A Treo 650 / Palm TX comparison

Discussion in 'Palm' started by r0k, Apr 3, 2006.

1. rob

rob Gadget Goon

Just a few points,

You can move DTG to the card with the Tech Tool. With version 8, I believe it's included, otherwise use the link to get it.

Secondly, theres a reason I refer to Versamail as VersaFAIL. I would suggest looking into Chatter. Snappermail is also a better alternative.

However in the end, you're right about the limited memory, which is why I'm soon to be moving to the 6700.

Last edited by a moderator: May 18, 2015
  2. Zusya

Zusya Mobile Enthusiast

Awesome thread. I've read it cover to cover.

This is EXACTLY the dilemma I find myself in, deciding between the Treo 650 & TX. Been back and forth several times, and back and forth to the Palm store as well. And I cannot wait to see what the 700p offers; I need something this month.

Rather than re-state the basic Pros and Cons of each (screen, Memory, etc.), here's my basic situation:

I LOVED my (dead) Treo 90 & its keyboard, for one-handed input and navigation. Advantage Treo.
    I LOVE having a small fit-in-front-pocket phone. Don't like wearing things on my belt. I'm happy getting a free upgrade phone every two years. Advantage TX.

WiFi is nice, not essential. I take my iBook 12" pretty much everywhere as it is, and am not currently in an email-critical job. I don't have a zillion contacts that I need to have with me everywhere I go. I do not have nor want data access via a phone. I DO read Docs to Go and my eyes are lousy. Pretty much a stalemate.

So, as I think this through yet again, some questions:

-How easy/practical is it to remove/replace the SIM in the Treo? If, say, I wanted to swap it with my current small phone for hiking, the beach, etc?

-I know the Treo can "fit" in a pants pocket, but is it practical (i.e. bearable) to have it there all day?

-On the other side, How useful are the QWERTY screen-apps for the TX? And how much one-handed-ness does the 5-way-key permit?

-Would it be silly to get the Treo *just* as a PDA, given the TX specs, and use it with a smaller Bluetooth phone?

Yeah, yeah, I know that who I marry is ultimately my own personal decision, but I'm also looking for advice.

Thanks,
    Jonathan

3. r0k

r0k Dazed

Welcome to Brighthand, Zusya!

I just got back from spending the weekend out of town with the family. My wife had a TX with her and I had my Treo. We needed to check and send email. I pulled up work email on my Treo rather quickly and without the usual number of errors and retries. I was tempted to set up her wifi to grab personal email as it would have been much quicker than using the Treo, but then we stumbled across the business center. Five minutes on mail2web.com and our work was done. I want my next Treo to be just that painless. I hope that the 700p will offer the speed that would make going to mail2web on a phone practical.

You mention sim cards. Mine is CDMA, hence no sim card. If your service is GSM, you can expect MUCH better data performance than what Verizon offers Treo users. The only down side is Treo memory, but if you put ALL your apps on sd card, you should find the Treo can stand up to full PDA use. I'm currently looking into using dataviz's "tech tool" to move docs2go (a whopping 2 meg of files) over to sd card. I suppose a TX and GSM phone would make a nice combination on GSM as well. Basically, if you need data, CDMA is a bad way to go. I am stuck with CDMA because of phone performance requirements. Also I have heard GSM data plans are cheaper than those offered by CDMA carriers. If I find that GSM performs as well as Verizon, I will cheerfully hand over the $175 cancellation fee as only a few months of 10 cents a minute GSM service would pay for itself. But my phone has simply gotta work betwen cities, not just in the center of town.

For me, there is nothing silly about using the Treo as a pda. My pda usage is rather limited: ebooks, calendar, contacts, memos, very few native docs, and occasional games. Editing native docs is where you feel the screen pixel pinch the worst. It is very difficult to move around a document you are used to seeing at 1024x768 on only 320x320 but it can be done in a pinch.

So, as a GSM user, I think your choices are wide open. It's only complicated for those of us who choose CDMA. This is why palm is releasing several CDMA phones in a row, to offer some real data performance that competes with pocket pc on CDMA.

hope this helps...

4. rob

rob Gadget Goon

This isn't quite accurate. Sprint (which is CDMA) has the lowest rates of all carriers. Vision is as low as $10 on the Treo. (I believe it's $15 for EVDO devices.) And in my case, I get my data free.

Comparing Verizon though, they have the highest data rates of all carriers, GSM or CDMA.

The downside of CDMA is that if you are online (Actively browsing with Blazer, or pulling email) and someone calls you, it goes straight to voice mail. (However EVDO will pause the data and alert you to a call.)

GSM will let the call go through.

5. r0k

r0k Dazed

rob,

On Verizon, the Treo 650 is not EVDO compatible. This means you pay $24.99 for 10Mb per month or $40 for unlimited, but for data rates that are slower than dialup. With such a slow connection, my usage gets wasted on reloading sites that time out. It is adequate for grabbing email headers, though. Are you saying the 650 works on sprint's EVDO network? Have you downloaded the "Treo 650 updater?" Did it make a difference in your data speeds?

