A Treo 650 / Palm TX comparison

Discussion in 'Palm' started by r0k, Apr 3, 2006.

1. r0k

r0k Dazed

I was an early adopter of the TX, purchasing one on DAY ONE. I was not an early adopter of the Treo 650 for several reasons:

1 - I did not believe a combined phone/pda would be a good value. Phones become obsolete very quickly and so do pda's.

2 - I was in the middle of a 2 year contract and didn't want to extend it

3 - the cost of the Treo was a lot more than the TX

4 - I wanted wifi so I could install things right over the network and wifi hotsync.

5 - I was looking for a laptop replacement and knew the tiny Treo screen would hinder that possibility.

Now I have gone out and purchased a Treo 650 minus the camera directly from Verizon wireless for about $270 with a $50 rebate still pending. I am unsure it can really replace my TX for performance reasons, but it might just edge my TX out of it's home in my shirt pocket for form-factor reasons.

Let me explain.

I have been carrying a pda in my shirt pocket and a phone on my belt for years now. I have hated just about every phone because I must stick to camera-free models and they are older and poorly designed. I have had a TT, then a T3, then a TX and have been delighted with my pda's. The two compelling reasons for my upgrade to a TX were battery life and wifi. Now that I have a Treo 650, I have an option for connectivity that might just prove as good as wifi and might be free (to me) if I choose a "bundled" voice/data plan. I would lose 150 minutes but pick up unlimited data. A fair trade in my book but the jury is still out. I still view my Treo as a phone and my TX exile from my shirt pocket as temporary. Only time will tell.

I have already been through the painful adoption of NVFS so moving all my necessary apps over from the TX was very easy. I just bluetooth'd them over or hotsynced them over. For now, at least I'm walking around with just the Treo and I'm leaving the TX on the desk. I will reply to this post once I've had more time with the device.

Here are some early observations:

1 - Treo 650 screen size: no problem. I wear prescription reading glasses.

2 - graffiti: goodbye and good riddance. I will find a way to make an underscore somehow without bringing graffiti onto my Treo.

3 - memory: feels a little cramped after walking around with 128 meg, but my 2 gig SD card makes me feel a lot less cramped.

4 - form factor: it's nice to lose that bulky phone from my belt and have only one device in my shirt pocket that really seems to be able to do everything I need during my business day.

5 - handsfree: the Treo works just fine with Chrysler Uconnect and being able to take an incoming call by touching a button on my rearvew mirror rather than digging for a phone on my belt is wonderful. Yes, a bluetooth phone would have solved this, but head on over to Verizon and see if you can find any bluetooth phones without a camera besides Treo 650, Pocket PC and Blackberry. As a palm user this was my only viable choice. I would have LOVED to get a Nokia phone with no camera which supported bluetooth handsfree but there was no such option.

6 - apps: so far, every app I really need works just fine on the Treo. I haven't tried tcpmp, but I rarely watch movies or listen to music on my TX either.

My pda usage centers on the things Palm does best: Contacts, Calendar, Memos and Todos (i don't use todo's very much). There is one down-side with the Treo. With the TX, I can use the 5-way rocker to pick letters and find contacts. With the Treo, I must type in letters to find contacts. Now that I've had a TX, I wish the treo contacts application supported looking up contacts WITH ONLY THE 5 WAY. Not really such a big deal. It's just easier to work the rocker one-handed than it is to actually hit qwerty keys one-handed.

Bottom Line: Can a Treo 650 replace a TX? As a pda, YES! Is a Treo 650 a good phone? YES! It performs as well as any cell phone I've tried and I've tried phones from Motorola, Nokia and more. If you absolutely care about screen size or wifi, then the answer is no, a Treo 650 doesn't quite replace a TX. For me, I might just be passing my TX to my son in a month or so...

...This thread will live at BH->Palm->Treo 650, but will be linked from BH->Palm->TX and from Treonauts...

2. BAB2000

BAB2000 An "Olde Moderator" #2 Super Moderator

what area of Michigan?
    I am in Northern Indiana and Verizon has a very strong presence here, with very good quality of both voice and data, but have found spotty in some areas of Michigan ,(South Central and Western areas).

I was not aware Verizon offered treo650 minus camera, will need to investigate this as an option for next renewal.

3. Streaky

Streaky I can't remember

Interesting observations, r0k. I have always approached this from the angle that if I want to talk to someone on my phone and look something up or jot down a message at the same time I can't with a Smartphone. Furthermore, I am so glad to be shot of the earlier Palm small screens that I couldn't go back to a 320x320. I am also much happier with a phone that has no aerial sticking out of the top.

I realise that BT means that the former "problem" isn't really there anymore if the headset is used (I presume you can make a call and use other bits of the Palm at the same time?). However, the other two are. With mobile phones being so light nowadays, and BT-enabled, my SE K700i rarely sees the light of day unless I'm actually talking on it (having received a call or initiated one via my T5).

I've tickled your rep (who, again, looks pretty pleased) as this is a useful comparison for me.

4. minimalposter

minimalposter some call me ... mp

Good post r0k. I have some similar feelings as everyone (smaller screen, tied to a cellular company, phone and PDA usuage at the same time .....). Still I feel the pull towards a Treo eventually. Maybe it is the fact that I use my palm mainly for my PIMs (as opposed to movies or e-books) and the screen size is not as important.

Just as a repeat in case you missed it: SIZE is NOT important!!! Thank you ;)

5. r0k

r0k Dazed

bab2000 wrote:
    Detroit area. My Treo did not work at all in southeast Ohio, but neither did my driving companion's digital phone (not sure of brand but he was on cingular). I don't care about the mountains of southeast ohio / west virgina as much as I do about Michigan and northern indiana, northern ohio, northern illinois and eastern wisconsin. My verizon coverage in Michigan has been fine with previous digital-only phones. I will need to find an excuse to get around some more before knowing for sure that the Treo works as well in other areas.

The good news is this:

Keep one old tri-mode phone around. Verizon is rumored to be offering a "two phones one line" feature in the future. You can keep the analog phone in the glove box and still enjoy the digital phones for the other 99.999 percent of your cell phone usage :). Of course, I'm sure they will tell you to switch one off 5 minutes before turning the other one on, but that's no big sacrifice in my book.

6. Streaky

Streaky I can't remember

<Streaky thinks that MP must have been told that so often he now believes it to be true.>

7. r0k

r0k Dazed

But it IS true, if you have the right (reading) glasses...

...but not so true when it comes to stylii. The feel of the Treo 650 stylus is rather flimsy after the T3 and the TX which are much more robust. The Treo 650 stylus feels rather like a toothpick. This is the first time I have actually considered buying a spare stylus just in case I might LOSE the one that came with my pda...

edit: added photo showing treo 650 stylus above tx (boxwave) stylus.

Attached Files:

8. minimalposter

minimalposter some call me ... mp

Well, when it comes to that issue I am a half glass full type of guy -- or maybe just a 1/3 glass full :rolleyes:

9. Nine

Nine Ooh NO, missus...

<Nine is awfully impressed by this and wonders what sort of dietary supplements Minimalposter is taking> :rolleyes:

10. ward.smith

ward.smith OldSurfDog

rOk,
    Thanks for starting this thread. I am seriously considering a Treo for my next phone and would enjoy only having one device at a time in my possession. At this point, I can not imagine giving up my Tx as I use spreadsheets, run a financial app, listen to music, read the occassional book, occasionally watch vids with tcpmp, and now (thanks to a Tx thread last week) use NoviRemote Deluxe3.3. How does NRD work on your Treo?
    Take care.