A New Palm Foleo or Motorola Atrix notebook

Discussion in 'Headline News' started by scjjtt, Nov 11, 2019.

1. raspabalsa

raspabalsa Brain stuck BogoMipping

I'm able to cast from my phone to the computer (or any other device on the network) using Bubble UPNP. It can cast to most devices in the LAN (Chromecast, Smart TVs, Xbox, WD Media Player, etc) including Windows PCs. Under Windows, I can access the media on my phone via Windows Media Player or VLC.

scjjtt, RickAgresta and jigwashere like this.
  2. headcronie

headcronie Greyscale. Nuff Said. Super Moderator

Ahh. I remember when that was more visible within AirDroid. I have not rooted since my Note4. USB cable is annoying but not end of the world. Debugging mode is a security vulnerability that I don't want to enable. Thanks for the extra footwork though. :)

Sent from my Samsung Galaxy Note 8 using Tapatalk

3. jigwashere

jigwashere Life is a circus!

4. scjjtt

scjjtt A Former Palm User

I would, could have interest in such a product. Almost all the work I do could be done on my phone, especially since I have mostly left Microsoft software for Google years ago. Although I could do most of my work on my phone, I don't want to because of the small screen. I should be wearing reading glasses, but most of the time I don't (although I do have them on right now typing on my BT Keyboard that was made by HP to be used with the HP TouchPad - it's a nice keyboard).

Since I don't want to do work on a small screen, I carry my tablet with me to read, do work on and to watch media. When I need to use something that requires Windows, I use the app, "Remote Desktop" to connect to a computer at home or at my office. I have noticed that doing so with my new tablet (Samsung Galaxy Tab A (10.1") /128GB) that the display is so much better than using my previous tablet or my old Chromebook to remote into a computer. The resolution of my new tablet is so much better than my previous tablet or Chromebook and so the screen looks like I'm right in front of my distant desktops.

As it has been stated earlier, often our phones have better resolution, RAM and processing power than a tablet. With that being said, and if I can get a device 1/2 of the price of my tablet - which was more than 1/2 the price of Samsung's better tablets, then this device could be a real option for me.

Yes, connecting via a chord is a real disappointment. I have BT keyboards on my desk at home and at the office and always carry one in my Samsung lite laptop carry case so I can type instead of using Graffiti to write. I suppose I could connect via a chord but I wish it would connect via BT.

Another benefit of having a device like this - I don't have to worry about another device becoming too old and not getting updates - I would only have to keep my phones current. As many of you know, my phone is way past updates as well as one of the very first Chromebooks that came out that I bought.

This could work for me - maybe I just need some encouragement to be an invester. There are only 5 left at the price of $169 - that's cheaper than my Chromebook I bought 5 years ago at $199. Come to think of it, it was 5 years ago around this time I bought my Chromebook and told Mrs scjjtt that she didn't have to get me anything for Christmas. It worked then (and I meant it) - surely it could work again - right?

Sent from my Samsung Galaxy Tab A (10.1") /128GB using Tapatalk

Hook and jigwashere like this.
  5. raspabalsa

raspabalsa Brain stuck BogoMipping

I'm not sure either. It looks like a standalone device that can be mated with a phone. Not sure how convenient it is to have twice the storage, if one half is only available while the devices are mated. IMO it would be much more interesting if it had built-in HDMI and LAN ports, instead of offering them on a future accessory. But the dual screen concept is nice, especially since it's much more safer than foldable screens. I've been considering LG's dual screen, except that I'd have to purchase the LG G8X phone first.

Hook, jigwashere and scjjtt like this.
  6. Daniel L

Daniel L Mobile Enthusiast

My galaxy tab s5e comes with dex. i bought a dex hdmi cable and bluetooth mouse on amazon. i plug it into my monitor and bam, desktop experience.

the keyboard i got for the hp touchpad from long ago is still alive and kicking with the same battery from 2011, so i use that with the tablet in that configuration.

i have multiple windows open, alt=tab, etc.

i don't use it that way very often but, it's there when i need it. mostly, though, i use the keyboard attached to the flip case. it sits like a laptop in that way and i find it useful for my purposes. it was a cheap device too.

my tablet is mostly for flight planning and navigation. until i get my pda it'll be my main mobile device.

the atrix looks badass tho

Sent from my SM-T720 using Tapatalk

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 15, 2019
    Hook and scjjtt like this.
  7. jigwashere

jigwashere Life is a circus!

scrcpy sounds like a better solution than AirDroid, but still requires USB cable and USB Debugging. How to Mirror and Control Your Android Phone on Any Windows PC - How-To Geek