A question about area codes and local numbers

Discussion in 'General Smartphone/Handheld/Wearable Discussion' started by headcronie, Apr 24, 2020.

1. headcronie

headcronie Greyscale. Nuff Said. Super Moderator

This probably should make sense, but I might be needing some coffee this morning. *yawn*

I don't travel a heck of a lot. When I do, I don't make many calls. So I've never much paid attention to this aspect of calling. I suspect this is the case, but just wanted to confirm. I wasn't sure how to google this question, as I didn't know how to phrase it to get viable answers.

I moved out of my area code, took my number with me. I lived and called in area code 507. I could just dial the 7 digit number and be connected, as expected.

I now live in... good grief... where do I live in... ah, there it is. I live in 651 area code now. Does the fact that I'm calling and utilizing phone exchanges in 651 mean that I can dial the 7 digit number as local with my 507 number? I'm thinking not, as the only 'local' numbers would be tied to 507 and has no bearing on where you physically are.

I suppose it is always best to just attach the area code to the number. Should I ever get a new number, all contacts that were local to the previous number would no longer be, and I would end up having to modify each one anyway.

Maybe I just answered my own question... I don't drink coffee... but maybe I should start. :p

So endeth the sleepy musings of HC. :)

lelisa13p and jigwashere like this.
  2. scjjtt

scjjtt A Former Palm User

HC - I wish I could help. Years ago I read that you have to have the area code in, even if you are calling a same area code number, when you are out of your area code, so I got in the habit of adding area codes for all numbers.

Now that I had my second drink of my coffee, if the above advice is true, that just might be your answer.

Back to the coffee...

Sent from my Samsung Galaxy Tab A (10.1") /128GB using Tapatalk

3. raspabalsa

raspabalsa Brain stuck BogoMipping

I do travel a lot, and face the same problem. I usually save my most used numbers in every format needed. Example, if Mrs R's Colombian number is ##########, then I save it as such, but also as +57 ########## so WhatsApp picks it when I'm abroad, and also as 00 57 ########## to dial it from Ecuador and Perú, and as 0010 57 ########## to dial it from Bolivia. My kids' number is saved as ######### to dial when in Ecuador, +593 ########## for whatsapp, 00 444 593 ########## to dial from Colombia, 00 57 ########## to dial from Perú, and 0010 593 ########## to dial from Bolivia. When I want to call any of them, I just remember where I am and pick the corresponding number.

Some carriers make it very complicated, and have varying local codes even within the country. This doesn't happen with Claro in Ecuador, Perú, or Colombia, but does happen with Entel in Bolivia. I have to know in what city I am and to what city I'm calling to add the proper preffixes. It's a PITA, and that's why I seldom use my Bolivian line for calls.

4. Hook

Hook Professional Daydreamer

I'm assuming we are talking "landline" here (even if it is actually a VOIP connection from your cable company) since you always dial the area code on a cellphone. If so, in my experience, dialing without the area code only works in the area code you are in and sometimes not even all of that-- in my experience you can only do that with numbers that are truly local, your local set of exchanges (the first three numbers after the area code) while the area code may cover many communities.

5. headcronie

Nope, we're talking about cellphone. I'd made habit of just storing 7 digit local numbers on my phone. I wasn't thinking about moving, ever. So now I'm having to double back and check my thinking and process. It won't be hard for me to update the numbers. Just more so checking my logic and understanding of it all. 507 covers a very large swath of Minnesota, but I never called much outside of my city. Just one of those things you never think about, until all of a sudden you have to. :)

Thanks for all the info, everyone! I appreciate it. :)

6. jigwashere

jigwashere Mobile Deity

In the US, I always dial the 10-digit phone number out of habit. Actually, I have a shortcut on my phone screen, so I rarely dial.

I don't know the answer and I think it might vary somewhat by community. I just dialed my work number from my cell phone using only 7 digits. It's in the local area code.

lelisa13p, Hook, scjjtt and 1 other person like this.
  7. jigwashere

jigwashere Mobile Deity

I just did a little googling around. Some areas require 10 digits, even if you're in the same area code. You can go to the North American Numbering Plan Administrator's website and there's a list of area codes that require 10-digits: Area Codes Requiring 10 Digit Dialing. If you're calling from one of these area codes to a number in the same area code, you still need 10 digits.

Area codes near me aren't on the list: 612, 651, 507, 763. That means that as long as you're dialing a number within your area, you only need 7 digits.

Apparently you also need to put a 1 before toll calls. That makes sense. What's weird, though, is that I think there are some toll calls w/in the same area code! I have a vague recollection this was the case in Chicago. Even if you were calling w/in your area code, and you could dial 7 digits, you still needed to put a 1 in front!

At least....I think. :confused:

EDIT: Here's an interesting read, especially under 'Telephone dialing system': https://www.immihelp.com/using-telephones-in-usa/

Last edited: Apr 24, 2020
    lelisa13p, raspabalsa, Hook and 2 others like this.
  8. headcronie

Didn't think that. Thanks Jig!

I just called my office phone back in Rochester using just the 7 digit number. Connected without issue.

Confirmed - Calling 7 digit number from the area code and exchange local to your area code, regardless of where you are physically should work. You need to call area code for numbers outside your exchange and area code, even if you are physically in that area code. So for all 651, 612, 952, etc, I need to key in the area code. It makes sense now that the sun is up, and my eyes are actually open.

:D

Edit: Jig's info negates my statement. If you live in an area code specified in Jig's post, you have to dial 10 digit even for local calls. Take Jig's advice, not mine.

9. headcronie

Ooh, even more info. Thanks Jig! :)

10. Hook

Hook Professional Daydreamer

Well, blow me down-- I guess I just never tried doing a call with a cell phone without an area code. Somewhere I got it into my head that you had to do area code with cell phones. Now don't even know where that came from-- maybe it was just that I used to travel so much for work. Boy, do I feel like an idiot. :vbrolleyes: