2018: Thoughts on Anti-Virus and Anti-malware (Windows 10)

Discussion in 'Off Topic' started by Hook, May 14, 2018.

1. raspabalsa

raspabalsa Brain stuck BogoMipping

IMO, NSA's webpages should be picked as malware by every security app... Just sayin'

jigwashere likes this.
  2. lelisa13p

lelisa13p Your Super Moderator Super Moderator

Conspiracy theorists would be over the moon. :vbrolleyes:

jigwashere and RickAgresta like this.
  3. raspabalsa

Au contraire, dear lelisa. Conspiracy theorists claim no one has been to the moon, or over it.

Last edited: May 19, 2018
    jigwashere and lelisa13p like this.
  4. lelisa13p

lelisa13p Your Super Moderator Super Moderator

Well played. :thumbsup: (Can't forget the cow, however. :vbtongue: ) Cow Jumping On Pogo Stick.gif

scjjtt, jigwashere and raspabalsa like this.
  5. Hook

Hook Phone Killer ;-) Arrrrr...f

This produces no result on my old HP Pavillion that was updated to Win 10 by the free OTA. So,according to the piece, that means my product key is not stored in BIOS. Unfortunately, they don't say where to go from there. Hopefully Raspy is right if I ever decide to do a clean install again.

6. headcronie

headcronie Greyscale. Nuff Said. Super Moderator

What did you upgrade from? W7? If so, you have a Certificate of Authenticity with the key, somewhere on your system. It is a sticker.

Sent from my Samsung Galaxy Note 8 using Tapatalk

Hook, RickAgresta and jigwashere like this.
  7. raspabalsa

I've done a couple of clean Win10 installs on my desktop, and the key reappeared from wherever it may have been stored. I doubt the key is in this computer's BIOS, because I assembled this computer myself, the mainboard is from 2010, and the computer started with Win XP, then Win7, skipped Vista and 8, and went straight to Win10 for free. But since I installed Win10 the first time I haven't changed much in the way of hardware, just the hard disks. The PC has the same mainboard and graphics adapter I installed in 2010. What I've read is that Win10 generates a digital fingerprint, calls home and compares it against its database, if recognized, the key is sent down and Win10 activates. I do worry I may lose the activation if I change the mainboard, which seems like I'll have to do sometime, because this computer crashes with blue screen some times, always in an unexpected and untimely manner :rolleyes:.

8. headcronie

Changing the mainboard will trip a license check and cause it to fail licensing. Too many new components.

jigwashere and raspabalsa like this.
  9. headcronie

The only way around it would be to flash the BIOS and update the serial number. You could claim a failed MOBO, and have Microsoft enable the key again. You would have to replace the MOBO with the exact same model, so no upgrading.

raspabalsa and jigwashere like this.
  10. raspabalsa

Just a quick intermission : my Saturday night did not quite go as expected. Instead of waiting for the pop-up to appear, I was greeted by a "new windows update ready" notification asking for a reboot. I absent-mindedly agreed. Seems this was a major one, laptop went through several reboots, update steadily advancing, until it did no more. After the last reboot the laptop refused to start windows and instead flashed a recovery & rollback screen. Well, rollback fails, so I tried recovery, and it also fails. I quit after unsuccessfully trying several fixes. Today it still flashes the same screen. Next to do: remove the hard disk, install it on my desktop, backup my data, and reinstall Win10 from scratch. This is not what I had in mind for a Sunday morning. :(

lelisa13p and jigwashere like this.