680 battery life

Discussion in 'Palm' started by katzjamr, Nov 27, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. katzjamr

katzjamr Mobile Enthusiast

i am a confirmed treo 600, 650 and now 680 user so please dont feel i just rant about treo, however the battery life on my 680 is LESS THAN HALF that of my 650. I know the battery is smaller however palm in their literature claimed the battery life would be EQUAL to the 650. I am not an email user, i only use the phone for its normal pda functions and phone calls. My 650 battery would always last approx two days. I cannot get thru one day with the 60 without recharging. I feel that palm should send a second battery or, at least stop the claim of equal battery life. i will be calling them. dave (otherwise imstill happy)

P. S. Imagine you are travelling with the 680 and dont have access to charging when you need it, in that case alone this short battery life is a real issue.

2. whydoidoit

whydoidoit Mobile Enthusiast

Its sucks. I have been recharging my phone twice a day. I am not a heavy user. I ck email four times a day, write, maybe 10, use the phone for about an hour. I have had the phone for three days and it is "half full" by mid day. There is not way this battery is close to my 650. :mad:

3. katzjamr

thankyou for confirming this issue, it helps to know i am not the only one.
    i have reported it to cingular, i think my only solution is to have two batteries.
    i feel they or palm should provide one at no extra charge.

4. whydoidoit

I too am contacting Cingular, however I think its a "Palm" issue. Extra battery for sure...

5. whydoidoit

FROM LAPTOP mag. review "
    The rated battery life for the Treo 680 is only four hours, compared with the six hours of the Treo 650. During our tests we noticed that the 680 ran out of juice relatively quickly. The battery meter went from three-quarters full to nearly empty in about a day, which means you'll have to bring the charger home on the weekend. Still, we assume most users are willing to live with shorter endurance if it means having a sleeker device.

6. Antoine Wright

Antoine Wright Neighborhood Mobilist Super Moderator

A few things:
    The battery took me about a week to break in. After that I have been getting about 2/3 to 3/4 of what I was getting with my 650. Mind you, my normal use is syncing 8 versamail accounts every hour, listening to 2hrs of music, and anywhere from 10min to 3hrs of phone calls (somewhere in the area of 10-25 sms too). With the 680, I have had to scale back the hourly checking of email to business hours (8-6) but other than that, it makes it (barely) thru the day(at 25-30% when I get home compared to 40-45% for the 650).

The battery is smaller than that of the 650. Despite any advances in programming or CF radio, nothing can take away from the fact that the same processor is driving a smaller battery. To expect the same usage, or even near similar is not realistic unfortunately (despite the marketing, its just not possible lest there was a more efficient processor used).

Is it a Palm issue? Yes and no. That was the trade off in making a thinner device. Sure, they could have used a different (read: newer) processor, but I don't think that they would have hit their price point in doing so. I do think that a ROM update will fix that to some degree, but that is not at all a guarantee or "secret information" from me. It is just a guess as per what has happened in previous ROM updates in terms of fixes/performance.

If you use the 680 exactly like you use the 650, you will need an extra battery. Wait a while and Seido is supposed to be bringing out an extended battery (with s different case cover) that should help most folks.

I'll say more in my full review but thought to at least say this much now.

7. MEF38

MEF38 Mobile Deity

We are working on a new extended capacity battery for Treo 680. Hopefully we'll have more news within the next couple of weeks.

Anything in particular you're looking for?

Mark :cool:

8. katzjamr

thank you both mark and a wright, for your prompt responses and the hope that an extended battery will be available soon. dave

9. danbee46

danbee46 Mobile Evangelist

Mark:

That sounds great. I am also experiencing incredible power drain with my 680. Is there any way you can post it on this board when the battery is available?

Dan

10. MEF38

MEF38 Mobile Deity

Dan,

You can count on it. And if for some reason you haven't heard from me, remind me by posting a message in this thread. I'm subscribed to it and I will respond. :D

Mark :cool:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.