A Couple of iPod Touch Questions

Discussion in 'iOS / iPhone' started by DTM, Feb 23, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. DTM

DTM ---

My TX will be celebrating its third birthday soon, and it's showing its age. I'm thinking seriously about an iPod Touch. What I've researched so far looks good, but here are two issues I have not been able to answer:

1 - Syncing to two systems
    I don't think this will be a problem, actually. The deal is that I'll want to sync my calendar with Outlook and music/podcasts with iTunes. Easy huh? But they are on different computers--Outlook at work, iTunes at home. Both are Windows XP, and my company doesn't have a problem with my installing software at work. Can I expect any issues or headaches?

2 - Graphic Equalizer
    This one appears to be a problem. From what I've seen, there is no meaningful equalizer on the Touch, just one of those silly Pop/Rock/Jazz/Classical things. Not an issue for music, actually, but I like to listen to Old Time Radio programs, and some of those are ear-benders. I am what amounts to a power-user of the graphic equalizer on PocketTunes. This is certainly no deal-breaker, but is anyone aware of any announcements, etc. that might lead one to believe that there is a real equalizer forthcoming?

2. brickman65

brickman65 It's a state of mind..

DTM, If I am not mistaken, iPods/iTouch/iPhone can not be synced to two different computers at the same time.:(

That is the BAD news. You can get your Calender at work synced OTA (pushed) via Google, Exchange, MoMe, etc. Then all you would need to sync is your Music and etc. via iTunes at Home. :newpalm:

I do not know of an Equalizer, but I am not that discriminating with my Music. There may be a third party app in the App Store I just have never looked for one. I will have yo look around.

3. SuperGdog

SuperGdog aka Gdog

I have a separate mp3 player for Music as I don't like not having a Graphic Equalizer. I use the creative Zen, but you may want to look at the sandisk sansa clip. The clip is super Cheap ($25-$40) and has amazing SQ and a real EQ. Its also real small so it would not be an issue carrying it around along with your touch.

http://www.amazon.com/SanDisk-Sansa...2?ie=UTF8&s=electronics&qid=1235418900&sr=8-2

I bet you can find a better price than this though!

BTW-you will love the web browsing on the touch.

4. berylrb

berylrb Mobile Deity

actually you can but you have to use manually sync, which is kind of a pain if you don't recall what has changed, that is you can click on the albums that have changed, I thought that using manual you have the option to overwrite w/r to contacts and cal ... contacts not much of an issue w/r to time, but overwriting is not really syncing, eh? again you have to keep track of what actually changed, but Cal can be a pain if you have multiple calendars and colors, those as I recall had to be done one at a time.

again, for songs it's not much of an issue if you are adding one or two albums at a time, but if in one day you change a song at home and then at work grab one from a friend, that can be a mess via manually sync.

5. DTM

DTM ---

Thanks for the responses, all. Gives me some possibilities to explore. Elsewhere, I found someone who claims he does exactly what I want by configuring to sync only music at home and only calendar/contacts at work. I have a lot of things to try.

But first, I'll need that Touch. :newpalm: (Shouldn't that smilie be called newtouch?)

6. alphakenny1

alphakenny1 Mobile Enthusiast

7. berylrb

berylrb Mobile Deity

be warned that link is for iTunes 7.6 now on 8.0 but could still work.

however, for what DTM is trying to do ical/contact one computer, and music/video other computer nothing special is needed just set to manually sync then check uncheck what's for what computer.

8. alphakenny1

alphakenny1 Mobile Enthusiast

yes i understand. i did it and have the latest version of itunes so it does indeed work, for me at least, lol.

9. RobbM

RobbM Big Shot in the Lab

There is a preference in iTunes that simply says "Disable syncing on this computer". That prevents any swapping of data on your "second" computer and allows you to manually manage the library. On the "calendar" computer, you can let syncing occur, but set the music/videos to manual control, as beryl pointed out.

Apple specifically added these options for people who are using multiple computers, including work and home computers.

10. Matt J

Matt J Mobile Deity

I had a iPod touch for 2 days before returning it to the retailer. It had a lot of eye candy and the OS worked smoothly.... however... I just couldn't get used to the virtual keyboard. Being accustomed to the Palm OS, everything just seemed so "tiring". I kept trying to use the 5-way navigator to navigate the web, but it wasn't there. Using two hands to effectively operate seemed a bit much for me.

I know, I know... it's not a PDA...

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.