A few software reviews...

Discussion in 'General Palm OS' started by headcronie, Apr 6, 2006.

1. headcronie

headcronie Greyscale. Nuff Said. Super Moderator

The authors of Creatonia have wrapped up development on this project, and have now made it free. Registration of your HSID is still required, but now costs nothing. No checkout page needed. Simply input your HSID into the form, and it generates your registration code.

Their press release is here: http://forum.brighthand.com/showthread.php?t=254103

You can download the software and get your registration key here: http://www.creatonia.com/downloads.php

Some enlarged screenshots:

[​IMG][​IMG]

Requires Palm OS 5. Uses over 15MB of RAM (suggest you use a SD card). Looks to support 320x320 and 320x480 scree resolutions.

I've not had time to try it myself. Best grab it while it's still available!

2. headcronie

Now that Fictionwise owns eReader, they've done away with the free version, and made the Pro version free. All the features that were once time limited are now unlocked!

You can grab the newest and now free version here.

[​IMG] [​IMG]

eReader requires Palm OS 3.0 and higher, ~400KB RAM for the program + additional RAM for ebooks. eReader works in 160x160, 320x320 and 320x480 scree resolutions.

Now that it is free, there has never been a better time to update your software. Enjoy!

3. Strife89

Strife89 Always Struggling

:D :D :D :D
    I'm lovin' these shareware-to-freeware converts. Every cloud has a silver lining. (Referring to the Pocket Gear curse, even though it's unrelated to this stuff.... It's still awesome!!!)
    :D
    Keep diggin' up the goods, guys! ;)

EDIT: Blast! Creatonia doesn't run on the Zire 71! (It needs a TON of memory!)

4. plantboy1

plantboy1 Blogger and tech addict

Yeah, shareware to freeware rocks! Keep it coming people, i really enjoy checking out some of the software in this thread!

5. headcronie

Be sure to let Dmitry know you appreciate this kind gesture. For all of you that aren't aware of what SkinUI does, it is pure eye candy bliss.

Get SkinUI at Dmitry's website www.palmpowerups.com as well as some freely available skins.

How would you like your buttons, alerts, and more to look like this:

[​IMG] or this [​IMG]

Now you can. You can customize the look and feel of your entire device, and make it shine. There are numerous skins to choose from. This skin you choose, effects every application you run. This isn't just a launcher.

As a very limited side effect, this app does cause a slight slow down of your system, as it is rendering additional graphics. I do emphasize slight. It is very minor. I use this app on my TE, which is slow to begin with, and find it quite enjoyable.

This program requires ~400KB RAM for the program, plus additional RAM for the skin and / or sound effects package.

You also need a Palm OS device running Palm OS 5.0 or higher. 160x160, 320x320, and 320x480 resolutions are supported.

Enjoy!

Thanks to Doogie for the tip.

6. plantboy1

plantboy1 Blogger and tech addict

Many thanks to Dmitry for that. SkinUI is one of my favorite programs. Thanks for the tip HC!

7. headcronie

Stay connected to your friends on Facebook right from your Palm OS smartphone.

[​IMG]

Get it here or here.

Respond to messages, upload photos and video, and receive status updates just like you’re on the Facebook website. You can browse your friends' profiles and send out new friend requests.

Here are some key features of "Facebook for Palm":

* Send and receive Facebook messages, and respond to friend requests.
    * Capture video using your smartphone and post it to your Facebook profile.
    * View and post photos right from your smartphone — or snap and send off new ones.
    * Check out your friends’ photos and post a comment or two.
    * Receive News feeds, change your status, and get friends’ status updates on the go.
    * Browse friends\' profiles, post messages to their wall, and send friend requests
    * Or search for old friends through Facebook.
    * Open your Contacts and dial your friends with just one touch. It’s that simple.

System Requirements:
    Palm OS 5.4.9
    Devices supported: 680, 755p, and Centro

My thoughts:
    Probably will work on the 650, and 700p.
    Might work on the TX, T5, and maybe the TE2.

I don't use facebook, so unfortunately, I can't tell you what I think. If anyone else tries this, let us know what you think. :)

8. Hook

Hook Phone Killer ;-) Arrrrr...f

Here is an interesting new program I discovered-- well, actually, the developer posted on the Alphasmart forum I frequent because the program is compatible with the Dana's widescreen format.

Character Generator

[​IMG]

This is a program for writers. It allows you to create and keep track of character profiles for stories and novels. It is cleverly based on the old Palm Addressbook program. It has a long list of possible descriptive fields, plus 8 user defined fields. You can also add a note. You can have up to 16 categories for your characters to be grouped under.

It's a simple program still under development. The developer is very responsive and has already added a feature I requested: since the summary only shows a small number of the fields, to be able to reorder the fields so that I can choose what pops up on the summary.

The program is donationware (suggested $5), but in fact it is fully functional with no limits or nag screens. On the registration screen (shown below, also showing off the Dana screen resolution), you can see it is essentially freeware since it is marketed to writers who would mostly meet one of the opt-out criteria (the two check boxes). I donated the $5 anyway as I like to support responsive developers, and I think this is a clever app.

[​IMG]

If you are doing writing and need to keep track of characters check out thiis program. It is simple and effective. If there is something more you want, email the developer. :)

9. Inner Prop

Inner Prop Mobile Deity

I'm going to give this a try.

Writing and keeping track of writing ideas is the prime ulitmate reason I use a PDA (the bulky dayplanner was getting too thick with ideas).

A desktop component would be great. I'm going to suggest it.

Oh, and I happen to be a NaNoWriMo winner from 2005 and 2006

10. wozofoz

wozofoz Ab Fab Tab

To create a 'map' of how those characters interact with each other, would IdeaPad be handy ?

All the best, woz of oz