2nd class citizens!

Discussion in 'Garmin' started by rkevwill, Mar 26, 2012.

1. rkevwill

rkevwill Mobile Deity

You Mod's should be ashamed of yourselves, relegating us Garmin folks to the hinterlands with all the out of date and antique devices. After all, the Garmin stuff is all still being made! Well, not the iQue, but you know what I mean :)

hal likes this.
  2. statsman

statsman Mobile Deity

How did we become 2nd class citizens?

3. headcronie

headcronie Greyscale. Nuff Said. Super Moderator

Sorry guys... I didn't personally do it, but all good things must come to an end. I don't like seeing old items die off... but you have to admit... this stuff is antiquated. :p

4. raspabalsa

raspabalsa Brain stuck BogoMipping

Almost all the brands are now listed under "Older Models" in the Device Manufacturers page of Brighthand. LG, Motorola, Samsung (which includes the brand new Galaxy Player sub-forum), are there too. The only brands that appear outside of the "Older Models" section are Apple, Blackberry, and HTC. I don't know if this was always so. Seems something needs to be fixed.

BTW, this thread belongs to the Site Suggestions, Help and Announcements sub-forum, as it concerns several brands, not only Garmin. Let's hope a Mod relocates it and notifies the site Administrators.

EDIT: This affects only the Device Manufacturers page. The Forum Jump tree at the bottom of the page does not have a general "Older Models" sub-section, and most brands (i.e. Apple, BlackBerry, Samsung, Nokia) are shown hierachically at the same level. Sadly, Garmin is relegated to the "Other Device Manufacturers" level.

5. rkevwill

rkevwill Mobile Deity

But only the iQue is antiquated. There are plenty of advanced and current Garmins out. Most of the other manufacturers in this group are GONSO! not Garmin. And Contrary to some opinions, Garmin is doing quite well business wise. It hit a new all time high a couple weeks ago.

Trust me, if you are a real GPS head, you know how superior the standalone units are, than the phone based software.

6. headcronie

Not arguing with you on that point, rkevwill. Garmin has a knockout bunch of dedicated GPS units. However, given the focus of this site, those don't qualify as devices Brighthand covers. Brighthand covers the iQue, other PDA's, and smartphones and to a point tablets. Thus, Garmin is antiquated in the view of Brighthand.

7. rkevwill

rkevwill Mobile Deity

Agreed. I just like to stir the pot and pull the chains :)

8. questionfear

questionfear Google'd.

rkevwill, will it make you feel better if we discuss random garmin products? I love my Nuvi...but my favorite garmin product is my forerunner 405. It doesn't judge me when I am trudging along slowly, and I like racing the virtual partner. It's nice when I am faster than the tiny stick figure.

And how this remotely on topic...um...my forerunner probably has more computing power than an early iQue!

9. rkevwill

rkevwill Mobile Deity

Since we are in the hinterlands :) I pretty much think we can talk about whatever we want, till Headcronie smacks us LOL. I read some comparisons a couple years ago, where they said the iPhone packs more computing power than the Apollo space capsule! If thats the case, I don't doubt for a second the forerunner packs more power than our old beloved iQues.

10. headcronie

Um, that's my hair... not chains...

I'd love to see Garmin come out with some sort of Android tablet that is a dedicated GPS unit with some extras. :)