A Contemplation of Why Paper Books Are So Important

Discussion in 'Off Topic' started by lelisa13p, Nov 1, 2019.

1. lelisa13p

lelisa13p Your Super Moderator Super Moderator

My sense about the Kindle Kids Edition is that it's primarily all about profits (and not that the Kids are going to profit from the item.) :vbrolleyes:

2. RickAgresta

RickAgresta Peanut, leader of the Peanutty Forces

Indirectly related: many times, if I spot an ebook that looks interesting but (imho) costs too much, I'll see if my library has it. That action often leads me down a rabbit-hole of other books to think about borrowing…So, yesterday, after finding that the Ty Hutchinson book I was interested in wouldn't be available any time soon, I wound up looking at Lee Child's Jack Reacher series, and found 3 I hadn't read, 2 ebooks (books 1 & 2, availability: soon), the 3rd paper (availability: ~3 weeks {iirc}). I put holds on those 3, logged out and moved on to some other activity. Almost immediately, I get a text, Book 1 is available…a couple of hours after that, Book 2 is available. Then, last night, Book 3 (paper) is available. I'm ~a quarter of the way through the first book, and have DL'd book 2. I should check-out book 3 today, since the hold is good "until the 15th" -- safe interpretation, grab it before the 15th begins, and library is closed on Thursdays (the 14th in this case) and for Veterans Day, the 11th.
    If things go as planned I'll have 3 Jack Reacher novels to read, within a 2 week window :vbeek:

EDIT: the paper book wasn't a Jack Reacher story; it's Vertical Dive, by Michael DiMercurio.

Last edited: Nov 10, 2019
    lelisa13p and headcronie like this.
  3. Daniel L

Daniel L Mobile Enthusiast

In college I dreamed of having a digital book reader because I had crazy semesters where i had calculus, physics, and chemistry on the same days of the week. the hike from the parking lot to the science and/or math buildings made that backpack super heavy. it would've been so nice to walk around with maybe a small sack with a notebook if they had a kindle available then. of course, it was released on my senior year of college and all I caried to class was a notebook and a pencil... it's jsut my luck that it was timed that way. how happy i would've been if the kindle existed during the lower division. and of course i could've escaped the expensive college book store racket. every semester literally broke my bank.

anyway. i bought the first paperwhite as it went on a mother's day sale years ago. I still have it. i bought about three books total before discovering the digital library at our local branch. i was shocked. 'you mean to tell me you buy kindle books that we can just get on our kindles?' she responded that not only do they buy kindles but she told me to check out a bunch of them at once, then put the kindle on airplane mode. then i can have them as long as i need. the account will expire them online on their own. the books, it turns out, if left on the device long enough before reconnecting it never disappear from the kindle. i have dozens of books that won't evaporate but it's not like i'll ever read them again. it's stunning, though, how much more reading i do with thta thing.

just the thought of reading in bed. i prop it on the side of the nightstand and i lay on my one side and read while my spouse sleeps. i set the brightness really low and read to my heart's content. with a regular book i'd have to use a flashlight or keep the lights on if reading in bed. then my arms get tired.

i haven't bought a book or novel in years (other than IT training manuals). that paperwhite is still on my coffee table and it is still the object in my back pocket when i go out to the green belt with a cigar to read a few chapters. i do still love a good old fashioned book and frankly cant recall a time in the last decade where i didn't have at least five checked out at once.

my niece and nephews were all near newborns when they got tablets. my sister loaded them with nothing but educational games. they all learned to read early and my niece skipped a grade this year. the technology is certainly an improvement when used properly can lead to a major improvement in quality of life. i'm proud of them.

Sent from my SM-T720 using Tapatalk

4. EdmundDantes

EdmundDantes Mobile Deity

That's a good point Daniel. For school, it makes a lot of sense. Those hardcover textbooks were huge, heavy, and expensive.

jigwashere and scjjtt like this.