A New Freeware I'd like you guys to comment about

Discussion in 'Off Topic' started by axioma, Aug 14, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. axioma

axioma Newbie

Hi all,

I'm launching a new freeware called "The Axioma Searcher" which you can find in the following link - www.axioma.com/product.asp?act=6.

I think that those of you who know their way around the net now realise that if a search engine could really understand what they meant each time they searched something, everybody's life would be much easier + you save so much time...

So this application will figure your context of search, and narrow down the results for you, both very fast and easy.

It will not pore 100's of results, as the engines like to do. On the contrary, it gives you as less as possible, but all are 100% relevant!

Please check it out and send me comments & tips on how you think we can improve.

Again - it is free of charge, non intrusive (not a spyware of any kind, as the user's actions and preferences are all done locally), very easy to remove, and I can guarantee - NO ANNOYING POP UPS and such!!!

thanks

2. Ed Hardy

Ed Hardy TabletPCReview Editor Staff Member

This isn't a handheld or smartphone application, it is a Windows IE plug-in. That's why I'm moving it to the Off-topic forum.

3. RickAgresta

RickAgresta Peanut, leader of the Peanutty Forces

doing this from a TX. a non-plugin way to access (ie, via the web) would broaden your user-base

nice idea, tho

4. r0k

r0k Dazed

Doing this from a pc, a non ie plugin would be needed as I haven't used ie for years now. A firefox extension would be more useful for my needs.

5. Magellan

Magellan Moderator of Ill repute Super Moderator

I may have to try Firefox someday. I am still in IE hell. The new yahoo toolbar adds tabbed browsing, but I haven't played with it much yet.

6. r0k

r0k Dazed

The good thing about ie hell is that most web developers don't bother to validate their pages in any browser other than ie these days. The bad thing is the constant need to get the latest update from microsoft to avoid viruses, worms, and malicious sites.

For me, I choose firefox and thunderbird as are written to run as applications and not part of the os. The windows scripting host runs as "system" which is basically root. ie toolbars get root privelidges on your machine so i would never load them. firefox extensions only get to play with the web pages you are viewing. there are useful things like noscript which blocks all javascript you haven't explicitly allowed or greasemonkey which allows you to overlay your own custom javascript to make sites look like you want them to look. an example is the complaints tab for ebay feeback. Other firefox extensions include forecast fox which puts a weather icon on my browser toobar if I like.

The thing I like most about firefox is the way it loads my system. One window with tabs keeps all the computing demand in one process. directing popups to tabs doesn't allow separate processes to be spawned at inconvenient times. I normally keep about 5 or 6 apps open on my system including a couple of pigs like adobe photoshop. It is very important to have absolute control of computing demands from my browser and firefox allows me that control.

Another thing I block is macromedia. It is very invasive. Unexpected motion on my screen accompanied by sound is something I strongly dislike. For this reason, I use the firefox adblock extension to shut down macromedia flash content for most sites.

So for simplicity, ie would be a solution that guarantees every page is viewable, even if designed by a lazy web author who only bothered to test it in ie. Pages designed in frontpage are notorious for being littered with thousands of extra tags (like tbody and font settings for every paragraph) and they are notorious for being badly messed up in Netscape and Opera, but firefox renders a little more like ie and you can see most of the content if not all of it. For these reasons, and for the sake of security and control, I don't mind coming across pages every now and then that require me to do extra work to view them in firefox. And yes, about once or twice a month I must launch ie just to complete some online form that simply won't work in firefox. The important difference here is that I went to the site first in firefox, with javascript and cookies blocked and determined it was ok to use the site before going there in ie simply because firefox wouldn't let me complete some convoluted process required to make a reservation or whatever was needed.

a modified solution would be to download one of the ie based freeware browsers. ie is still running underneath but there are tabs and popup blocking, etc. the problem with this approach is that ie still has some vulnerabilities that these add-on freeware products may fail to properly address.

firefox starts off inherently more secure in that it is an add-on rather than a fundamental part of the os. you can do things to make firefox less secure, but it starts off as a page viewer with no rights to alter your filesystem except in its own browser cache directory. internet explorer starts off as a fundamental component of windows update and from day one it provides a huge potential exploitation path into your computer.

ie requires a colossal amount of work to make it secure, including updates from microsoft which might carry undesireable unneeded payloads along with the update you need for security. one such update rendered a friend's machine almost unusable for several days. another installed the windows genuine application on a friend's machine and now they are getting nags about counterfiet software despite the fact they paid an it consultant for the copies of windows they are using. now they must stop doing productive work, including trying to track down an it consultant that may now be out of business just to get their windows serial numbers straightened back out.

No thank you. This kind of surprise I cannot live with.

My pc came from Dell with win xp pro and I don't need the "windows genuine" application to tell me that my copy is legal. Because i run behind a firewall, I don't need all those microsoft hotfixes to protect me from worms. on my mac, when the hotfixes show up, they are categorized and their purpose is fully explained. I don't mind getting the apple hotfixes, but I have found that microsoft hotfixes require huge downloads, are poorly imlemented and sometimes break more than they fix.

So it's Firefox for me and ie only when absolutely necessary.

7. lelisa13p

lelisa13p Your Super Moderator Super Moderator

Why don't you try Opera today? :newpalm:

It can be configured to Identify as IE, and most web pages give me the same content that you get with IE, and with negligible risk. The only problem I've encountered is with my Bank's website, and I blame them for not recognizing any browsers except the Big Two (IE & Netscape.) I have such easy Tabs that you can hardly believe it. If you must close for any reason, Opera can reopen with every Tab intact if you want it to. (Win XP Pro 2)

I'm running v.8.54, but v.9 is out. My browser view is in the thumbs in this post.

The link is in my sig. :)

8. holvoetn

holvoetn Still a moderator ...

Don't forget FF ALSO has plugins to mimick IE ...
    E.g. the Palm Support pages always open on my FireFox setup as an IE-clone tab (I set FF to default towards IE rendering whenever opening something from palm.com otherwise the pages will not display)

9. lelisa13p

lelisa13p Your Super Moderator Super Moderator

Oh, Holvy, FF has a vast word-of-mouth network singing its praises; Opera is like the Little Engine That Could. Puff - puff - puff! :D (Quietly getting the job done. :) )

(Opera has the IE ID as a pref, not a plugin.)

<lelisa13p gets ready to put on the gloves for the Browser War Slug-Out, but instead she drops 'em and waves. :) >

10. Steverino

Steverino does not look like this.

I can't believe what I just did. When I looked at the big pic of BH from your Opera, I tried to close it with the red X on your screen shot!:eek:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.