A Treo 650 / Palm TX comparison

Discussion in 'Palm' started by r0k, Apr 3, 2006.

1. r0k

r0k Dazed

The dreaded "Search Reset" and a quick and painless recovery.

Back on my TX, which is lying about 2 feet from me collecting dust lately :(, I once had a problem where tapping "search" resulted in a prompt soft reset. Solving this with Palm support involved hard resets and painstaking restores. Then there was the delete and reinstall docs 2 go.

Luckily, I'm using a different method of installing questionably stable apps these days. Nowadays I drop em on sd card and create zl or powerrun shortcuts. They don't mess with global find and they don't cause resets even if they aren't that stable. This allows me to use a "caution to the wind" approach to apps. This is especially true since I have close to 6 meg free at all times. This approach has served me well until this weekend when the search-reset crept back in. Since I have plenty of room in internal NVFS, I figured I could drop a few hundred K of apps in there. Wrong answer.

What did I install recently? Well there was 4cast. I had sent it to trash in ZL but it was still sitting in internal memory. Why internal? So I could use it's ZL plugin. Well, 4cast bit the dust.

But unfortunately it wasn't the culprit.

That left pilotdb and some freeware journal app. This time, I decided I didn't want to simply delete them so I copied them to card and then deleted them from internal memory. Now my device is stable again. Thank God. I will have to go back to strict installation on sd card and shortcuts to new apps. I really don't need instability on a device that is both my phone and my pda.

So I guess we can add either pilotdb (freeware) or DESjournal to the suspected buggy apps on NVFS devices. Right now, I'm not up to testing to see which one and I'm glad I didn't have to resort to a hard reset and app by app restore. I'm hoping Frankengarnet is near getting replaced by something that is a little more resistant to badly behaved apps. For now, ZL and Powerrun continue to save the day :)

2. r0k

r0k Dazed

Is it time for an update already?

A new first: A reset during Resco Backup.

Yesterday, DB talked me into putting snap on my device to take screenshots of my ZL screen. This morning at 5 am I was awakened by a Treo 650 that refused to go back to sleep. It turns out Resco Backup uses the "Alert" mechanism as the cell phone to let you know there has been a reset overnight. It suggested I "lock risky apps" and the error message pointed to snap. When I went to "lock risky apps" versamail was all over like a rash, but snap wasn't even highlighted. I went in and used Resco Locker to lock Snap and hopefully I will not be bothered by this again. I manually ran an incremental backup and it finished just fine but it didn't update the log. I guess the log is only updated for unattended backups.

Here is the somewhat incoherent log entry...

... I guess I'll head on over to Resco forums and bring this cryptic wording to their attention when I get a chance.

3. r0k

r0k Dazed

A new Boxwave screen protector and matching stylus make my device a pleasure to use! It's nice to always have a pen with me when my Treo 650 is along simply by popping the end off the stylus. I've lost count of the times I needed a pen but only had my original stylus. It was a bear getting the clarivue off, but it was showing its age and I decided to order some Boxwaves along with the stylus and save on shipping. They were at reduced price, too.

Lately I've been tempted by the 700p with its faster data service and more memory now that it's available without a camera. I will hold off for a while and see what comes along. Maybe the 755 will be available without a camera at a good price by the time I'm ready to make my move.

4. philpalm

philpalm Mobile Deity

Gee I am usually the last person to catch up on trends. However unlike in the first post of this thread, for the price of a $50 rebate I get a Treo 650 (sprint with camera).

Both TX and Treo 650 can use the Versamail update but having a Treo 650 makes me try tethering via bluetooth more of an urgency.

Converting from a TX to a Treo 650, graffiti anywhere is a must. However having a real keyboard may give me practice for a Pre when it drops down in price or comes out as an EOS model.

The person who sold me the Treo 650 says that they are popular with the Hollywood crowd, even though the new Pre has come out! You can use the Treo without a data plan while other smart phones require that you obtain a data plan.

5. lelisa13p

lelisa13p Your Super Moderator Super Moderator

Good deal for you. :newpalm:

It was a shock to see a new post in a 2.25 year old thread, however. :eek: ;)

6. philpalm

philpalm Mobile Deity

I see Palm still supports those who move from other Palm devices to a Treo 650:
    http://kb.palm.com/wps/portal/kb/common/article/14403_en.html
    I played Legacy yesterday and Real Player played a few MP3 that I put on a SD card for testing. I will have to debate on either getting the smaller earphone plug or getting a bluetooth headphones.

It is great to have another camera and my first camera/video palm device. Previously I got a Palm Z71, a TJ-37 and Th-55 camera only devices. Filming stuff will add more to my blog that I participate in.

Meanwhile I am indexing stuff in this OT (original thread) before going over to Treo Central...The main complaint I have is that stupid blinking green l.e.d. that won't turn off. The seller promised me that the battery would last at least an hour and if not I could get another. Unfortunately none of my old styluses fit a Treo....http://forum.brighthand.com/images/icons/icon9.gif

7. r0k

r0k Dazed

Wow. Now here's an old thread :D.

The 650 is still a viable device for those who don't mind small memory footprint and slow data speed. You mention the blinking LED. By all means, it's better to have a blinking LED than no LED (TX). I found the 650 battery life to be ok (from what I remember) because I rarely used the data feature as I felt it was too slow to be of practical use.

I'm using a Blackberry 8830 now. I tried upgrading from 650 to 755p but alas Verizon had messed up the 755p software so badly it was almost as useless as the 700p. They have since dropped the 755p and only offer the Centro and hopefully in early 2010 they will offer the Pre.

When the Pre comes out for Verizon, it will be my big chance to come back to Palm. Since email and battery life are priorities for me right now, my BB 8830 is a very good fit. These 2 items will have to be working well for me to consider the Pre.

But to return to the original topic, the 650 makes a viable upgrade path from the TX if you don't mind losing memory footprint (128 meg down to less than 32 meg) and if you don't mind losing wifi.

Even now, I still miss my wifi, but the data speeds on the BB 8830 make me miss it a lot less. Sadly, the data speed I had on the 755p was only slightly better than my old Treo 650 and a lot worse than my current BB.

What's that you said about a stylus? Stylus? What's that? :eek: I never thought I'd learn to love the trackball, but I did. It's nice to never need to hold a device in one hand while poking at the screen with the other hand.