A New Palm Foleo or Motorola Atrix notebook

Discussion in 'Headline News' started by scjjtt, Nov 11, 2019.

1. scjjtt

scjjtt A Former Palm User

I use to think I would like a Foleo or the Atrix & notebook - and something like that would be tempting now. I don't think I would interested now because I can work from my phone, then to go to my Chromebook and then to go to my tablet without missing a beat on whatever I'm working on. I guess, if I wasn't working with Google suite and if I didn't have internet everywhere, then this concept could work.

Of course I would be tempted just because it is another gadget, but as inexpensive tablets and chromebooks are - I can use them without tying up my phone.

https://newatlas.com/sponsored-content/phonebook-phone-laptop/

Palm Foleo Promo Video

Motorola Atrix Promo Video

Sent from my Samsung Galaxy Tab A (10.1") /128GB using Tapatalk

2. headcronie

headcronie Greyscale. Nuff Said. Super Moderator

Of all things, I miss DataViz Documents to Go. That was pretty dang neat for its time!

I still don't want a companion device. I just want to push a setting on my phone, and have my trusted computing device be able to instantly have full control over my device, mirror the screen in landscape mode, open and control apps using a mouse, and be done. Nothing extra to lug.

3. RickAgresta

RickAgresta Peanut, leader of the Peanutty Forces

I still use DTG, for personal things, like repeat menu orders from local take-out places, etc.

As for your 2nd paragraph, I can do that with my TV, using the dongle that Google sells, Chromecast. hth, RA

scjjtt, headcronie and jigwashere like this.
  4. raspabalsa

raspabalsa Brain stuck BogoMipping

I'm not sure I ever got the idea behind the Foleo. Was it intended just as a second screen for the main Palm device? Was it usable as a stand-alone device? I'm not sure I want my phone controlling my laptop and viceversa. I've tried both schemes and don't find them useful for me. I'm able to leave work on one device and continue on the other thanks to Google Drive and its apps. Of course this scheme falls apart if I'm offline, but that's an ever more rare occurrence. I'm very disappointed that iOS doesn't fully integrate Google Drive, meaning I can't seamlessly work on my cloud files on my iPad. As it is, I can alternate work between my work laptop, my G6, and my home laptop. Wish I could do some MS Office work on the iPad too.

DTG was a great suite. I purchased the Android version soon after getting my first Android device, but it was nowhere nearly as useful as the Palm one. I now use MS and Google office suites on my devices. Another great app under Palm was powerOne Graph calculator. I still consider it superior to any calc app I've tried on Android.

I have a couple of Chromecast devices. They work very well, and there's plenty of apps that integrate streaming over them. Actually, I had them, because I gave both away (to my sister and a co-worker) once I got my NAS and an Xbox One S console. I still use a WD Live TV Plus streambox for my main TV, and the Xbox is connected to the bedroom TV. My sister is very happy with her Chromecast, and my co-worker still thinks it's some kind of magic :D

scjjtt, headcronie and jigwashere like this.
  5. headcronie

A Chromecast mirrors a screen. It does not give control over the device being mirrored, nor does it have a keyboard or mouse counterpart to go with it. I don't want to have to carry around a keyboard or mouse just for this task. Am I missing something?

I want to push a setting on my phone, have my phone screen show up nice and big on my computer, and have full control over it from the computer.

Sent from my Samsung Galaxy Note 8 using Tapatalk

scjjtt and jigwashere like this.
  6. raspabalsa

AFAIK AirDroid can do this. I haven't played with this because as I said above I don't need or want remote control of a device. But I've used AirDroid to transfer files between PC and iPad and Android and works very well for this.

7. RickAgresta

RickAgresta Peanut, leader of the Peanutty Forces

Casting to the computer, is uncharted territory for me. As far as using a TV as a large screen, the kb & mouse would still be attached to the casting device, via USB ToGo (or whatever it's called). I don't recall if I ever hooked up peripherals to a USB hub, connected to phone and had success or not. Maybe tonight after my version of Hook's KTWCI -- Kitchen That Won't Clean Itself. (it was a gubbermint project during the Cold War; sadly, funding ran out *just* before a likely break-through) :vbgrin:

scjjtt, jigwashere and headcronie like this.
  8. headcronie

Close, but not quite. I do utilize AirDroid. It allows interaction with your device, but more-so on a file level, vs UI level. You can't flip open your email client, and craft a nicely written reply to your boss via AirDroid. :(

upload_2019-11-13_12-19-0.png

Yep, that's what I was thinking. That's extra accessories that need to be carried around. It 'works' in that sense, but then you have to either pair your BT devices, or plug in your OTG cable. I don't even have an OTG cable now, unless I convert from Micro to USB C.

My dream is still a pipe dream. :)

scjjtt, RickAgresta and jigwashere like this.
  9. EdmundDantes

EdmundDantes Mobile Deity

I loved the Atrix and Atrix 2 concepts; but they made one crucial and fatal error, which was that the laptop defaulted to a very curtailed OS rather than just displaying the phone screen in large format. I think that's because Android was in its relative infancy. Today, it's practically a full OS. It didn't help that the laptop module barely gave you a break on price, considering most of the hardware was in the phone (except for ports and the display). This was also the problem with the phones that could be turned into tablets as well.

scjjtt likes this.
  10. raspabalsa

Out of curiosity, I tried remote control on AirDroid, and it does work as advertised: from my laptop I got screen mirroring and full control of my phone, using the mouse to tap on the virtual phone screen. I was able to go to Settings and change stuff, play a movie (although audio came out of the phone only), etc. But - and this is a huge but- this only works if the phone is connected via USB cable to the laptop. Plus, since my phone is not rooted, I must enable USB degguging and go throught a couple extra steps whenever I reboot my phone. Since this requires physical connection between phone and computer, this kind of remote control is even less useful than I expected.