A Pox on Thee, DST!

Discussion in 'Off Topic' started by lelisa13p, Mar 11, 2012.

1. JRakes

JRakes NOT your Average Joe

It's cold. :D

2. RickAgresta

RickAgresta General Peanut, leader of the Peanutty Forces

Thank-you both; a great way to start a Moanday :newpalm:
    EDIT: you forgot: "Loose, not bagged?" :rolleyes:

3. r0k

r0k Dazed

DST is designed to sell clocks. If it wasn't for DST, we would never have to touch the things. We have one of those radio based "atomic" clocks in our kitchen. You would think the thing would be right but no, it was purchased before the most recent "DST date changes" so it's an hour slow until... is it the second week of April? What a pain.

Then there's the physiological issues. I like daylight. I prefer daylight in the evening when I get home from work so I look forward to DST. But I don't look forward to the differences in DST start and end dates depending on region, what I don't look forward to is the hassle of resetting clocks twice a year so I don't think I'd mind permanent DST one little bit. Yes the kids would be catching the school bus in the dark but that's what street lights are for. Let's kill this twice a year chance to fall out of sync with the rest of the human race (and our own bodies) by one hour and adopt DST once and for all.

4. Hook

Hook Helga in Disguise!

I was actually pleasantly surprised to see that my New Samsung did the time conversion itself, no muss no fuss. I was surprised just because it doesn't have a cell radio. Sure, my TX could do it, as long as it had the patch with the right DST data in it. I'm assuming the Samsung uses the wifi network to query the proper time form somewhere the same way my computer does, but I have no idea. Maybe the Koreans keep up with our ever changing DST dates. ;)

5. jigwashere

jigwashere Mobile Deity

I have my Nook Colors set to auto update via WiFi, so that was no problem. I need to check the time setting on our TVs and digital converter boxes at some point, but no hurry. I updated the clock in my Ranger, but haven't gotten around to my wife's Caravan, yet. My wife goofed up her automatic settings on her iPhone when she changed time zones on her last trip, so I had to change it back to auto and power-cycle it. Stove and microwave oven clocks are corrected. My alarm clock (why do I still have that stupid thing?) took a few seconds to adjust. Over time, I'll come across a few other forgotten time pieces that don't change automagically. ...and then I'll take care of my in-laws. Let's see. They have a stove, microwave, coffeemaker, car, wristwatches, bedside alarm clock, VCR that will need adjusting.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

6. JRakes

JRakes NOT your Average Joe

Most electronic devices today auto-adjust - I don't have a lot of clock resetting to do. Wrist watches, kitchen appliances (although there are more of those with clocks than you realize until...)

But I agree: It would be easier to simply stick with one setup or the other. The physiological disturbance seems, to me, to be inordinately difficult for such a perceived "minor" change. I could certainly go w/ a permanent shift to DST!

From what little I've read, the origins of DST stem from when our economy was primarily agricutural. Never fully understood that, though - Just get up earlier or later. The net effect, mentally and physically, is the same. More recent arguments involve children waiting on school buses and such, but that seems silly, as well, at least to me.

As others have said, it's not one setting vs another (i.e. standard vs daylight savings time) that annoys me, it's the semi-annual change. And what's with that name anyway? As far as I can tell, adjusting clocks never produced any "saving" of daylight - The hours are what they are. OTOH, I suppose "Daylight Shifting Time" doesn't have quite the marketing ring to it as something suggesting "saving." But I suppose that's just me... :D

RickAgresta likes this.
  7. RickAgresta

RickAgresta General Peanut, leader of the Peanutty Forces

I believe that by not sleeping during an hour of daylight, that you're then saving it...my 2¢ <winks>

8. SGosnell

SGosnell (retired) Palm Pilot

My sleep schedule has been changing weekly for years, so it's not a big deal for me. Most of the clocks need to be adjusted to the correct time anyway, so it's a good excuse to do that. I have some watches that I seldom use, and I just leave those on DST most of the time. Standard time doesn't last long enough to make it worthwhile. I do agree that it would be much easier on everyone to just stay on DST year-round, though.

9. Adama D. Brown

Adama D. Brown Brighthand Reviewer

I'll have to confess, I didn't even notice DST until mid-afternoon--probably because my biological clock is so screwed up lately. I've been waking up at 3 or 4 in the morning and uncontrollably passing out at 10 or 11 PM. This from someone who is usually on Vampire Standard Time.

10. Q-Eye

Q-Eye Once lost, now found...

Simple solution - Move to Arizona. We don't bother with such silly things as DST.

Of course there are little ironies such as the new automated clocks that reset for DST automatically. They weren't made for Arizona and dutifully reset themselves to the wrong time.

RickAgresta likes this.