5 most useful applications

Discussion in 'General Palm OS' started by palmos67, Mar 15, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. palmos67

palmos67 Mobile Deity

I realize this has been done before but I would just like to see what everyone else thinks are the five best applications and what's so good about the applications. Please let us all know where it can be found. Thanks

2. sea-fisherman

sea-fisherman Mobile Deity

Wordsmith: Word processing, text and memo creation. Free as ebook reader!
    ShadowPlan: Outliner, planner, everything linker.
    HotDate: PIM integrator, sort of -- I'm a registered user of Agenda (hated it) and DateBk3 and DateBk5, but always go back to this fast and lightweight integrator. It's also free!
    Olive Tree Bible Reader: I use their schedule to read through the Bible annually.
    JackFlash and JackSprat: 'Releases' RAM to your applications and databases!

3. jscott000

jscott000 Mobile Consultant

Sign-on for Palm
    Security Program, require your personal signature to access your palm after its off for N minutes.

WordComplete for Palm
    Popup wordlist, helps speed Graffiti input

QuickSheet for Palm
    A NATIVE Palm Spreedsheet that is fully compatiable and integrated into Excel. Support formulas across multiple tabs, the best palm spreadsheet available. The keyword here is NATIVE, built for the Palm platform, functions like excel. (also includes a chart program)

ThoughtManager
    An information manager for the palm, with a full functional Windows client. Great for collecting all types of list oriented information.

DocumentsToGo Premium
    DTG has to basic functions (1) View any PC document on the Palm, (2) Edit most of those documents on the Palm. The premium version adds a great Mail-Reader, picture Viewer, PDF Viewer, and excel chart viewer.

These five enable me to leave the laptop at home for the majority of my business trips.

These make using the palm a real Joy; BibleWithYou(Bible reader), C4-EveryDay(SuperCalculator), PocketLingo(Am.Herit.Dictionary), Acrobat for Palm(real PDF viewer), and PocketTunes(mp3 player).

4. lowtech

lowtech Mobile Deity

SplashID- an excellent secure storage app. for passwords and all kinds of information... (They also make other good programs and Splash Wallet, which includes several of them): www.splahdata.com

Vindigo - great travel tool...for a moderate annual fee they offer useful information on many cities, more added frequently: www.vindigo.com

WorldMate - a facinating collection of world-wide data and information, including weather forecasts which are updated at each hotsync or wirelessly: www.mobimate.com

Wassup - I like this as my opening screen - it can be configured to show a variety of useful info (Tasks, Battery/Memory, Appointments, etc., etc.) at a glance and the support is absolutely the best!: www.pocketscience.com.au

Datebk5 - the best datebook replacement for me!: www.pimlicosoftware.com

5. Peppy

Peppy Mobile Deity

1. Datebk5
    2. Datebk5
    3. Datebk5

(I think you get my point)

However, HanDBase also gets my vote, as does Slap, Today, Daynotez, and Lesson Plan

oops, I guess that is more than 5. Oh well.

But seriously, I could give up all of those but maybe HanDBase and only run Datebk5 and life would still be perfect.

6. spvwolfy

spvwolfy gadgethound

1.Backup Buddy VFS 2. Card Backup 3.NewPen/and or Graffiti Anywhere 4.Okey 5.SprayPaint

7. Ben S

Ben S Mobile Deity

One of the problems with these "5 best" polls is that you'll never get any conformity of response because the PalmOS is so versatile. Everyone has their own way of working, their own special needs, and their own goals for the use of their handheld. That adds up to a lot of different outlooks on what's "best" overall. It usually makes more sense to be a bit more specific about the category of apps you're interested in.

8. palmos67

palmos67 Mobile Deity

I think this poll is good in that everyone can see what others are using. Since everybody has different preferences it can help someone find software suitable to them.

9. probinette

probinette Mobile Deity

I enjoy these polls even when they are a bit unfocused and I am glad to put in my two bits for Pocket Quicken 2.0 which I use quite a bit to keep track of my personal and business finances. You can get what seems to be the best price at Amazon.com.

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/A...ksmsubsite-sub-sw-asin-20/102-7247784-0934520

If this link does not work just go to Amazon.com and search for Pocket Quicken.

10. jscott000

jscott000 Mobile Consultant

I think this was interesting.

I am not totally surprised to see commonality, at a category level, of applications by most users.
    For example: Most people seem to use; Some type of "List or Database" manager, an Enhanced Date and/or Calendar function, a versatile document reader/editor, Some type of Grafitti aid, and either a security or BackUp program.

As I look over this and other Palm forums the same threads seem to repeat. Many of the programs mentioned, I have heard of before or tried. But every once in a while something new pops up. (Not this time though.)

Don't stop the exchange. Finding something new once in a while is what makes this whole process worthwhile.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.