4150 cradle?

Discussion in 'iPAQ h4000 series' started by ironchef, Nov 5, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ironchef

ironchef Mobile Evangelist

I need another cradle for work but I can't find one... any recommendations?
  2. NewtonDKC

NewtonDKC Mobile Evangelist

You could always get a sync cable to tie you over until the cradles are available, or if you have a 2215 or 5000 series cradle handy, the 4155 will fit - not well by any means - but it will fit and actually make a connection. But then again, the 4155 doesn't fit too well in the cradle designed for it, so you're not really sacrificing much. And call me shallow but I still think the 5000 series cradle is far more attractive than the 4000 series cradle. The little 4155 sits up proudly in it, only slightly looser than the one included, the stylus silos work quite well despite the toothpick size, and the silver logo on the bottom matches nicely. :) :)

Actually, I'm wondering if HP is planning on switching to the cradle that comes with the 4155 as the default iPAQ Cradle across the line. Both the back section and the plastic section immediately under the iPAQ itself both pop out, allowing for larger devices to fit with ease (in fact I now use the 4155 cradle to setup any 5000, 2200, or 4100 series iPAQ that is brought to me at work - they all fit it quite well). I guess it would make sense to standardize from a manufacturing standpoint, and gives HP something akin to Palm's Universal Connector. Anyway, just a thought, since there seems no reason to have designed it with the pop out sections if it wasn't meant for larger devices, and especially since the 4155 itself fits into it in such a precarious manner (okay, that's too kind - let's be honest, the fit of the 4155 in the cradle sucks - even after a few weeks I still worry I'm breaking the connector everytime I dock the baby). :)

Thank goodness its such a lightweight device. Truly there is nothing holding it up but the connector itself. :)
  3. Newton,

You got me thinking...I wonder if the 55xx extended battery fits in the 41xx extra battery area. With the plastic peice removed of course... Anyone?
  4. ironchef

ironchef Mobile Evangelist

Fortunately I have a sync cable from my 3870 so I am getting by... but I much prefer cradles. Well, I am sure we'll have options soon. :)
  5. NewtonDKC

JohnJohn, I'll try it out at work tomorrow and see...
  6. NewtonDKC

Nope, the 5000 series battery won't fit even with the back slug removed. However, the 5550 actually fits the cradle itself way better than the 4150! Take the bottom slug/spacer (whatever the plastic slot filler thingy is called) and the 5550 fits into the groove perfectly, again leading me to believe this cradle was designed with it in mind (because they certainly could have made the 4150 fit better). I was wrong about the 2215 though - although it charges in it just fine, I can't get it to actually sync.
  7. flykaster

flykaster Mobile Evangelist

THe 41xx cradle does suck. I had a 21xx and liked the cradle. Does the 41xx fit in it okay?
  8. NewtonDKC

Flykaster, let me check out the 4150 in the 2215 cradle at work tomorrow and I'll post how it fits.

I personally really liked the 1910 cradle - well designed and attractive. I wonder if it's possible to take it apart and flip the connector around to fit the 4150? I gave my 1910 and cradle to my roommate and he keeps the cradle at work so I can't easily check this - anyone else ever try this?
  9. flykaster

flykaster Mobile Evangelist

Thank you NewtonDKC! I appreciate it.
  10. It works fine. i have been using one at my office since I returned my 2215. I think it even charges my 4155.
  11. JNGold

JNGold Mobile Deity

Just picked up another 4100 cradle and AC adapter at my local Circuit City. I was pretty surprised they had them.
  12. Perky

Perky Mobile Enthusiast

Well, I'm in love with my IPAQ again. The 4150 is a dream, but as many have already said, the cradle is just too big. Hoping someone will come up with a much smaller unit (after market). I'll have to check out the 2215.

Cheers,

Perky
  13. JNGold

JNGold Mobile Deity

Huh? You must have a very small desk. Granted the cradle is not the smallest one I ever had, but big?