6. rob

rob Gadget Goon

No. Currently, Treo's are not EVDO capable (not the PalmOS ones at least, the 700W is supposed to be.)

But you mentioned that GSM data rates were cheaper than CDMA. They are cheaper than Verizon (everyone is), but Sprint's basic unlimited Vision plan (which is what you'd use on the 650) is only $10. Sprints Power Vision, which is for EVDO capable phones, is $15 (also unlimited.)

Hope that cleared up any confusion.

7. Zusya

Zusya Mobile Enthusiast

r0k

Thanks for the thoughts.

I have GSM and Cingular, but I don't foresee a need or wish to email or browse using my phone, at least not enough to justify the extra fees. The WiFi on the TX is slightly more appealing, though not to a huge degree, for the same reasons. (I live in L.A. and can find plenty of free hot spots for my needs.) For now, anyway. If my job changes, who knows?

I'm also a Mac person.

It's really about Size OR Multiple Devices, and 1-Handed Qwerty input OR Larger Screen. I may have to go into the Palm store again and play with both for an hour or so...

But I'm still interested in how your own experience and experimenting goes. And others' too.

Jonathan
    Palm IIIe-->Visor-->Treo 90-->???

8. r0k

r0k Dazed

This morning, my email server was down. Versamail handled this rather badly. It's bad enough I must pay a lot for this slow non-evdo data performance but to have it fail and tie up my phone for several minutes at a time is awful. Yes it was my isp that was down. Not Verizon. Not my Treo. But versamail just hung for up to 2 minutes when attempting to check my email today. I really miss wifi right about now and would happily upgrade to a Treo that offered wifi. Maybe I wouldn't care so much if I had a true high-speed data plan that didn't cost me an arm and a leg, but the Treo 650/Verizon situation leaves me wanting more for my money. I also found one-handedness to be rather difficult this morning. It was a lot faster to get out the stylus to click on things as the blue highlight which indicates what will happen if you hit the center of the 5-way didn't default to the places I wanted it to go.

Not a good day for r0k. Car trouble, email trouble, computer trouble and phone trouble all in one day. It's time for r0k to take a break...

edit: on the issue of one-handed qwerty vs the larger screen... no contest...i had set the lower 1/3 of my tx screen as mykbd anyway so having it in hardware is even better. for web browsing and even ebooks, a landscape screen is more useful... for now at least... now once pda screens begin to exceed vga, maybe i will start liking the tall aspect ratio again, but for now landscape is best for working on native docs, ebooks, web browsing and email. in the absence of landscape, a square screen like the Treo is just fine. This is why I don't feel the slightest penalty for losing that lower 1/3 of the TX screen.

9. Zusya

Zusya Mobile Enthusiast

I empathize with your tough day. Been there.

Yikes, hadn't even considered that using mykbd or Quickwrite means losing 1/3 of the TX screen anyway! Last night I was leaning heavily toward the TX, now it's back to the Treo.

That said, you also illuminated what may be the deciding factor: how much I see myself using whatever I get for docs, ebooks and the like. If it's mostly for contacts + planner, maybe that's a vote for the Treo even if I do keep a smaller phone.

Oy. This is why I drive my wife crazy: there's a time to stop doing research and just leap.

10. r0k

r0k Dazed

I drive my wife crazy too. She hates shopping with me. But for any company to pry multi-hundred bucks out of my wallet, I had better know up front what I'm getting in great detail. The slow data performance on Verizon was a total shock. Until I used Verizon's "National Access", I had the delusion the Treo 650 would be my last upgrade for quite some time. In order to do real data transfer related work, I must have a better data path so I will fork over money for the 700p or whatever comes along next. I will probably elect to suffer through for a while, possibly using sqweezer, or some other data reduction service. This way I get more value out of my Treo 650 investment before forking over more money for the next big (hopefully even smaller phsycally) thing...

Here are some tradeoffs I see that are central to the TX/Treo decision:

1 - The Treo really does not have enough memory, but it can get data (CDMA=slowly, GSM/GPRS=faster) everywhere digital cell coverage exists and if you are persistent, you can get things to run from sd card.

2 - The TX has plenty of memory but requires you to be in a wifi hotspot to get a connection. Wifi hotspots are becoming more common, but there is nowhere near the coverage of either CDMA or GPRS. The TX has a larger screen, but if you are typing rather than using "graffiti anywhere", you end up with the same screen as the Treo (phyisically bigger but the same effective resolution when either the "DIA" or the keyboard is visible).

This weekend, we were in a "free wifi municipality." I could have gotten my email with my TX using wifi for free, but instead used up a few megs of my paltry Verizon/Treo data plan to get my email. Can you believe 10 megs a month for $25? I use 10 megs a minute at the office. Geez. At least I could get my email. And I'm sure I could have done so from the beach, where the municipal wifi would not surely have reached.