2nd class citizens!

Discussion in 'Garmin' started by rkevwill, Mar 26, 2012.

1. rkevwill

rkevwill Mobile Deity

You Mod's should be ashamed of yourselves, relegating us Garmin folks to the hinterlands with all the out of date and antique devices. After all, the Garmin stuff is all still being made! Well, not the iQue, but you know what I mean :)

hal likes this.
  2. statsman

statsman Mobile Deity

How did we become 2nd class citizens?

3. headcronie

headcronie Greyscale. Nuff Said. Super Moderator

Sorry guys... I didn't personally do it, but all good things must come to an end. I don't like seeing old items die off... but you have to admit... this stuff is antiquated. :p

4. raspabalsa

raspabalsa Brain stuck BogoMipping

Almost all the brands are now listed under "Older Models" in the Device Manufacturers page of Brighthand. LG, Motorola, Samsung (which includes the brand new Galaxy Player sub-forum), are there too. The only brands that appear outside of the "Older Models" section are Apple, Blackberry, and HTC. I don't know if this was always so. Seems something needs to be fixed.

BTW, this thread belongs to the Site Suggestions, Help and Announcements sub-forum, as it concerns several brands, not only Garmin. Let's hope a Mod relocates it and notifies the site Administrators.

EDIT: This affects only the Device Manufacturers page. The Forum Jump tree at the bottom of the page does not have a general "Older Models" sub-section, and most brands (i.e. Apple, BlackBerry, Samsung, Nokia) are shown hierachically at the same level. Sadly, Garmin is relegated to the "Other Device Manufacturers" level.

5. rkevwill

rkevwill Mobile Deity

But only the iQue is antiquated. There are plenty of advanced and current Garmins out. Most of the other manufacturers in this group are GONSO! not Garmin. And Contrary to some opinions, Garmin is doing quite well business wise. It hit a new all time high a couple weeks ago.

Trust me, if you are a real GPS head, you know how superior the standalone units are, than the phone based software.

6. headcronie

Not arguing with you on that point, rkevwill. Garmin has a knockout bunch of dedicated GPS units. However, given the focus of this site, those don't qualify as devices Brighthand covers. Brighthand covers the iQue, other PDA's, and smartphones and to a point tablets. Thus, Garmin is antiquated in the view of Brighthand.

7. rkevwill

rkevwill Mobile Deity

Agreed. I just like to stir the pot and pull the chains :)

8. questionfear

questionfear Google'd.

rkevwill, will it make you feel better if we discuss random garmin products? I love my Nuvi...but my favorite garmin product is my forerunner 405. It doesn't judge me when I am trudging along slowly, and I like racing the virtual partner. It's nice when I am faster than the tiny stick figure.

And how this remotely on topic...um...my forerunner probably has more computing power than an early iQue!

9. rkevwill

rkevwill Mobile Deity

Since we are in the hinterlands :) I pretty much think we can talk about whatever we want, till Headcronie smacks us LOL. I read some comparisons a couple years ago, where they said the iPhone packs more computing power than the Apollo space capsule! If thats the case, I don't doubt for a second the forerunner packs more power than our old beloved iQues.

10. headcronie

Um, that's my hair... not chains...

I'd love to see Garmin come out with some sort of Android tablet that is a dedicated GPS unit with some extras. :)

11. jigwashere

jigwashere Life is a circus!

Which unit should I get to connect to my Nook Color?

Sent from my Samsung Galaxy S2, Epic 4G Touch using Tapatalk

12. rkevwill

rkevwill Mobile Deity

Personally, I think they should come out with an onboard system, (like they have for the iPhone now), for both android and iOS systems, tablet and phone, that has a bluetooth hook to an external Sirf3 antenna. Not hard to imagine, because we had that for our ipaqs etc, and (not so great) for our palms. At present, my TomTom system with the external chip in the car mount, is FAR more sensitive than the iPhone gps chip alone. Us garmin folks remember that bluetooth antenna. Matter of fact, I still have one hanging around somewhere.

If they have any sense, they would come out with one for iOS first. No matter which OS we think is better, the sales figures on tablets don't lie. I kind of have a feeling the reason they haven't done so, is it would kill a lot of sales with standalone devices.

13. questionfear

questionfear Google'd.

Yes and no. Maybe I'm weird, but I love having a separate standalone unit.

14. rkevwill

rkevwill Mobile Deity

Actually, I do too. My visor mounted hands free speaker is much clearer than either the TomTom, or Garmin hands free. So, generally on any trips, I prefer my nuvi without bluetooth on, and my iPhone connected to my handsfree speaker. I usually don't like phone calls etc interrupting navigation, especially in a busy city or interchange. I do use the iPhone on short trips in the area, to unfamiliar areas.

15. questionfear

questionfear Google'd.

I am the same way. My car has bluetooth built in, so I treat it the same. Much easier that way, and I find that in "funky" areas, the Nuvi is more likely to grasp directions properly than Google Maps.

16. statsman

statsman Mobile Deity

I also prefer a standalone unit. But for a quick trip, especially at the last minute, the navigation app on my Android works GREAT!!!!

17. hal

hal itchy and cold feet hal

Another thing on the subject, is that even though Garmin has new and recent models, nobody is reviewing them over here, nor commenting purpose, applications and accessories. People, I don't like being one lonesome visitor to the Palm Treo 680 badlands, but I'm starting to think Palm is not releasing the Palm Treo 681, any time soon :( Ergo, I think I don't have the support (or the audience) to claim for a comeback of that sub-forum.

I bet my teeth that if there were a vibrant community of Garmin users among us, commenting the devices, and bringing updates to the forum, and all that, the Brighthand staff would seriously consider dedicating more time and cover space to them. However, that's the thing with all the combinations that lead to popularity (or lack thereof) with mobile platforms and devices. It's not happening.

18. Ken in Regina

Ken in Regina Mobile Deity

Re: an Android tablet from Garmin ... I'm pretty sure Garmin learned their lesson, the hard way, with the iQues. It's really really hard to support devices that are not dedicated to a single purpose. They found that they were spending as much or more of their time trying to support the non-GPS functions as they were the GPS stuff. Their iQue support staff had to become knowledgeable in the Palm OS and its personal information management (PIM) functions. That wasn't cost effective at all for them.

They have enough difficulty supporting a gazillion different models of dedicated navigation devices. They've made even that task more difficult than it needs to be by making no effort at all to ensure that common features across the model lines at least work the same. :mad:

...ken...

19. Sho-Bud

Sho-Bud Mobile Deity

But I still love my Ique3600 and 3600a. I only would need support for NT maps. Everything else works as perfect as the day it came out of the box.

20. Ken in Regina

Ken in Regina Mobile Deity

My 3600 and 3600a both still work perfectly, too. But I never use them because the maps are so outdated. I use a Nuvi in the car, an eTrex Legend HCx on my mountain bike and motorcycle and an Approach G6 on the golf course.

I have finally given up on my Palm Centro smartphone due to the old outdated (e.g. broken) browser and email client and gone over to the mildly dark side. Got an android smartphone. An iPhone would really be going over to the extremely dark side. :)

I have tried ALK CoPilot on the Android phone for navigation and it doesn't come close to Garmin's Mobile XT nav program for the Palm Centro. But it does have the same advantage that you load the maps onto the device so you don't need an unlimited data plan in order to use it. Not that it matters. The screen on the HTC smartphone is horrible in sunlight so you can't see anything on it anyway.

...ken...