a tiny phone to keep you away from your phone

Discussion in 'Android OS' started by scjjtt, Oct 15, 2018.

1. Hook

Hook Phone Killer ;-) Arrrrr...f

Oh, my space ghost phone! :vbgrin: Of course, he had buttons. :vbrolleyes:

2. jigwashere

jigwashere Life is a circus!

From what I can tell, it's a second, smaller phone, not a device tethered to the first phone. When I go to work, I bring my big ol' smartphone with me so I can be productive. But, when I got out at night, I need something that'll fit the pocket of my skinny jeans. Same phone number, just different device, and I don't need to bother with swapping SIM cards and/or activating something. The only other option for people to do something like this in the past would have been to activate 2 phones - one larger and the other smaller - and connect them with a service like Google Voice. Unfortunately, that would require two phone plans.

3. Hook

Hook Phone Killer ;-) Arrrrr...f

For $350, I'll just stick with Hookette in her Zerolemon Bustle. She wants a night out too. :vbwink:

4. jigwashere

jigwashere Life is a circus!

I suspect most people would agree with you. I don't think I'll invest in Palm.

Sent from my moto g(6) using Tapatalk

5. lelisa13p

lelisa13p Your Super Moderator Super Moderator

I guess I didn't understand that tethering/non-tethering factor. Still... $350!!! :vbeek:

6. scjjtt

scjjtt A Former Palm User

I definitely agree on the price as I write on my $89 refurbished LG G4...

A phone like that would not only be nice to use when you'd go out at night but also when you went to the gym or out for a run. IMHO it is silly seeing most of these phablets attached to someone's arm while exercising.

I'd like a smaller phone to carry all the time if my tethering wasn't restricted. My Samsung Epic 4G was the perfect size (4'') except for it's thickness (by having a keyboard). I usually have a tablet with me if I want to do anything that requires a larger screen.

I guess I'll just have to wait until the price drops & it is available on T-Mobile. I have a funny feeling that my waiting & the product will have the same result as getting an HP Pre 3 - it never happened.

Sent from my LG G4 using Tapatalk

lelisa13p, Hook, raspabalsa and 2 others like this.
  7. Mi An

Mi An Nexus Refugee

I empathize with a lot of that, and admire the pricetag on your G4 :newpalm:. Before giving up and buying the largest phone that existed (aptly codenamed shamu), I used to wish for a small phone as 3.5-4" disappeared. I thought the HP Veer was the most delightful of the webos phones, though I've spent far more time fascinated by Samsung's android flip phones they only sell in the far east. Honestly, if they're good enough for Jackie Chan, who aren't they good enough for?

samsung-galaxy-folder-flip-phone-jackie-chan-2-650x0.png

8. raspabalsa

raspabalsa Brain stuck BogoMipping

I kind of get the concept, and I think it could be useful under certain circumstances, but for the price and carrier-exclusiveness. I guess it must be CDMA to ensure it will work with the same phone number as the primary phone.

I've used a similar scheme, with my primary 5"+ device and my tiny 4" LG Optimus L7 . Having to swap simcards is a PITA, but my main gripes with this scheme have been getting used to a small screen, an underpowered device (compared to the main one), and ensuring data is synced when swapping devices. With this Palm phone do Whatsapp messages remain synced automatically and transparently between both devices?

I vote for a flip phone too. At such a small size, it should flip :D

9. z22 2006 User

z22 2006 User BHOT's Own Fluffy

I was kinda hoping the phone would actually be a phone; this both is and isn't. I think I'll go through with my plan to get a $125-150 Blackberry Keyone instead.

scjjtt, Hook, lelisa13p and 1 other person like this.
  10. Mi An

Mi An Nexus Refugee

Sounds like a nice price for a keyone. IMO the snapdragon 625 has held up really well. I still see it pop up sometimes in newish fringe phones (like the yota 3). None of its successors has been as efficient as far as I can tell, so if you like battery life... I really hope there's a 10nm version of it someday that aims for that performance/efficiency sweet spot. I thought the 625 was a herald of things to come, but it appears to have been a fortunate accident.