55 MPH Good or Bad Idea...

Discussion in 'Off Topic' started by New Cell, Jun 28, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. z22 2006 User

z22 2006 User BHOT's Own Fluffy

You wouldn't beleive how fast people go in our neighborhood. They even speed in a school zone sometimes.

2. Konrad Pierce

Konrad Pierce Village Idiot 2.0

I read somewhere that a number of the Saudi cartels are worried about our high fuel prices. They're quite concerned that rising prices at the pump are going to motivate more consumers and manufacturers toward alternate fuel sources. To help prevent this terrible occurence they've managed (practically overnight) to increase oil production by some 5 million barrels per day. Naturally gas prices will remain stable, not decrease.

3. dogbarber

dogbarber No one in particular...

Some stuff on the hypermilers:

4. palmgeek5394

palmgeek5394 Nokia N800 + HTC Wizard

Our middle school is out in the middle of nowhere, so there aren't a lot of cars driving by.

5. Scoobie10

Scoobie10 Cowboy in the Jungle

Just bought a much smaller, 4 Cyl commuter. Over the years people have speculated on the dollar figure it would take to make people change habits or cars, I hit mine about $3.50 per gallon.

I think the "peak oil" idea is interesting but I'm not sold on it yet. The idea is based on current production abilities which is subject to change. If the US oil companies decided to start pumping in the 40-some million leased acres off shore (what they are currently allowed to drill in but don't) or any of the other areas currently being discussed, it would change the mark for where we are in the peak oil scale.

6. Antoine Wright

Antoine Wright Neighborhood Mobilist Super Moderator

Personally, I'd prefer that the speed limit be raised on highways to at least 70 and then employment of speed tables in those residential areas where speed is an issue. I would also move to using more traffic circles, and a general acceptance by workers and employeers in the knowledge-based industries to do more telecommuting (66% of work) in order to foster the local small business economies and further save on driving fuels.

7. Silly Rabbit

Silly Rabbit In training!

I agree. This may be totally obtuse (I've been known to have such thoughts) but my mother lived through "The Great Depression" and WWII when alot of things (sugar, gas, silk (or whatever was used to make "nylons" at that time), etc) were rationed. I guess I figure if we've made it through those things, we'll continue on (unless "The Big One: hits and then we won't be worrying about anything at all!) I also find it interesting how things evolve during these times...Necessity being the mother of invention & all that. :rolleyes:

8. Dick Tracy

Dick Tracy Detective/Moderator

It will separate the men from the boys.

I learned plenty from grandmother who went through Great Quake of '06 while 6 months pregnant, Prohibition, Great Depression, WWII; father who was a POW captured in the Philippines in WWII; mother who was evacuated from Shanghai and later Hong Kong due to different wars; Russian friends who left in 1917 and came to USA through China; Holocaust survivors, etc. We have had it pretty easy in USA for the past 50 years (although the 70s stagflation wasn't fun, nor was martial law and water rationing).

I expect that most of the tinkerers and creative sorts will be fine.

9. Silly Rabbit

Silly Rabbit In training!

Indeed, there is alot to learn from these survivors. Honestly, I can't imagine what it must have been like to have lived through any of those events.

And I may be being overly simplistic here, but eventhough the economy is so bad right now, people are still driving around, still talking on their cell phones & still eating out. Yes, things are bad, but people (in general) still seem to have it much better than the hard times of the past.

(I'm currently having an ongoing "discussion" with my sister, who at 66, is still annoyed at our 91 y/o mother because she (my sister) is suffering from "middle kid syndrome". So things of this nature (IE putting things in perspective) tend to be uppermost in my thoughts and tend to trigger monologues/rampages :rolleyes: ...sorry if I'm sounding preachy...)

10. avisitor

avisitor Mobile Deity

While true that this crisis was caused by hedge funds and speculators. Those are unregulated. That needs to change. Hedge funds have only the interests of the partners in mind and end up screwing the rest of us.

Eventually, like the housing market, oil prices will fall. It's a matter of time. Nothing stays high forever.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.