2018: Thoughts on Anti-Virus and Anti-malware (Windows 10)

Discussion in 'Off Topic' started by Hook, May 14, 2018.

1. headcronie

headcronie Greyscale. Nuff Said. Super Moderator

I'm running W10 on a 2007 era x61 laptop/tablet. 11 year old system runs W10 just fine. It does have the advantage of being a Lenovo Thinkpad though.

Hook, lelisa13p and scjjtt like this.
  2. jigwashere

jigwashere Life is a circus!

Off topic: I just got warned that my HD might be failing. :( Time ensure backups are solid and start shopping for an SSD. I'm looking forward to the upgrade, but not all the work.

Hook, lelisa13p and scjjtt like this.
  3. headcronie

Shut down your system now, verify your backups using another system. If you're lucky, you might be able to clone your failing drive before it calls it quits. If not, you're looking at a rebuild.

Use Jellybean Keyfinder to locate your Windows key, in case you need to do a fresh install before you shut down your system.

jigwashere, Hook, lelisa13p and 3 others like this.
  4. scjjtt

scjjtt A Former Palm User

5. headcronie

Yep, saw that too. Those SSDs are not traditional drives, and unless you're running a self built or self installed SSD, or a specialty system, you're not likely to run into that drive. That one resides on the PCIe slot, vs running in the normal SATA slot. At least that's what I was picking up from the article and linked image. If Jig was running that drive, I'd not be surprised. But for the vast majority of us here, that would not be the case.

6. jigwashere

I've got an old fashioned HD and will upgrade to SATA SSD. My backups look solid, but I'll end up doing a rebuild anyway. I'll check out Jellybean Keyfinder to get the product key, but I'm under the impression that I shouldn't need it: there should be a digital signature that's stored on MS Activation Servers.

scjjtt and headcronie like this.
  7. headcronie

Should be, yes. Best to cover your bases just in case. Never know what they have stored, and there is little hope of free help from Microsoft should activation not work as planned.

Sent from my Samsung Galaxy Note 8 using Tapatalk

scjjtt and jigwashere like this.
  8. jigwashere

Looks like the Windows Product Key is available in Settings (Windows + I), click 'System,' scroll down and click 'About.'

scjjtt likes this.
  9. jigwashere

SSD arrives Saturday. Hopefully I can get back on topic, setting up my admin and standard accounts as well as anti-nonsense security features. ;)

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk

Last edited: May 17, 2018
    scjjtt and headcronie like this.
  10. headcronie

Don't think you're looking at the right thing. There's Product ID and Device ID, which are not the registration key...
    Key's aren't made readily available within Windows. They're either on a Certificate of Authenticity for W7 systems and earlier (unless you've purchased a refurbished system). Starting with W8, the license key is embedded in the BIOS and requires special software or a powershell command to view it.