A few software reviews...

Discussion in 'General Palm OS' started by headcronie, Apr 6, 2006.

1. headcronie

headcronie Greyscale. Nuff Said. Super Moderator

As the original thread, got the axe during conversion, I'm going to re-start this thread, and dig up some of the more useful, current posts from the old thread. The original thread was nearing 500 posts, and had alot of conversation about the software reviewed. At this point, I'm just going to grab the reviews, and let the discussion continue from there. In some cases, the posts have been modifed with new information, and new links. Not all reviews will be posted either.. some of the software titles are no longer available, and some have been replaced by newer and better software.

Many of these reviews are freeware, with a few shareware/commercial titles intermixed.

Please feel free to add your own reviews and help this thread grow.

2. headcronie

Originally posted 4-6-2004

HolidayUSA is a great, tiny app that allows you to sort through US holidays, select the ones you are interested in, put them into your favorites list, and then add them to your calendar. You can add as many, or as few as you like, and you can choose the years that you would like added. Also, FREE, and I know that always music to peoples ears. Highly recommened software, and very recently, added support for Treo 600 owners. 5 stars out of 5 stars for this wonderful app. (You can even add the holidays you want, and remove the app!)

This app uses 18KB of RAM, works on ALL Palm OS versions.

Get HolidayUSA here: http://www.freewarepalm.com/clock/holidayusa.shtml

[​IMG]

3. Nine

Nine Ooh NO, missus...

Some would have shrugged and walked away. You haven't. I salute you, Headcronie. :)

4. headcronie

Originally posted on 4-4-04

Defator by Copera is a wonderful utility for those of you with a creative mind, and a small pocketbook. Firstly, Deflator is a FREE utility. Zilch, zero, nada.. out of your pocketbook. I like that kind of stuff. Deflator is a powerful deflation utility that will compress any file type in your handhelds RAM. Deflator cannot see expansion cards, thus it cannot read or write from them. Although, for those of you who are creative in its use, you may deflate a file in ram, and then using FileZ, move the compressed file to an expansion card. Deflator is rather basic in functionality, as programs like FlyZip will let you launch an app from a compressed file. Deflator, you must first inflate the file, then launch it. But, based on your lazyness factor, this may or not bother you. Deflator also takes up very little room at ~90kb. As with all compression utilities, you must have some extra free memory to compress and decompress your files. For being a free file, this product will do just as it advertises, and with a bit of creativity, this product has become a must have on my device. 5 stars out of 5 stars.

This application should come in VERY handy for Z22 users! :)

Get Deflator here: http://www.copera.com/deflater/index.html

[​IMG]

5. Streaky

Streaky I can't remember

headcronie, consider your rep prodded.

6. headcronie

Orignaly posted 4-7-06

[​IMG]

Get DatebookCat here: http://www.freewarepalm.com/utilities/datebookcat.shtml
    Try DateBookCat. It's a freeware utility that lets you easily assign DateBook entries to a category from a list view by simply tapping the entry once. I've used it for exactly what you mentioned: I imported about 4 yers of holidays into my DateBook. I created a category for "Holidays," then used DateBookCat to display the "Unfiled" category and tapped my way through the list to assign the holiday entries to their category. Very handy! It's located here.

DateBookCat goes through all of your datebk entries, and lists them in chronological order for you, displaying all the entries that are 'unfiled'. It then gives you the option of either deleteing them, or assigning a category to each one. You may think you have alot of entries to change, but if you use any templates from the Datebk4/5 software, it greatly reduces the number of items you have to change. This software is very easy to use, it's all point and click. No options to set, no user configs. Neat and clean.

And a big thanks to JRakes for bringing this software to my attention. I've never been one to use the category field in my calendar, as I've never had reason to separate any of my events.. until now. I needed to print off my calendar for one of my friends, but didn't need them to see ALL of my stuff, I just wanted them to see my work schedule.. well, what better way to do it, than to print off my 'work' category.. well.. I've never categorized any of them, so that was going to proove to be a daunting task. Now, with DateBookCat, assigning already existing entries to a category prooved a breeze! A MUST have for those of you who are very task oriented, and like to break your schedule down into work, play, freetime.. etc etc.

