A Forum for Smart Watches and Wearables?

Discussion in 'Site Suggestions, Help and Announcements' started by Hook, Mar 19, 2015.

1. Hook

Hook Phone Killer ;-) Arrrrr...f

This came to mind after HC's discussions of his Pebble and a new thread that popped up in Off Topic on the Moto 360. I know this sector is taking off slowly and this new forum wouldn't have a lot of activity at first, but I think it would be nonetheless worthwhile adding to the "Platforms" section of the Forum, although for now I guess we could just relegate them to "other platforms," but I prefer giving this new sector it's own forum, with no separation of Apple, Android or Windows, etc.

2. questionfear

questionfear Google'd.

I agree, I think it would be worthwhile.

FWIW, I just bought a Pebble to use as a general fitness tracker-it more than exceeds what I was looking for, and while I wouldn't call a smartwatch a necessity, I appreciate the little ways having it makes me slightly more efficient. Mostly I like the Misfit app, Runkeeper integration, and GymTimer app.

But yes, a discussion for smartwatches seems warranted.

3. r0k

r0k Dazed

I think it would be a great addition to bh. I just hope techtarget doesn't peel wearables off to make its own site.

4. jigwashere

jigwashere Life is a circus!

Using their logic (ref. smartphone forum on NBR), they'd probably add a smartwatch subforum on their camera review or printer comparison site. :rolleyes:

5. tstcodered

tstcodered Mobile Enthusiast

I'm all for that addition!

6. scjjtt

scjjtt A Former Palm User

QF - I have been interested in the Pebble - especially when I saw an alert saying BestBuy had them on sale for $79.99 plus if you are a college student with a edu email address you'd get $20 off or back (it was tempting for me to have my son order one & pay him back but when I checked it out BB had the price back up to $99.99).

What interests me with Pebble is the long battery life & it is E-ink. I want to be able to read it outside. I don't know if I need all the extras that the other Smart Watches offer. I don't need to browse web sites on something that small. If I could be notified of calls & texts with the watch then I could just leave my phone on vibrate, which I don't usually feel when it is in a phone case attached to my belt, & stop missing calls.

I like the look of the Pebble Steel (although the insides are no different from the Pebble) and I'm intrigued with the new Pebble Time that is being developed but not enough to lay out the $ in advance of phone's creation.

I've read that the Pebble & Pebble Steel will be getting the software update of the Pebble Time. My question is - does the Pebble have a mic to take advantages of Pebble Time's features? Are you able to read the display well outside? Anything input you can offer would be great.

And, yes - we need a thread for all Smart Watch discussions just as Hook said!

Sent from my Samsung Galaxy S4 using Tapatalk.

7. Hook

Does anyone know if posts in this forum ever come to the attention of anyone who would be capable of deciding yea or nae and implementing it? Is there a better way to bring this question to someone's attention?

scjjtt likes this.
  8. headcronie

headcronie Greyscale. Nuff Said. Super Moderator

Send a message to Ben. Provide a link to this topic. The premise of this section of the forum is well intended, but as it is currently run, this area should be shut down, because nobody with the ability to do anything, actually watches it.

RickAgresta, Hook and scjjtt like this.
  9. Hook

Just received a very nice PM from Ben and expect to see the new forum popping up sometime soon (don't know eta, but it will be coming). :newpalm:

Thanks, Ben! :hi:

jigwashere, RickAgresta and scjjtt like this.
  10. scjjtt

scjjtt A Former Palm User

Thanks Hook & headcronie (& Ben)!

Sent from a Hisense Sero Pro 7 using Tapatalk.

jigwashere and RickAgresta like this.