400 Bad Request

Discussion in 'Site Suggestions, Help and Announcements' started by r0k, Jan 10, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. r0k

r0k Dazed

Today, I had to quit, restart and clear cache in FF 3.6.13 to get around every click leading to an error page that said "400 Bad Request". I'm underwhelmed with FF right now, but I'm also looking crosseyed at BH because it's the only site this has happened with. If I'd been less distracted, I would have tried notebook review or another one of the BH sister sites to see if the problem was across all sites. I'm all rebooted now so I may never know.

2. jigwashere

jigwashere Life is a circus!

I had the problem earlier today, but I ignored it and it went away. I did not restart firefox, nor did I try any other browser.

3. leaftye

leaftye Mobile Enthusiast

I was getting that on the sister site TPCR. It worked fine with Chrome.

4. r0k

r0k Dazed

I'm trying to resist installing chrome again but all these quirks and crashes are making me sick of Firefox.

5. r0k

r0k Dazed

400 Bad Request

nginx/0.7.28

I'm using (yuck) Safari right now just so I can post this and complain. Please fix this so I can use my preferred (firefox) browser on my preferred (OS X) os for my preferred (brighthand forums) web site. Argh!!!!

Last edited by a moderator: May 18, 2015
  6. jigwashere

Hi, r0k! Sorry you've had problems. I've been on BH on and off throughout the day using Firefox on 3 different PCs (I had to work from 5:30 AM until 9 AM and checked in before I left the office). Anyway, I haven't had any issues. Are you sure the trouble isn't on your end?

7. r0k

r0k Dazed

I'm pretty sure the trouble IS on my end. The latest version of Firefox broke something pretty badly. Trouble is, none of the other forums I visit were affected by this so one could argue the trouble is on BH end 'cuz BH is the only site affected by this Firefox issue. I'm using Safari again to post this morning. The last time I had these kind of issues I cleared cache and they went away. I guess I'm going to have to take another look at xmarks now that I must consider leaving FF for good (for Chrome, Opera or Safari).

8. Hook

Hook Professional Daydreamer

No problems on Firefox 4 Beta from home. At work (where I am not allowed Firefox), I assume I still have the problem that forces me to Brighthand Mobile 2 skin. Will find out tomorrow.

9. jigwashere

I am using multiple versions of Firefox, so that might be why I haven't seen the problem. At work, I user portable Firefox. On my netbook, 3.6.13 (I have 4b7 installed, but haven't been using it). On my desktop, I'm using 4b7.

Anyway, sorry Firefox is giving you problems. Are you having other issues with it? Threatening to leave FF for good seems extreme, especially when your other options don't seem very appealing.

I don't think I've ever had any (significant) issues with FF. I allow automatic updates and am very willing to try beta versions. I have a handful of add-ons that I generally keep synced using Siphon (some add-ons don't work with newer versions of FF yet, and some I don't want on each machine).

I'm a late-comer to Firefox. I use a few other browsers to test our web application at the office, but I'm really not as familiar with them. I really don't want to take the time and effort to learn to configure a new browser when FF suits my needs well and no other browser seems to be as stable or offer as many options. When I read about the benefits of other browsers, I'm just not impressed enough to leave FF.

Anyway, I hope your issues get resolved and you land on a good browser! If you find one that's a lot better, let me know. I might be persuaded to try it out.

10. r0k

r0k Dazed

Threatening to leave FF for good may not seem reasonable, but I don't have a lot of time to troubleshoot problems which were not of my own making. Last night, I had a quick 30 minute slot to read my favorite feeds and check BH. Every site worked except BH. 25 of my 30 minutes were wasted on clearing FF cache and other attempts to fix the problem. I returned this morning to more of the same. Fed up, I switched to Chrome and everything worked flawlessly and a lot faster. Lastly, I went to mozilla.org so I could report the problem. I then launched FF again to try to reproduce the problem so I could post "troubleshooting information" to mozilla.org, had to force quit and relaunched it. Now the problem is once again solved.

My question is why should I have to spend my valuable browsing time providing evidence to fix firefox? The next Bad Request I see, FF will be relegated to a "backup" browser so I can spend all my time browsing and none of my time repairing stuff I didn't break in the first place. BTW, I use "default style" when I'm logged in. Another thing I was about to try was to switch to another style.

BTW, Bad Request isn't the only reason I'm in the market for a new browser. On Win 7 at the office, FF grows to 350+ meg in memory, despite me setting about:config->trim_on_minimize to true. At home, if I leave FF running for a few days, I often come back and need to force quit it and in the most extreme cases, Finder is out to lunch and I need to reboot OS X.

With its instability, slow response and outrageous memory consumption, FF is the quintessential devil of my computing life these days. I spent some time importing ff bookmarks to Chrome and rearranging them. The only add-ons I value that seem to be missing from chrome are adblock and flashblock.

In summary, my intermittent ff issues on BH include the inability to post, inability to edit posts, inability to load with "bad request" errors, drop downs not working, font color, font face, url, quote and other features not working. Basically a very unpleasant browsing experience and major spikes in time spent fixing broken things on an almost monthly basis.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.