Takes ~20kb of space, and now has a new permanent home on my handheld. 5 stars out of 5 for this freebie. Thanks again JRakes.

7. lelisa13p

lelisa13p Your Super Moderator Super Moderator

Headcronie, you are a Prince among men. I'm tipping your rep, too. :) (This thread is a labor of love.)

Best Regards,
    Lauren

8. headcronie

Oringaly posted 4-1-06

[​IMG]

I'm always a sucker for a good price, and this one is right on top with that.. FREE! Brand new release on both palmgear and freewarepalm is FreeJongg The author of this title did a fantastic job on this game. Great graphics, even in 4bit greyscale. The author put all the versions (color, greyscale, and hi-res) into one program file, so it is a little heavy ~250kb. The gameplay is wonderful, and the tiles are very readable. Helpful gameplay rules are included as part of the program. And, as an added option, there are some predefined backgrounds you can have for your playing table. All of this, in a freeware package. For this title, I give 5 stars out of 5.

Requires Palm OS 3.5 and higher, 4 bit greyscale minimum. Supports 160x160 and 320x320 resolution.

Get FreeJongg here: http://www.freewarepalm.com/games/freejongg.shtml

9. headcronie

Originaly posted 4-15-04

Last night, I downloaded Cribbage for Palm (FREEWARE).
    Get Cribbage here: http://home.san.rr.com/mayes/cribbage.html

[​IMG]

I'll start off by saying, I've never played this game, and have only seen my grandmother play it. I had no clue as to what I was doing, and as a typical for me, I jumped straight into the game, without reading much of the rules for play. Well, my first game I got Skunked! Whatever that means. I laughed, and played again.. I lost, but didn't get skunked. Ok.. Now I'm curious. How do I play, as I've obviously not figured it out too well yet.

The rules of the game tell the game layout, and the scoring for the game, but don't do much in terms of 'What should I discard? What should I play?' information. After reading the directions twice trying to soak it in, I returned to the game, and tried to do the best I could, looking for the 'points plays' listed in the game. I'm doing quite a bit better this game, but the computer just got a power play on me, and scored an incredible 18 points in one hand. I've not figred out the crib, or how to best determine what to put into the crib.. so I fear I'm not going to win this game.

The gameplay is very straight forward, with tapping on the cards you wish to play / discard to crib. The board auto updates during game play, and then auto updates after scoring your hand. The graphics are fairly simple, with the emphasis on the actual gameplay itself, vs wowing with looks. The game works in greyscale and color mode and only takes up ~30kb on my handheld. Both color and greyscale versions are contained in the same program file. I've found no bugs within this software, and it has not crashed.

There are a few game settings you can change in the options, but as of yet, I don't know much about them... maybe I'll figure it out as I get better at the game. This version pits you against the computer for gameplay. There is not an option to play against another person.

I give this software title 4 stars of 5... In need of better game play help information. For those of you who already know how to play, this probably won't matter to you. Enjoy!

10. headcronie

Posted on 04-30-2004

I can't believe I forgot to mention this one. I just spent my break ripping my hair out over this game, and as time would tell, Palm kicked my tail.

[​IMG]

FREEWARE!! Check out Checkers (Draughts).
    Get it here: http://www.freewarepalm.com/games/checkers(draughts).shtml

Small sized at ~24KB RAM. Brutal intelligence (well, either that, or I really am a poor player) with 3 levels of difficulty to play. The game is pretty straight forward, with a html document added in the zip file for additional information. Game plays by the rules, and won't let you make an illegal move. For this quick, fun, and maddening application, I give 5 stars out of 5 stars.

This program works on Palm OS 1.0 through 5.x in 160x160 mode.