2018: Thoughts on Anti-Virus and Anti-malware (Windows 10)

Discussion in 'Off Topic' started by Hook, May 14, 2018.

1. Hook

Hook Phone Killer ;-) Arrrrr...f

Thanks, HC. Will give that a try tonight when I get home.

2. raspabalsa

raspabalsa Brain stuck BogoMipping

Thank you very much, HC! That worked like a charm, quick and easy. I followed your steps, my main account is now regular, then I changed it to local also. AutoCAD still works ok, workspace as it has always been. Under Excel I lost the files pinned to the Open screen and the Recent files too. No big deal, I'll pin them again as I open them. Other than this, everything seems ok.

I just need to hide the new Admin account from the login screen. I remember there used to be an option to do this, but I can't find it now. Has it been moved elsewhere?

lelisa13p, Hook and scjjtt like this.
  3. jigwashere

jigwashere Life is a circus!

I've done this a few times while setting up my PC as well as PCs for other family members. I am the only one with an administrator account on all the PCs: everyone else is a standard user. My primary log in is 'standard user,' too.

Here are the steps to create a local, non-Microsoft administrator account, then downgrade your primary login to a standard account:
    1. Press Windows + I to open settings
    2. Click Accounts
    3. Click 'Family & other people'
    4. Click 'Add someone else to this PC'
    5. Click 'I don't have this person's sign-in information'
    6. Click 'Add a user without a Microsoft account.
    7. Enter a user name, password and password hint. Click Next.
    8. Select the account you just created and click 'Change account type.'
    9. Choose administrator from the dropdown.
    10. Give the 3-finger salute (Ctrl + Alt + Delete), switch users to the newly created account.
    11. Press Windows + I to open settings
    12. Click Accounts
    13. Click 'Family & other people'
    14. Click your primary user account (the one you previously used as administrator) and change account type to standard user.
    15. Have fun!

Last edited: May 15, 2018
  4. jigwashere

jigwashere Life is a circus!

Hiding user accounts from the log in screen requires a registry change. I'm not messing with it.

5. Hook

Hook Phone Killer ;-) Arrrrr...f

Wow! What a great thread this morphed into! Thanks to all:thumbsup:

Still haven't decided whether I'm going to add to my present security setup (Windows Defender + Malwarebytes Free), but if I do it will likely be the McAfee Suite I get free from work.

6. headcronie

headcronie Greyscale. Nuff Said. Super Moderator

On Windows 10 Home, the fastest way to get to user management, to change an account type is to do the following:
    upload_2018-5-15_10-3-45.png upload_2018-5-15_10-0-42.png upload_2018-5-15_10-1-13.png

scjjtt, lelisa13p, Hook and 2 others like this.
  7. headcronie

It has been moved, and the ways to limit this are dependent upon Pro or Home. This is also one of those areas where which version makes a difference. They've changed it quite a bit since 1607, and I don't have 1709 or 1803 on a Windows Home system to get correct screen grabs.

scjjtt, lelisa13p, raspabalsa and 3 others like this.
  8. headcronie

This thread moved so fast, and work has been in my face. I completely missed your nicely listed steps. Thanks for the detail, Jig! :)

9. EdmundDantes

EdmundDantes Mobile Deity

This is a very interesting discussion. I figured I had an MS account, because I recall that my laptop setup required an MS account (which bugged me at the time). However, going by that article HC linked, I use a username and a password (actually I use the PIN option, which is a bit easier). I have to look at following some of the things here and setting up an alternate non-admin account though.

10. headcronie

Do remember, you don't have to setup a new user and migrate to it. You can setup a new Admin account, and demote your regularly used account from admin to user. Far less fuss, and you don't have to rebuild the wheel again.

scjjtt, Hook, RickAgresta and 2 others like this.