A question about area codes and local numbers

Discussion in 'General Smartphone/Handheld/Wearable Discussion' started by headcronie, Apr 24, 2020.

1. headcronie

headcronie Greyscale. Nuff Said. Super Moderator

Nobody's an idiot around here. Can't say that any of us were ever told explicitly how to dial a number by the carrier, etc. It is just one of those things where you do what works. My situation changed, which is what prompted those foggy early morning musings. We've all learned a bunch today! :D

2. jigwashere

jigwashere Mobile Deity

It's a little bit of the wild West out there since Ma Bell died. Dialing rules seem to vary by region and carrier as well as over time. For example, I think Verizon requires 10-digit dialing.

Sent from my Moto G (5) Plus using Tapatalk

lelisa13p, scjjtt, Hook and 1 other person like this.
  3. questionfear

questionfear Google'd.

I didn't even know you COULD still dial without an area code-I'm 95% sure you cannot in NJ or MA, the two places I've lived, so I've never considered it.

The best was the brief period of time when you had to dial 9 to get an outside line at the office...so you'd dial 9, then 1+area code...you can imagine how many angry emails we would get from management about people accidentally dialing 911 before they hastily altered that feature.

lelisa13p, scjjtt, Hook and 3 others like this.
  4. headcronie

I'm so glad to see that understanding of how you should dial and how you can dial varies person by person. We've all been happily dialing as works best, unknowing that there are other ways. This gives me good pause and a good laugh too. I'm glad I'm not the only one!

And yes, dialing 9+1 is just asking for trouble. We've still gotta punch 9 to get an outside line... But our system makes it so that you have to do 9+911 to place that call. A bit more protection.

lelisa13p, scjjtt, Hook and 2 others like this.
  5. jigwashere

jigwashere Mobile Deity

The first 9-1-1 call was in Alabama in 1968. It was first implemented in Chicago in 1976, but didn't get out to some suburbs until 1989. We joked that it took so long because it required so much effort to teach people where the '11' was on the dial. ;)

lelisa13p, scjjtt, headcronie and 2 others like this.
  6. lelisa13p

lelisa13p Your Super Moderator Super Moderator

(TL;DR yet :vbwink: ) I've always experienced the need to dial 10-digit numbers no matter what. Area codes are always included, whether automatically dialed by using Contacts info or manually entered via phone keypad.

7. EdmundDantes

EdmundDantes Mobile Deity

I'm late to this, but when they added additional area codes (which I hated), we began having to include the area code even if it was treated as a local call. I remember my father told me to stop dialing 1+ the area code because then it was being treated as a long distance call. There was also the era of dialing extra prefixes to save on long distance. For example, for a time, there was an extra code that made calls to NY a local call from NJ, using a dedicated line of some kind. It was something like 10-10-NJ (using the numerical keypad equivalents).

I am curious, maybe I'm reading this incorrectly, but Jig does not have to dial the 10-digits for numbers including 507 and 651 areas, but HC, you do with a phone originating with a 507 area code? That seems a bit strange. You'd figure there'd be reciprocity.

scjjtt likes this.
  8. headcronie

Think you're misreading that, Edmund. What I mean to say is
    • I don't have to dial a 10 digit number to reach someone within 507, using my 507 number while physically located in the 651 locality.
    • I do have to dial a 10 digit number to reach a 651 number, from my 507 number, while physically located in the 651 calling area.
    What surprised most people was that you could even dial a 7 digit number. I had never realized so many people dialed 10 digit numbers to place their calls. I never needed to, as almost all my calls were within the 507 area when I lived there.

My question was also wondering if I could dial a 7 digit 651 number since I was sitting within the 651 exchange physically. It makes sense now that I can't, as any 7 digit number will only be local to 507, no matter where in the US I'm calling from.

Jig does not have to dial a 10 digit number from his 651 area code to reach another 651 number. He has just done so out of habit, which works just fine. If he wants to dial a 507 number, he would have to dial the full 10 digit number including 507.

Hope that makes better sense. :)

Last edited: Apr 29, 2020
    RickAgresta and scjjtt like this.
  9. Tom LaPrise

Tom LaPrise Absent-Minded Professor

I miss the days when, in some smaller towns and college campuses, you could just dial the last 5 digits. (We didn't have mobile phones back then, of course, and fax machines were for business and government offices.)

10. lelisa13p

lelisa13p Your Super Moderator Super Moderator

Yes, this! As a girl visiting my Granny in a smaller town than mine, to call anyone else in her town you dialed 3 digits. Granny's phone number, for her neighbors, was 227. :vbsmile:

RickAgresta, headcronie and scjjtt like this.