2018: Thoughts on Anti-Virus and Anti-malware (Windows 10)

Discussion in 'Off Topic' started by Hook, May 14, 2018.

1. Hook

Hook Phone Killer ;-) Arrrrr...f

Yeah, I was looking at Jellybean that Jig mentioned because I had never heard of it and it looks like getting the Key from Bios is one of the things they want you to pay $30 for.

2. headcronie

headcronie Greyscale. Nuff Said. Super Moderator

scjjtt, jigwashere, lelisa13p and 3 others like this.
  3. raspabalsa

raspabalsa Brain stuck BogoMipping

Is there genuine concern about losing one's windows key? I've replaced hard disks on two or three of the computers in my household, never had a problem reactivating Windows 10. On every case I downloaded the win10 installer to flash drive, booted with it and installed win10 clean. From what I've read, "major" hardware changes can disable the license, and in this case supposedly the solution is to buy a new license. Or is it possible to do a major change then reinstall the license by the methods you mention?

4. headcronie

I honestly don't know how often it happens. I deal with OS installations on a daily basis, but my licensing is in the Volume Licensing area, which is different than OEM & Consumer. I try as best I can to cover my ass and keep documentation on keys, just in case I need to key it in. Who really wants to buy a new license, if you can keep the one you already have, you just need to be able to access it? Not me!

I know that you can take a license key off the W7 COA sticker, plug in a W10 install disk to that machine, and enter that W7 key, and activate W10 permanently on that system. I've yet to do a similar task on a W8 system, as I've not had a system to rebuild with that OS on it yet, outside of my work environment.

5. raspabalsa

Something annyoing to report: since switching my accounts from Microsoft to local, I've been getting popups on my personal laptop, advising me to login to Microsoft so I won't "miss anything" (or words to that effect, my laptop is in Spanish). This popup appears about once a day, every day, but only on my personal laptop. They do not appear on my work laptop (I also switched to local regular account), or on my desktop PC (ditto). I wonder what's different on my personal laptop. More importantly, I can't find a way to turn these popups off. I think I'll hold off switching the accounts on my kids' and wife's computers until I know how to completely turn off these popups. Any idea where to do it?

6. headcronie

Copy down the exact wording. Drop that into Google in quotes and see if there are any clues. Hard to say without the exact wording as Microsoft is so damn pushy with notifications and the like. If you happen to post that message in Spanish here, I could try to look, but I no habla español, so there's that working against me...

Sent from my Samsung Galaxy Note 8 using Tapatalk

7. jigwashere

jigwashere Life is a circus!

8. headcronie

lelisa13p, RickAgresta and scjjtt like this.
  9. raspabalsa

Thanks, hc and jig. I didn't think of googling the popup :oops:. In fact, I didn't think of taking a picture of it, so now I'll have to wait until it appears again. I'll check the link in jig's post tonight while I wait for the popup to appear. Hmmm... my dark side (the non-nerdy, non-geeky side) just moaned that reading a tech-help page while sitting mostly immobile waiting for a popup to appear is no way to spend a Saturday night. To heck with him :D

scjjtt, jigwashere, lelisa13p and 2 others like this.
  10. RickAgresta

RickAgresta Peanut, leader of the Peanutty Forces

can the capture process be automated? Maybe some help here…
    Govt_help.jpg