

Another couple of nice things to get on the Treos are the LED and the microphone. The reason I care about nvfs memory is that I got used to having the virtually limitless 128 meg on my TX. I also find I cannot install things internally on my Treo 650 that I used to keep internally on my TX.

Lastly, the most significant difference is the data speed. The Treo 650 data speed on Verizon's "national access" reminds me of tin-cans and string. The 700 series supports faster data speed, but I hear Verizon charges a LOT more for it.

If you are a GSM user, then you must wait a while for a 700 series phone option and in that case the Treo 650 is a viable option but you might end up playing some of the games I play such as moving a lot of apps to sd card.